Anyone have any reveiws on the new Carlton 5014?? vs vermeer 362??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Any reveiws on carlton 5014 would be great. i know the 4012 has been out for awhile , any input on this machine would be helpful as well. Either going to buy the vermeer 362 or carlton 5014 , both have 35 hp briggs on them. The problem is i cant even look at the carlton or demo it since there are no dealers in florida.

I talked to the Carlton factory about the new 5014. It is pretty much the exact same machine as the 4012, EXCEPT, it has a 50" swing and a 14" cutting depth. Thus, the 5014 model number.
The 4012 is perhaps the finest machine of it's size available today. I am sure the 5014 is just as well built and as durable/dependable.
Dealer? Who needs a stinkin dealer!! I live about 1000 miles from the nearest dealer and have never needed one for anything on my 3 Carlton machines. The factory has every part you might ever need, ships quickly, and the phone support from customer service is fantastic.
Jeff

Jaysthil, I like my SP4012 but what good is it if you don't have any dealers in your state.
What good is it? well that was a thought of mine exactly, but for parts it doesnt mean much since alot of dealers in florida of other brands dont stock every thing you need and has to be shipped from a pretty good distance anyways. as far as service they are liable for any major component (for the 1st year)even if they have to pay a third party to fix it in my area. i would doubt carlton would be in business for this long if they didnt hold their end of the bargain

I talked to the Carlton factory about the new 5014. It is pretty much the exact same machine as the 4012, EXCEPT, it has a 50" swing and a 14" cutting depth. Thus, the 5014 model number.
The 4012 is perhaps the finest machine of it's size available today. I am sure the 5014 is just as well built and as durable/dependable.
Dealer? Who needs a stinkin dealer!! I live about 1000 miles from the nearest dealer and have never needed one for anything on my 3 Carlton machines. The factory has every part you might ever need, ships quickly, and the phone support from customer service is fantastic.
Jeff
Thanks a bunch jeff! i cant seem to decide between the carlton or vermeer . have you ran both? Also, from pictures that ive seen of the carlton it looks like it would be very hard to see the cutting path from the back of the machine. how is this aspect of the machine? i currently own a vermeer 252 wich is similar but the carlton seems like the controls are further back

Two of my 3 Carlton machines have been remote control. The latest one was a lever control. most lever control machines I have run leave something to be desired in viewing the cutting head. The Carlton is a little hard to see around. However, after a learning period, I found I just grind by sound and feel of the machine. I do not need to really look directly at the cut I am making. I guess I am saying, "you will get used to it".
I have not run a Vermeer, but in shopping around, have looked at them, and read a lot about them. In my opinion, Vermeer builds an "OK" machine, but nothing special. Vermeer stump grinders seem to be an afterthought, as the company is really into other lines of equipment in a lot bigger way. The design and technology always seems to be a step or two behind Carlton and Bandit. There has been a lot of info posted here over the years about all the problems with Vermeer stump grinders. Having said that, I am sure many people like their Vermeers. However, given the choice, I would still go with a Carlton.
Jeff

Thanks jeff! i really like the carlton as well. going by specs it seems to be a more stout machine. I just wonder if the larger and thicker cutting wheel cuts down on performance as far as weight and horsepower. Also are the belts easy to tighten on these machines?

Like Mowingman said they are a stout machine,even with a gas engine if you can possibly afford it ,i would get it with wireless remote and a Sandvic cutting wheel.Bought mine used with a Kubota diesel,bush blade,and all wheel drive.The remote is really slick,i stand just shy of the wheel and you can see what your grinding,here in New England theirs rocks everywhere even inbeded in stumps,i can go around them so i can dig them out if need.The Sandvic wheel can really cut ,and teeth have a very good grade of carbite last quite a while.I think their best in class for their size.

Like Mowingman said they are a stout machine,even with a gas engine if you can possibly afford it ,i would get it with wireless remote and a Sandvic cutting wheel.Bought mine used with a Kubota diesel,bush blade,and all wheel drive.The remote is really slick,i stand just shy of the wheel and you can see what your grinding,here in New England theirs rocks everywhere even inbeded in stumps,i can go around them so i can dig them out if need.The Sandvic wheel can really cut ,and teeth have a very good grade of carbite last quite a while.I think their best in class for their size.
Thanks for the input Grinder 52. is the extra money really worth the sandvic wheel? i usually run greenteeth in a triangle pattern which means im only running 6 teeth on a sc252. alot faster change out time. will try the sandvic if it is a huge difference, just worried about the huge increase in price initially nd in the long run.

Thanks jeff! i really like the carlton as well. going by specs it seems to be a more stout machine. I just wonder if the larger and thicker cutting wheel cuts down on performance as far as weight and horsepower. Also are the belts easy to tighten on these machines?
My machines have had the Sandvic wheel. This setup cuts fast and does not throw chips all over the place. I have seen very little wear on the outside diameter of the cutting wheel, even though I work in a lot of sandy ground from time to time. Belt adjustment for the main drive belt, ( which is a wide, multigroove, powerband type belt), is super easy, takes about 2 or 3 minutes, tops, and requires only an open end wrench.

Hey mowing man, I was just reading on another Forum that people have problems getting the Carlton 4012 stuck a lot. Do you find this to be a problem? I got stuck quite a bit with my sc252 but it was nothing that a guy or two couldn't push out. I noticed the Carlton is about 300 pounds heavier and it looks like a lot of the weight is on top of the wheels which may sink the machine easier. Let me know your thoughts, thanks

Only had one of my machines stuck, one time. It was due to my overconfidence. I have had several close calls. I have only used the 2wd machines, have never owned a 4x4 machine.
Since you have the boom with the cutter wheel on the back, it becomes your easiest answer to getting "unstuck", in any "stuck" situation. The boom can pick you up and move you over to solid ground. The boom can pick you up so you can put boards or mats under the drive wheels. Getting stuck is , in my opinion, always the operator's fault. You will need to learn the limitations of the machine in bad ground conditions, then find ways to work around or through those problems. My belief is that 4x4 capability just takes you farther from help before you get stuck. I really don't feel like the Carltons are any more prone to getting stuck than any of the other similar size machines.

Thanks mowing man, you have been a huge help! going to find out monday what the cost for remote control upgrade is and also how much the sandvik system is at new river. ive heard new river is a better system sandvik than the ones carlton puts on their machines. Can anyone elaborate on new river vs carlton sandvik? heard they were very similar, almost identical, but one last longer

Thanks mowing man, you have been a huge help! going to find out monday what the cost for remote control upgrade is and also how much the sandvik system is at new river. ive heard new river is a better system sandvik than the ones carlton puts on their machines. Can anyone elaborate on new river vs carlton sandvik? heard they were very similar, almost identical, but one last longer

I grind in coastal SW Fl and have run both Sandvik and Revolution wheel. in our sandy soil conditions wear becomes an issue real fast. The Sanvik lasted about 500 hrs before the wear started compromising the lead teeth pockets, the Revolution has over 1500 hours and still going. It has to do with the tooth lay out I believe. As far as parts are concerned I have never had an issue with ordering from carlton, Top notch customer service in my dealings (even when I ordered the wrong part). I run a 7015 so getting temporally delayed in forward progress (STUCK) has been an issue during rainy season however as was mentioned the cutter wheel boom becomes your friend real fast. I also run a bandit 2100SP for when the carlton is just too big. But boy oh boy do I miss the remote when using the bandit.
Mike

It has been several years since I checked, but adding remote control was a costly process. In fact, it was costly to the point of not being economically viable as an option, so I just went ahead and bought a new one with remote, instead.

Forgot to mention the wheel wear. I put about 450 hours on each wheel, before the wear got critical. I then had a welding shop build up the outside diameter edge of the wheel with hard surface rod. When done, it looked like new and was ready for another 400 hours or so.
I did not have to take the wheel off the machine, I just removed the outer lead teeth and pocket hardware. I believe the welding job was about 250.00. LOts cheaper than replacing the whole wheel for wear issues.

Two of my 3 Carlton machines have been remote control. The latest one was a lever control. most lever control machines I have run leave something to be desired in viewing the cutting head. The Carlton is a little hard to see around. However, after a learning period, I found I just grind by sound and feel of the machine. I do not need to really look directly at the cut I am making. I guess I am saying, "you will get used to it".
I have not run a Vermeer, but in shopping around, have looked at them, and read a lot about them. In my opinion, Vermeer builds an "OK" machine, but nothing special. Vermeer stump grinders seem to be an afterthought, as the company is really into other lines of equipment in a lot bigger way. The design and technology always seems to be a step or two behind Carlton and Bandit. There has been a lot of info posted here over the years about all the problems with Vermeer stump grinders. Having said that, I am sure many people like their Vermeers. However, given the choice, I would still go with a Carlton.
Jeff

My last grinder had 700 green teeth,used to sharpen them myself,always had plenty of sharp teeth on hand. Sandvic wheel is a big improvement,keeps chips in the hole no need to tarp around stumps,cuts better,like Mowingman said 450/500 hrs you can built up[hard faced]the wheel,just like new.Don't know about the Revolution.Not knocking you present machine but the Carlton with the remote and Sandvic will make your 252 seem like a Model A Ford.

My last grinder had 700 green teeth,used to sharpen them myself,always had plenty of sharp teeth on hand. Sandvic wheel is a big improvement,keeps chips in the hole no need to tarp around stumps,cuts better,like Mowingman said 450/500 hrs you can built up[hard faced]the wheel,just like new.Don't know about the Revolution.Not knocking you present machine but the Carlton with the remote and Sandvic will make your 252 seem like a Model A Ford.
Dont mind the knock at all, lol, thats why im moving on up!! Don't think I'll be able to afford the remote access but hoping that the regular controls will be plenty enough for me. Especially if I'm going to go with the sandvik cutting system

Latest posts

Back