anyone have any use for a BIG pine tree (Norfolk MA)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
a friend of a friend came today and took down a HUGE pine tree - which is awesome because most tree guys wouldn't touch this thing

anyway i now have a ton of pine on the ground and i have no use for it -

is there anyone in MA that can use this? OWB or something and if not what's the best way to get rid of it

Thanks
steve

too bad it wasn't black walnut. i understand that insurance companies won't even insure black walnut cabinets any more because it's becoming so scarce.

If you heat with wood, just burn it in your stove. I wouldn't use any of the pitchy stuff other than to start fires with though. Ignore all the panicky old wives tales about not burning pine/fire/spruce - that stuff has been used for heating for centuries.

Harry K

sorry for the bad pics as my camera is at the office

woodpile004-1.jpg

woodpile003-1.jpg

woodpile005-1.jpg

woodpile006-1.jpg

How old?

Hmmm...the photo with the tape measure vanished.

That looks like a white pine (pinus strobus).

Can you count the growth rings and age that tree for us?

Unless it has a sawlog worthy of lumber, I'd also burn it as firewood.

i understand that insurance companies won't even insure black walnut cabinets any more because it's becoming so scarce.

Whoever told you that, don't believe anything else they tell you either. Walnut is only a mid-grade material in the states, at least. More readily available and cheaper than good cherry, that's for sure.

Whoever told you that, don't believe anything else they tell you either. Walnut is only a mid-grade material in the states, at least. More readily available and cheaper than good cherry, that's for sure.

Yep. I have 7 that I planted almost 30 years ago. Someone in the future will make some money off them. I also know of several groves that were planted with the future in mind. I was even offered firewood cutting priviledges in a grove of very mature BW. Why he didn't sell for lumber is a puzzle (the haul would have kept me broke buying gas. Long way and at least 20 miles steep up grade).

Harry K

Back