Anyone ever make a Muffler Gasket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lary

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need to make a muffler gasket for my Partner 500, well at least I think I should? I am worried about the possible sucking in some air and harming the P/C. I have made one in the past by stacking 4 pcs of 10 tho shim stock (last week in fact). I am wondering if you could use thick gasket material instead? I think if it was sandwhiched tightly inbetween the muff and jug It would not burn out, (lack of air to combust? ) Anyway if you ever made one tell me what you used metal-beer can? / or fiber of some sort. Jeff

Just made one the other day for a Homelite I'm working on.

The saw originally came from the factory with none (according to the IPL), but there was plenty of evidence that the seal wasn't very good.

I cut a piece off a sheet of some Mr Gasket high performance stuff I have. Has metal mesh in it, so trimming was done with tin snips and the interior was cut with a Dremel.

After the welding repair to the muffler is complete, I'm thinking it should work out well.

You can buy graphite coated/impregnated gasket material in various thickness's from Ebay some has wire/foil in the centre some doe`s not I have used both types with no problems, googling [exhaust gasket material] will get you up to speed with what is available

I think NAPA carries bulk gasket material you can use. It is the thicker mesh reinforced type. I have a sheet of it that I have cut several from. A tiny leak at the exhaust port is not much of a problem unless it is leaking on to your plastic and melting it.

Permatex Ultra Copper.

Later AMC engines came with no (or few) gaskets. The exhaust manifolds used no gaskets and the surfaces were machined smooth. I always used Permatex Ultra Copper on my 360 manifolds. On one of them one of the rear exhaust port studs had broken off. I pulled the manifold and coated it with Permatex Ultra Copper as a temporary repair. I never got around to fixing it and it held fine for years. You only need a thin coating, no need to overdo it.

Last edited:
You can buy graphite coated/impregnated gasket material in various thickness's from Ebay some has wire/foil in the centre some doe`s not I have used both types with no problems, googling [exhaust gasket material] will get you up to speed with what is available

I guess I never gave any thought to searching out new material maybe I will. Thanks Jeff

I think NAPA carries bulk gasket material you can use. It is the thicker mesh reinforced type. I have a sheet of it that I have cut several from. A tiny leak at the exhaust port is not much of a problem unless it is leaking on to your plastic and melting it.

Well there ya go, I was wondering how signifigant it was if there was a leak at the muffler contact point ? I understand leaking around the carb being not good.Thanks Jeff

By the time I get done gutting the mufflers on my saws a gasket is the last thing you need:biggrinbounce2:

Well thats why I asked here to let all the minds answer get all the good ones opinion's thanks I will keep that in mind maybe it aint to critical after all ? More courious than anything I guess. Thanks Jeff

Multi Quote ?

Well if your reading this you can see what I have done here. I answered each post with a seperate post/ reply. Is there a way to reply to each person in one post ? is that what this place calls a Multi Quote? :dizzy:and how do you do that?

A piece of gutter off ur house of home depot sells them and all kinds of aluminum flashing.If you have a punch set sharp enough u can punch out the holes or drill em, dremel etc.

i made one out of an old graphite head gasket from a car i did the head gasket on. worked good. better then oem. the only thing is that the head gasket has some kind of sticky sealant over the graphite that really melts when exposted to exhaust temps. was pretty well glued to the cylinder next time i removed it. had a bit@# of a time cleaning it off. did the same method the next time but torched the sticky stuff first. it hardened and made a really nice seal. won't know what kind of a mess it made til next time i take it off. did one on my 3120 a couple weeks ago. used aluminum flashing and it worked great :msp_thumbup:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back