anyone ever modify their splitter to travel better?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lugnutz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever modded their store bought splitter with larger tires or wider axles to make it more road friendly. Honestly these things come from the store set up just barely good enough to make it home !

I have been eyeballing my splitter.. thinking of taller wheels, would need to modify the fenders to allow room.. BUT this would serve another function too. My splitter sits 4 inches to low for me.. so lifting it with taller tires would safe my back too.. :clap: Right now there are other projects before this rebuild so there it sits.:dizzy:

My dad bought his first splitter in 1977 and talked me into goin into the firewood business with him. We pulled it home, about 4 miles and the wheel bearings were shot. Come to find out, they were assembled dry, no grease at all. My old man was pissed, he dragged it back up there and tore them a new one. He left with new hubs and bearings, well greased.

I dragged that splitter with small 8" rims all over the place for about 12 years and never had any trouble. Most of the time goin too fast.:)

Best reason for taller tires is to get it up off the ground, for a better work height. :msp_wink:

I trailer mine if I go anywhere "far". Given that, I also have an old walkbehind mower with a blown motor...was thinking of removing the wheel motors/cotrol and making the first hydraulic drive walk behind tw-6. The bolt patterns for the wheels are the same so I could use the road tires as drive wheels and the caster wheels where the jack stand is.

For your idea. taller tires are a good way to go. You could also add torsion axles (from a motorcycle trailer) to keep the bouncing down.

Thats about all that left of the Toyota, I bought new in 1977 and drove for over 500k before retiring...then decide to mount the splitter in the box for easier/better towing and gear hauling..

The splitter can be used vertical or horizonal and operated/loaded from either side as the lift and work table and changed side to side in just seconds. Splitter beam slides back into box for transport and can easily be set up by one person, even an ol man with a bad back, namely me...:D

Can't seem to figure this picture post to thread out...

Last edited:
I like that!! not only does it make takin the splitter with you easier, you have a place to put your saws when you fill the truck up too full!

Latest posts

Back