Anyone have any Mobile 1 2-stroke synthetic left?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And now that I look at the last bottle ot M1 2T that I have, indeed it says JASO FC rated on the back, and proposed ISO-EGD.

Looking on my JASO list, here are the 2T oils that are JASO FD rated (of several hundred on the list):

Castrol Power 1 (never seen it on any shelves most carry smokey Castrol FB 2T oil here)
Citgo Superguard (no Citgo stations out here)
PELICO 2Cycle FD (never seen it either)
Echo Power Blend (Home Depot has it in small containers)
Gulf Price 2T Plus (no can find this stuff)
Motil 710 (I have found other Motil oils, but not 710)
Motil 510 (ditto)
Nippon FD 2Cycle (never seen it)
Challanger 2T (never seen it)
Pennsoil 2-Cycle Air-cooled FD (never seen it)
Sakura Super Matic FD (never seen this either)
Castle 2-cycle FD (never seen it)
Elf Moto 2HP ECO (veeeeery spendy stuff)
Redmax 50:1 Pro Blend (found a gallon at one bike shop)
Pro Guard (never seen it)
PittPEN 2cycle FD (never seen it)
Kaitenkijyouzu 2 cycle FD (say that 5 times? Never seen it)
Yamaha Autolube super (asked for it, never in stock)

Many of the oils listed above are also sold under the same names with JASO FC ratings, so you have to be careful about what you buy. I guess if Mobil 1 was FC rated, I can get by with a lesser oil than I thought. For some reason I thought that it was JASO FD rated.

Last edited:
If it's such good stuff why did they discontinue it?

I never got an answer on this one. I asked several dealers, and got shrugs in reply. Looked on th earlier AS oil threads on Mobil 1, and did not see the answer there either.

Stihl Ultra is hard to find around here. Not all dealers carry it. Most that do only have the tiny bottles (and that costs a fortune). Most dealers have the plain orange bottles, and maybe the semi-synthetic. Lakeside said that the semi-synthetic is not nearly as good. The JASO ratings on the full synthetic were not as good as the semi-synthetic though. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I also looked at the Husky mix, but my Stihls would probably just puke that stuff up if I fed it to them.
Ouch! I have a bunch of quarts but after that, I might not let you have any! lol

I wouldn't be too bent about the FC versus FD rating (Can anyone explain the meanings of the specs?) Been running 2T for years now with stellar results...

Bought about 35 quarts from some forum member over a year ago...just now ran out of my old stock...Think i'm set for a few years!

mtgrs737,

Read carefully, Mobil 1 2T is not JASO-FD "certified" either which is the oil in question in this thread. Besides, whether or not an oil is certified means nothing if it still meets those requirements.

From Mobil 1:
Applications - Mobil 1 Racing 2T is recommended for lubrication of two-stroke engines used in the highest performance motorcycles, snowmobiles and lean oil/fuel ratio chain saws. It is ideal for applications where API TC or JASO FC performance standards are recommended. The product provides outstanding performance even in the harshest operating conditions.

Specifications and Approvals - Mobil 1 Racing 2T meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:
API TC
ISO E-GC/E-GD
JASO FC
TISI Meets

EDIT: Here is the M1 2T data sheet in case you would like to skim it. http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxenpvlmomobil1_racing_2t.pdf

The difference I see is that Mobil One 2T says that it "Meets or exceeds those industry specifications" where Amsoil states that it is "recomended for use" where those oils are specified. Not trying to get into a Pi$$ing contest with you, only pointing out that Amsoil is not tested. Personaly I have used Saber and had no problems with it, but their hype turns me off. I am a huge fan of Mobil One Racing 2T oil.

I wouldn't be too bent about the FC versus FD rating (Can anyone explain the meanings of the specs?) Been running 2T for years now with stellar results...

Bought about 35 quarts from some forum member over a year ago...just now ran out of my old stock...Think i'm set for a few years!

JASO F rating are a series of detergency, smoke, exhaust plugging, and exhaust blocking tests.

The only difference between FC and FD is the FC uses a one-hour detergency test and the FD uses a three-hour detergency test. All other aspects are the same.

Last edited:
The difference I see is that Mobil One 2T says that it "Meets or exceeds those industry specifications" where Amsoil states that it is "recomended for use" where those oils are specified. Not trying to get into a Pi$$ing contest with you, only pointing out that Amsoil is not tested. Personaly I have used Saber and had no problems with it, but their hype turns me off. I am a huge fan of Mobil One Racing 2T oil.

The Amsoil is tested just as the M1 2T is. A company would be foolish to not test for the specs they recommend the oil for.

I routienly run Klotz R-50 in my personal saws, and have never had a problem. I mix it between 40:1 and 50:1.

Well, there are JASO tests and ISO tests, which are similar, and the old API standard that is not supported any more but is still used as a standard test. There is also the TCW-3 tests for low ash marine and water cooled engine oils. I have figured out how to read the labels on these things, and I also prefer to buy and use a tested oil as I know what it is I am paying for and running in my saws.

I have read that there are actually two differences in JASO FD vs. FC ratings. FD is tested longer (3 hours instead of 1) for both better detergent qualities and for less piston varnishing. The lubrication, exhaust blocking, initial torque and smoke properties are the same. I have found that using oil that smokes more leads to a lot more deposits in the lower engine compartment and clogged up muffler screens, exhausts and the like. More smoke, more crap. So I quit using JASO FB oil becasue it seems to smoke a lot more, though the lube quality is the same as FC and FD oil. Before that I realized that TCW-3 oil was crappy in saws, as was the generic non-rated 'all-purpose' marine and air-cooled oil.

FC seems to be a leap better than FB for smoke and clogged muffler parts and somewhat better at detergency. FD is better than FC, but only slightly. From what Lakeside (Andy) has posted here after seeing a lot of torn down 2-stroke engines, synthetics are the only way to go. He said in several posts on AS that dyno oil, and even dyno-synthetic blends leave a lot of crap and varnish in the lower engine area, whereas full synthetics do not. That is evidence of better detergent qualities.

Last edited:
I sell the Amsoil 2 stroke synthetic. My amsoil rep runs it and the Amsoil bar oil in all his saws.

I am not trying to sell anyone oil on here thru a business. I was just saying this is what my Amsoil rep uses and suggests and he says Amsoil backs it up. I myself use what oil the brand of saw is or a compatable substitute. I would not try to sell anyone anything on here thru a business only personal and I would only do it as a per the site rules. I'm sorry if it came off the wrong way.

A PNW saw builder tested out many of the top synthetics on the market, and Klotz R50 was a standout.

Any one of these will work as good or better than Amsoil or Ultra.

Klotz R50.
Silkolene Pro 2 SX.
Motul 800.

Amsoil Saber, Echo Power Blend, and Mobil Racing 2T are all ISO-L-EGD, JASO FD, API TC oils.

There are a couple good reasons not to run Amsoil at 100:1 , making a slight mixing mistake or a slightly lean running saw will take out a jug. Mixining Amsoil like the others, or at 40 - 50:1 would make Amsoil the most expensive to run in my hood.

There seems to be just a little less smoke from a cold saw or a rich/start with Mobil, I never had a problem or did i have a concern running Echo Power Blend oil. Echo and Mobil are close to the same price.

If Stihl dose not offer or stock Ultra oil in quarts or stihl are to pricey on there synthetic oil when I burn my last drop of Mobil, I will burn Echo again.

If Stihl dose not offer or stock Ultra oil in quarts or stihl are to pricey on there synthetic oil when I burn my last drop of Mobil, I will burn Echo again.

The Stihl catalog shows Ultra available in up to a 5 gallon pail.

Hmmmm...is he all out of his braman bull semen, too??
:dizzy:
Dang....

Last edited:
Back