Anyone else building log homes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metals,

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing on the way home last night. Thinking that maybe it would be good insurance. I'm would only be looking at a marginal increase, IMO, so it's only the leach field, isn't it?

Cheers,
TT

Not sure of your soil type, or local code?.. But a 4 bedroom should be in the neighborhood of a 1,500 gallon 2-compartment septic tank... If you're in a lot of rock, and bedrock... And example of the field would be 3 legs @ 80'... 30" wide, 36" deep and sand lined.

That is just in example, and would vary by your code and site conditions. The county will come out and evaluate your site, and the site evaluation will be given to a certified septic designer (sometimes the contractor is certified to design), and then you present the design to the county... They inspect your drawings, and add any changes they want to them... Then they have to be redrawn and resubmitted for final approval. This process can take months!

It's a long process, and a huge pain in the rear! Whatever happened to a hole in the ground and a box over it? ;)

My point being, with all the headache to get approved, even before a shovel can touch dirt, why would you want to do it again? If you feel you may want to add a shop with a bathroom, and an extra bedroom on the house... Go over-sized for 5 bedrooms. Even if you never add anything, being over-sized only makes your system last that much longer anyway. It's a win-win.

P.S. The tank gets bigger with an increase in bedrooms, as well as the field size.

I'll have to ask the how much more it will cost to go 4 bedroom.

My soil has been tested and the results stated I would need 37' per bedroom. Soil is very rich, very red in color. Looks like great soil, too bad that the deer will eat anything that is not in the area. *lol*

There was a young buck on the property, barely had his antlers.

I've seen spots on the trees where the bucks rub their antlers during season.

Cheers,
TT

I'll have to ask the how much more it will cost to go 4 bedroom.

My soil has been tested and the results stated I would need 37' per bedroom. Soil is very rich, very red in color. Looks like great soil, too bad that the deer will eat anything that is not in the area. *lol*

There was a young buck on the property, barely had his antlers.

I've seen spots on the trees where the bucks rub their antlers during season.

Cheers,
TT

Sounds like your perk tests went well then... Check into the 4 bedroom septic, and post your results of the difference... I'm curious myself.

I'll let you know when I find out.
We have just moved from a septic system, it was a old one.
Believe me make it large enough now not later.

And please only use plastic pipe & guard the leach field.

Keep all shrubs, bushes & any deep root growing plants out of it.

If a heavy paper user have manhole covers where you can stir the tanks.

And for savings on tank service use bakers yeast & keep harsh chemicals out of your tanks.

Avoid dumping kitchen grease in your septic system.

And the list grows.

But above all protect it, it is doing the same for your home.

A video of my big blue oak, as well as some of the surrounding area on my property where the log home will go.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kTrtuRF8HzY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kTrtuRF8HzY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I am so glad you were able to connect with an arborist of Robert's caliber. :clap::clap:

Aren't you glad you asked? ;) So many people don't and then are faced with declining trees after the fact. Or perhaps took out trees that could have been saved.

Good luck as your dream home progresses. :cheers:

Sylvia

I am so glad you were able to connect with an arborist of Robert's caliber. :clap::clap:
I'm extremely grateful to be able to have someone like Robert to work on it, no doubt.
Aren't you glad you asked? ;) So many people don't and then are faced with declining trees after the fact. Or perhaps took out trees that could have been saved.
Yes, I'm not out of the woods yet though...so to speak...I need to measure everything and get it marked out, and make sure that everything will fit in and have clearance. I think I'll be able to juggle it. I have some limitations on where the septic can go, so there are a few elements that are dependent on each other (i.e., septic, porches, basement, etc...)

Robert Phillips has checked with the county and we don't have any real limitations on the oaks, which is interesting. But I need to submit a site plan to my home owner's association to let them know what we'll be doing with the trees.
Good luck as your dream home progresses. :cheers:
I will certainly do that, building a house is an ever and ongoing project, as you know! :)

Many thanks to you for recommending Robert Phillips, I thank you much for that Sylvia! :cheers:

Cheers,
TT

I just won this broad axe on ebay. I have been looking for one for a loooonnnnnggggg, looooooonnnnnnnnggggg time and most of the ones I see are pretty badly pitted. This was was in really nice shape, but a tad short with a 9 1/2" edge. I have read that 12 1/2" was common for a full size broad axe. Still, this look very nice, and you can see the lamination, so it must be forge welded with tool steel on the back plate.

attachment.php

Not sure if this fits the topic of this forum, but since this is for non-pros, I qualify! ;) :clap:

Do you know, you could build a home with a broad axe, a mule, and 5 wooded acres....:)

I just won this broad axe on ebay. I have been looking for one for a loooonnnnnggggg, looooooonnnnnnnnggggg time and most of the ones I see are pretty badly pitted. This was was in really nice shape, but a tad short with a 9 1/2" edge. I have read that 12 1/2" was common for a full size broad axe. Still, this look very nice, and you can see the lamination, so it must be forge welded with tool steel on the back plate.

attachment.php

Not sure if this fits the topic of this forum, but since this is for non-pros, I qualify! ;) :clap:

Do you know, you could build a home with a broad axe, a mule, and 5 wooded acres....:)

Wow, neat old tool for sure! You don't really plan on hand hewing all the logs do you?

Wow, neat old tool for sure! You don't really plan on hand hewing all the logs do you?
That hasn't been the plan. The plan has been to mill the sides off the timbers, and slab it up and sell that to help pay for some of the timber. That is what my friend currently does. I have only purchased the timber, and not sure if it was delivered or not, I don't think so. I think it is being harvested. There's a lot of work to mill, and prepare the logs, so that they can be dovetailed.

I am not sure if I'll adze the sides or not, or if I'll use the broad axe, both have their own unique qualities. But my friend in WV has a planer head on one end of his mill that is 24" wide, and he can handle up to about 36' timbers with a bed extension. My longest timbers will be 32'. He has done some tests and likes how the logs look after planed, so I'd like to see before deciding what to do.

Cheers,
TT

PS - I guess someone thinking about swingin' an axe is unheard of these days...but...it can be done...and done well at that...

That hasn't been the plan. The plan has been to mill the sides off the timbers, and slab it up and sell that to help pay for some of the timber. That is what my friend currently does. I have only purchased the timber, and not sure if it was delivered or not, I don't think so. I think it is being harvested. There's a lot of work to mill, and prepare the logs, so that they can be dovetailed.

I am not sure if I'll adze the sides or not, or if I'll use the broad axe, both have their own unique qualities. But my friend in WV has a planer head on one end of his mill that is 24" wide, and he can handle up to about 36' timbers with a bed extension. My longest timbers will be 32'. He has done some tests and likes how the logs look after planed, so I'd like to see before deciding what to do.

Cheers,
TT

PS - I guess someone thinking about swingin' an axe is unheard of these days...but...it can be done...and done well at that...

Oh, I know all about hand hewn, and hand peeling, and hand work! LOL I've done my share... The reason I asked, was because of time. Most construction loans are good for 12 months (without extensions)... I know some folks that tried to stick build and couldn't hit the 1 year mark.

It was an observation of time... The more you do by hand, especially with inexperience, makes a project like yours a whole new ballgame. I hope you got a lot of friends that like beer and BBQ, and will come throw in! LOL

:cheers:

Most construction loans are good for 12 months (without extensions)... I know some folks that tried to stick build and couldn't hit the 1 year mark.
Good point, but so far this is all out of pocket, no loans involved. I owned the land for 10 years, title is free and clear. I sold off some stocks I had acquired at the last company I worked, through employee stock purchase plan. Dumped those and along with my severance I'm trying to get the log work done. Currently working through finalizing the plans, then the structural engineer, HOA approval, then county for the building permit.

I have some more stocks that I'll sell when I need to put the foundation in. I'm hoping to build the home close to my house, so once I get things setup and have a place to store/work the timber, I'll look for work again.

I'm going back to WV a week from tomorrow to sort some of the stuff out.

Cheers,
TT

Last edited:
Good point, but so far this is all out of pocket, no loans involved. I owned the land for 10 years, title is free and clear. I sold off some stocks I had acquired at the last company I worked, through employee stock purchase plan. Dumped those and along with my severance I'm trying to get the log work done. Currently working through finalizing the plans, then the structural engineer, HOA approval, then county for the building permit.

I have some more stocks that I'll sell when I need to put the foundation in. I'm hoping to build the home close to my house, so once I get things setup and have a place to store/work the timber, I'll look for work again.

I'm going back to WV a week from tomorrow to sort some of the stuff out.

Cheers,
TT

That's the way to do it if you can... Got a buddy up here building his home out of pocket... It can be a slower process, but he won't have a mortgage when it's all said and done.

That's the way to do it if you can... Got a buddy up here building his home out of pocket... It can be a slower process, but he won't have a mortgage when it's all said and done.
I don't want you to believe I don't have a mortgage, I do. But it is for the home we live in now. ;)

The plan is to continue doing this out of pocket and hope to get to a point where I have it dried in. Then it will take some time to finish, not sure how long, just that it will take me time. So yes, in that regard it will be a slower process. I can only project to the dry-in, I don't have much money after that, but think I can get it dried in. It will certainly take time, it's taken me 10 years to get as far as I am, and I haven't even broken ground yet. :rolleyes:

OTOH, I plan to handcraft everything, including the cabinets, some of the furniture, the built-ins, etc...

The plan is that I will leave this to the kids, without a mortgage on it. My gift for them to remember me by.

Cheers,
TT

Made some progress!

Well, I'm back in West Virginia now and made some progress. We spent a day getting the limestone and pads setup, making sure they were level, and got a couple of the sills in position.

I have a lot of work to do in getting the rest of the logs ready, and will be spending a good amount of time milling the sides off so I can ship them back to California where I will finish the build.

I used a Husky 345 and a Husky 141 today with .325 chain. Then I cleaned things up with chisels and a hand plane, checking by using a level with black crayon marked on it, to show where the high spots were. The idea was to leave the center low so that the outer perimeter so that the joint will be clean when assembled. On the last pic you can see the black crayon around the edge of the dovetail.

The log I practiced on:

attachment.php

Here's the start of the home:

attachment.php

And here's a close-up of the first sill dovetail:

attachment.php

Cheers,
TT

Looking good!

This will be a fun build to watch. :cheers:
It will take me a while to pull it all together, so be patient! :rolleyes:
Are you building this in WV and shipping to CA? ???
I'm starting it in WV, but only think I'll be able to get a couple rounds of logs, if lucky. I will at least get the sills and part of the 2nd round, I need to do that so I know how to finish the home. I do a bit of woodworking, but this is the first time I've worked with such large timbers.

Normally when you have a handcrafted home built for you, the craftsman will build it at their yard and they number all the logs, disassemble it and ship to your prepared foundation with sub floor and reassemble it. This is pretty common for many forms of log homes.

I will get the sills and possibly one course on top, but will ship the prep'd logs (the timber will be milled in WV to remove the sides) back to California and finish it there, after which time I will number it, ship it to my property (also in California) where I will have the foundation and sub floor waiting. The log craftsman that is helping me with this project (and who I've known for a number of years now) will help me reassemble it. I will pay for him to fly out to California to help me.

This is traditional style Appalachian style of building with square logs and chinking. Or what is referred to as square logs, I'll leave the top/bottom on the logs and the chink line will be wavy.

This is also the first time he has worked with a DIY owner/builder, but it seems to be working out ok and he said he would consider doing this with other folks possibly. I think it takes a very unique person to work with a craftsman like him, and it just so happens that we are able to do so. I wouldn't have attempted this without his help, he's been building log homes for more than 30 years, and I consider him to be one of the best in the industry. Good for me that things were slow for him, and that I'm out of work at the moment with funds to start it.

Most of my logs should be arriving in the next day or two. Buying 10,000+ board feet of timber is a bit daunting, I'll admit! :dizzy:

Cheers,
TT

Made some more progress and have the sills done. Had a few mistakes that I had to work through, but luckily a friend was able to assist and work through it and all is well.

Here's an updated pic.

attachment.php

It sure feels good to be able to work on my log home finally, even though I know it will take quite a while to complete.

Here's a close-up of one of the joints.

attachment.php

Regards,
TT

Back