Anyone else sick of burning wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WE've heated my house since day one with the wood burning method. Back in 90, mom and dad bought this place and put a basic wood burner in. in 2006 i bought it from them. I been heating it with wood just as they have. Sure..its hard labor, but its fun labor. Gives me the chance to get out my toys and make noise at 7am! lol Plus it keeps me outta the house.. (tv is the devil...) Its WAY cheaper than natural gas! Like a a post i read a few above mine, it keeps ya from gettin fat and worthless. I know if i didnt chuck wood, i'd be a fatty mc-Fat pants. lol (Maybe?) Cuz if i didnt, i'd prolly sit here on "AS" or "ebay" spendin money instead. lol

In the long run, cuttin, splittin, burning wood pays off! Keeps ya outdoors, in shape for the most part, and keeps the hard earned money in our pockets, where it belongs! Not in the pockets of all the big oil/electric tycoons.

+2 for everyone who burns wood!

Although I work for a large electric utility company and get a nice discount on my electricity, I still love to burn wood. I have what seems to be a never ending supply of wood on my property. Plus, cutting, splitting and stacking helps keep me in pretty good shape.

And even more importantly----It makes my wife so happy to feel the warmth of the wood stove, especially when it snows. She even likes to have big snow storms so we can be stuck here at home. Alone. Just the two of us. :heart::biggrinbounce2:

Yep. I think I will always keep a few logs in the fire until I can't. Know what I mean???? ;);)

Well, a year has gone by and guess what? I didn't put the propane furnace in yet and got the furnace going last week. Got about 4 cords of oak, ash, and elm in the basement. Halfway there. My back is killing me! I get into a rut every few years where I am sick of it then it's right back to normal. I do think in the not to distant future the wood furnace is going to go. I also heat a small shop with wood and I think that may be enough. Everyone is right about being out in the woods and getting exercise is the best part. Found a nice 10 point deer skull the other day by a tree I was getting ready to cut up. The cutting is fun but the loading, splitting, loading, stacking is the work part. Sure is fun to read all the responses.

I heat my upstairs with a large pellet stove for most of the coldest part of the heating season here in Ontario.Pellets here are about $4.95 CND/bag.
I use about 75 bags a year.
It works out well with the open concept space upstairs. Also have a great ceiling fan in the 14' cathedral ceiling over the living/dining/kitchen area so that helps.
But early and late season I heat with wood and a large woodstove centrally located in the basement.
Both are effective and the pellet stove is really cheap to run. About $400 for the heating season as opposed to $3000-$3500 for gas, electric oil or propane.
I guess I use about two or cords a year of firewood in the early and late burn season.
Not too bad but enough to keep me busy in the Fall, cutting, splitting and stacking.
It's fun!
~Stan
Madoc, Ontario, Canada
:chainsawguy:

Like stated by some guys..nothing beats going in the woods felling a tree and smelling that awesome 2 stroke smell. I can't think of any other way to get exercise. I used to go to the gym..now I go to the woods. :rock:

I can't think of any other way to get exercise. I used to go to the gym..now I go to the woods. :rock:[/QUOTE]

Same here, I don't miss that gym one bit, even though I feel like a truck hit me after a day of cutting. And I'll have to say that cutting for the OWB is much more enjoyble (used to have an inside stove). Bigger pieces, and just knowing none of it will ever see the inside of my house.

The only aspect of wood burning I'm getting tired of is bending over or kneeling to load my ground level insert. Wood burning devices at ground level just isn't a great design IMO. I fantasize about having a masonry heater with a waist level firebox and built in alcoves for wood storage. Some day.

After a few years of burning 10 cords/year I still really love to burn wood. Every time someone mentions their gas bill, complains about their house being cold, etc. I just smile. I am reminded again how much I enjoy almost every aspect of wood burning - I am grateful that I see it as a hobby rather than a chore.

Burning gets tedious for me usually around May...mostly just because I'm eager for the seasons to change.

Love burning this time of year. Split up about a cord of 2011/12's supply yesterday. With the stove going in the house, it is a great tangible reminder as to why it's all worthwile

After a few years of burning 10 cords/year I still really love to burn wood. Every time someone mentions their gas bill, complains about their house being cold, etc. I just smile. I am reminded again how much I enjoy almost every aspect of wood burning - I am grateful that I see it as a hobby rather than a chore.

My sentiments exactly.

While I also love the savings aspect, my biggest payback is in not hearing that bloody furnace fan cycle every ten minutes. Hot enough here in the Summer that a/c is a fact of life, but I like to give the fan(s) the rest of the year off.

I think maybe I'm getting burned out. It's not so much the burning wood, I love the heat it gives off, as it is all the work involved. I've been heating my house for 17 years with wood. Before that is was the folks house. I'm not getting any younger and its alot more work than it used to be. My time is limited and it seems every spare moment is spent cutting wood in the fall. I'm thinking of having an lp furnace installed for next year. The gov't rebate thing has helped to make up my mind. I'm not going to completely quit burning wood but it would be nice to burn it when I want not the other way around. I can afford the lp, thats not the issue. I've been cutting wood for so long it would seem weird to not have to depend on it. I would still heat my shop with wood and house during jan and feb, and imagine in no time I would have a five year supply for that. To only have to cut four or five cord a year would make it seem fun. I've got plenty of easy cutting so thats not the problem. Anybody else go through this. I have thought of just buying the wood but that isn't done much around hear. Would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks

Instead of buying that new LP furnace, go out and get some killer firewood equipment. Maybe a new saw, or a nice splitter. Maybe build a really nice woodshed. That should get you back in the spirit of things.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got a 5100, 346 and 365 special along with a 028 av super and a 55 rancher. I think I'm set as far as chainsaws go I'm set. As far as splitters go, I have a three point mounted splitter that goes on a 1066 international. The tractor also has a loader on it. I can use a timberwolf tw-5 splitter when I want to. The timberwolf is awesome. The wood shed is an old cattle shed that will hold about a 100 cord of wood. Mind you I've only had about 10 cord in there at a time. I'm back into the swing of things, got about 10 cord cut this year so far. If it would just quit snowing I would easily get another 4 or 5 cord done before Christmas. Hope your wood cutting goes well for you.

I'm with Gwiley...glad I still enjoy my hobby of cutting/splitting/stacking/burning.
Farmermike...that is pure blashemy...you never can have enough saws!

Fortunate out here to have big fir trees, so when they do go down and you spend a day bucking and splitting, you end up with with 1-2 cords of wood with easy to handle branches. A lot of the limbs are 4-6" diameter, so they get cut to firewood length as well. Easy to split, burn long and hot and leave little ash. My only problem is falling asleep when I sit down by the stove!

at my parent`s house we used firewood for 20 yrs+
now it is gas heated system. much comfortable.
truth be told at some point I got tired of starting fire every day
especially when I came home in the winter and it was rather cold inside.
and after a while, there was too hot ...

I know what you mean by never having enough chainsaws. The 5100 was kind of a let down for me, but I've got my eye on a 346 ne. Wasn't to many years ago all I had was an 029 stihl. Didn't have any idea there were better saws out there. Just kept it filled with gas and oil and ran for over ten years. Cut a ton of wood with that saw. My first saw was a 042 stihl. Weighed a ton and when I got the 029 I was in heaven! I still love the sawing part, it's the rest I could do without sometimes.

Latest posts

Back