Anyone know anything about this maul/axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firewood in Finland

Hello Ian
The most popular firewood in FINLAND is BIRCH. That is because of its structure/construction. It is the most solid wood material and the heviest, as well .
Based to ist volume it has most energy comparing to the other trees. So it takes only little space, but gives a lot of heat. If we are looking at the weight of the different trees then we find out that the amount of energy is allmost the same in every type of a tree. The only difference is the space what they take. ASPEN and ALDER are widely used, as well. We use a lot of PINE/REDWOOD and SIX/SPRUCE, but with these trees there is one problem if you are using an open fireplace. The problem is that these trees have resin/gum in it and it causes every now and then small explosions, when the resin comes out from the wood. There can be rather heavy pressure inside of the split. So sometimes the sparks fly far away from the fire.
This is not a problem with a fireplace equiped with "doors".
There are some other different kind of trees which do not have very much significancy. You get them when you clean your forrests from "rubbish"trees.
There is not any kind of tree in FINLAND which I could not split with my VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE.
Regards Heikki
www.vipukirves.fi

Last edited:
Heikki, I see a lot of people asking about the strain on the wrists, both here and over on the ********** site. I went to your site and watched the videos, but I didn't see what I was hoping to see - a slow motion video of the head hitting the wood, AND a slow motion video of the wrists at the moment of impact.

I think having those slow motion videos on your site would answer a lot of questions for people here in the U.S.

twist

Exactly the way that i was taught. The twist works quite well.
That is what I thought when I saw the splitter. The twist is designed in. Could work quite well.

twist

Thank you for your interest towards the technique of VIPUKIRVES/LEVERAXE.
The twist happens fully automatically. It happens so fast that you cannot see it. One way to see it is to stop the video on the right moment and that way you can see it like slow motion, picture by picture. I am working with the next video with slow motion part. I expect it to be on my homepages in a couple of weeks.
Regards Finland

Back