anyone else burn aluminum cans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
volks-man

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
i thought maybe i could melt an aluminum soda can in my garage wood stove. i figured i could just shovel the puddle out after it cooled.
i was wrong.
the cans are totally incinerated!:dizzy:
neat stuff!

anyone else have these bouts with insanity?:)
what have you tried to burn?

edit: i don't burn all my cans. i just burn one from time to time as a conversation point.

Last edited:
November Wolf

November Wolf

ArboristSite Operative
In michigan we take the cans back to the store and get .10 cents.:)

When I was younger I put bunch of plastic in my dads garage wood stove and that thing was cherry red for hours. Had to leave the overhead door open and watch it cause we thought the stove was going to melt and burn the place down.

Last edited:
smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
double up

When you go to the store for the next ration of beer.

Take the cans then.

============

Depending on the grade/type of aluminum, aluminum melts at around 1200 degrees F.
A decent wood fire gets that easily.

=============

Ever thought of making an incendiary device for the purpose of arson that would be in a completely consumed container that wouldn't attract attention?
(It wouldn't be a pop/beer can. Too many people could gather it.)

Also, someone would remember this post and turn me in.

If you want serious fun. Something more than a few million drunk hunters already know. Put Magnesium in a fire. Throw some water on it once it gets going to cool it off. 5000 degrees will burn right through your wood stove. Steel is nothing (around 2300 F. as I recall).

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
i thought maybe i could melt an aluminum soda can in my garage wood stove. i figured i could just shovel the puddle out after it cooled.
i was wrong.
the cans are totally incinerated!:dizzy:
neat stuff!

anyone else have these bouts with insanity?:)
what have you tried to burn?

I had a friend who ran a scrap yard and tried to melt down cans into billets like he did with other aluminum scrap. Ended up baling them for the same reason as you discovered.

Aluminum does 'burn'. It is used in rocket fuel, thermite, etc.

Philbert

WVwoodsman

WVwoodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I will toss one in every now and then. Many years ago in my days of youthful indescretion when I was in scouts some of us had the idea to toss a plastic milk crate in the camp fire after the adults went to bed. This made a small fire huge within minutes. The burning melted plastic lit up the whole area and was not easily put out. Another time I as camping with a friend and he tossed some bullets in the camp fire. I saw him do this as he quickly darted behind a big tree to take cover. I told him he as really nuts and that we could have gotten hurt. This was stupid. Nothing bad happend, but it very well could have ended tragically.

forestryworks

forestryworks

Addicted to ArboristSite
i've put unopened dr peppers and cokes in a fire and ran for cover...

the loud boom is enough to get the sleeping dead out of their tents - running!

clutch25

clutch25

ArboristSite Operative
I've burned thousands of cans and bottles and waste oil and.....

With the magnesium...old Lawn Boy mower decks are made with it...I had a couple laying around and broke them up with a hammer. Tossed em in the campfire and you won't be able to see for 3 days!

Now I have a buddy bring a couple a year from the scrape yard just for that reason...good show!

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
This post won't mean much to many that read it, but to the metallurgist in some of us, I think it's a cool (well about 1300 deg cool ) trick.

Anyone that needs some super soft normalized steel, toss it in an aluminum can and keep a consistent fire around it.

It is my bet that a fire that just barely eats away an aluminum can is somewhere in the 1300 Deg. F range, perfect to normalize most steels if baked for a day or so and slowly allowed to return to ambient temp.

Look close for the can, it is wrapped with wire and full of projects, note the far right a chunk of bar stock to even the temp in the can.

attachment.php

After about a day in the can, even ball-barring steel can be carved with about any file.

Last edited:
volks-man

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
This post won't mean much to many that read it, but to the metallurgist in some of us, I think it's a cool (well about 1300 deg cool ) trick.

Anyone that needs some super soft normalized steel, toss it in an aluminum can and keep a consistent fire around it.

After about a day in the can, even ball-barring steel can be carved with about any file.

interesting.
can it be re-hardened?

EastwoodGang4

EastwoodGang4

ArboristSite Operative
There was a post a while back that said burning aluminum cans in the wood burner cleaned out creosote. So I tried it too and the cans just disapear.... and like others pointed out those cans are worth $$ so what's the point of burning them :givebeer:

Suz

ArboristSite Guru
Burning aluminim cans

I throw in 3 or 4 aluminum cans in my wood burner to help with the creosote build up in the chimney. I heard this works and it must because I've not had a chimney fire since using the cans.
When I clean the chimney all I find is a little 'dust' that gets knocked down with the brush.