Anyone ever seen one of these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Ha!

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
I bet it clogs up real easy. ;)

I doubt it very seriously. It has two blowers on it and the second drum looks like it only processes the chips a second time. I have run a 16” drum chipper with a Ford six cylinder since I was a kid and only got it clogged up once that I remember. I think that chipper would produce a much better chip than a single drum. We played around with the chips trying to get a marketable product but gave up.

Anythings a marketable product! It's a matter of the P's of marketing:
<li>Product: Mulch is mulch.
<li>Price: Find that sweet spot!
<li>Place: A matter of distribution!
<li>Promotion: Pump, yeah, pump, yeah pump it up!

hey i liked it nick,your responce to selling mulch was spot on also,chip quality is in the eye of the beholder.

Originally posted by treebender
chip quality? guys, fresh wood chips are not mulch.

But they will be mulch in a year and then you would have to reprocess them if you don't have them chipped well!
Kill two birds with one stone not the other way around!
Later
John

Nelson had 2 of these, I ran one for a couple years. Woodchuck
Mine had an inline 6 diesel turbo.
first drum the brush sees in a normal bladed drum
Second was a hammermill. Had 4 rods across an open drum, with metal tabs hanging from it. metal on edge along the bottom of the drum carrier
Chips came out like sawdust.
Discharge chute was welded at 1/2 load. My truck GVW was 30,000 lbs with cat engine. anymore than 1/2 load was bad.
Truck hit overloads just jacking the chipper down onto it.
Helluva chipper though
0Ralph

That machine looks more home-made to me. If you'll notice, the back end is an Altec Whisper Chipper, the front-end is a Woodchuck.

Nick, I read the same texts and do agree that composting of chips is desirable. It might even be necessary for tender plants. It absolutely , unequivocally is NOT essential to compost chips before using them as mulch around trees- I've seen it done and watched the results enough to be sure. IF the chips (say from a stump grinding operation) are mixed into the soil that a young tree is planted in, nitrogen robbing will be evident the first year. If the chips are only used as a mulch/topdressing no symptoms appear. (And the trees do far better than unmulched ones).:angel:

Back