Anyone else fired up their woodstove yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll be firing up the wood stove and the pellet stove tonight. In true procrastination style that means today is a busy day of cleaning both chimneys and fire boxes, then bringing wood up from the pile to the house. I say the same thing as everyone else, when I shut down in the spring I’ll get to it in a few days...then it’s fall and I’m behind the 8ball.

Most likely this morning will be the first fire of the year. Supposed to be in the mid 30s the up to 70s in the afternoon. Small fire to take the chill off.

It's 38 outside and 60 in here I don't have time to start a fire and no one here will maintain it when I'm at work so I may have to use some propane. I'm going to clean the chimney this weekend.

Had a fire in the fireplace last night and will again when I get home today. 36 this morning and going up to around 60. No sense in firing up the OWB because it's going mid to upper 70's for another week after today.

Been very mild for the time of year here, so I haven't lit the stove in a week or more. Ophelia hit us yesterday and brought really warm air from the Azores and a Saharan dust cloud that turned the sky orange over most of the country!

londonorange.jpg

Felt apocalyptic, got dark enough that street lights were on in the middle of the day, but at 22C when the seasonal average high is bout half that it was WARM.

Had a fire in the fireplace last night and will again when I get home today. 36 this morning and going up to around 60. No sense in firing up the OWB because it's going mid to upper 70's for another week after today.

Same here that's y I just let the propane furnace warm it up quick and it will be good for the rest of the week.

Lots of trucks running back and forth this time of the year. Happens like clockwork, people getting their wood, weeks before the snow begins in earnest. I split a cord of 2yo sell seasoned bucked wood to replenish what I have had to burn due to the unseasonably cold weather. Looks like I will begin November with a full 8 cords. The most I have ever had to burn was last year, 7 cords.

Burning strong all day. Started this morning at 49 degrees around midnight so I didn't light the stove til 6am when the house finally cooled off. Temps been dropping steady all day thanks to 30mph NW winds. No real snow yet but it's sure hitting the Fargo and Grand Forks area. Supposed to be coming but only 14 little flurries so far. Still forecasted to get up to 3" tonight but I doubt it'll happen.

20171026_185337.jpg

Fired up the OWB last night just to take the chill out of the house. Mid 50's yesterday, with a high of 60 today. House would have been in the low 60's if I didn't.

I broke my own rule today...never fire up the furnace before my birthday (11/1) ... House was a cold 62° and with a high on Sat of 44° and a low of 30° I figured I'd blow the dust off the burner and see if the fans would kick on.

Looks like I've gained back 8° and it's cycling as it should ..yuck , I want summer back.

Have only had 3 burns this fall and it's almost November. Close enough & warm enough that I might make it to then without a 4th. Has been an absolutely beautiful fall here, high temp records being set almost every day for a couple weeks now. Not sure it will make up for last spring that drug out forever & had me burning I think into June - but I'll take it.

My plan was to get boiler up and running this past Wednesday.

I decided to get after it Tuesday after work. One small hiccup but got pumps turned on in house and shop about 7pm with a water temp of 170.

Good thing I got the stove going when I did. I also got my flu shot Tuesday.

I was wiped out Wednesday, Thursday sucked at work, and I told them I was not coming in Friday. I slept all day yesterday and just dinked with stove.

So dealing with it Wednesday would not have been good. IMG_2762.JPG

Back