Anyone know what type of Maple this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really hard to tell by those chunks, but looks like it could be the good stuff. Bark may be a little light to be sugar maple, but trees differ from region to region... Proof will be in the drying... If you chunk it up and it dries out but maintains it's weight, I'd think Sugar or "Hard" maple... If it loses all it's weight when drying, it's soft"Silver or red"... But still burnable...
The reason I'm non-comital on this is, there's over 80 varieties of maple... So to me, it's "hard" or "soft"... Draw the lines where you want...
:msp_biggrin:

Almost looks like a Norway maple, about middle on the hard scale. Not "bad" wood by any means. You have any leaves?

I don't which maple it is but from my own experience I'd say that it's good wood. The maple that's white looking rots on me really quick.

246993d1343838849-img-20120729-00005-jpg
Sugar maple is as close as can figure.
http://www.arboristsite.com/attachm...ment/246993d1343838849-img-20120729-00005-jpg

No leaves. Only got to see the chunks I took, rest of the tree was gone. I will say that it is super heavy wood. Thanks for your replies.

It sure looks like hard, sugar maple to me.
It just makes my shoulders ache thinking about all the big blocks like that, that I have split over the years with my monster maul which now sees no action at all.

Almost looks like a Norway maple, about middle on the hard scale. Not "bad" wood by any means. You have any leaves?

Maple is one of my favorite general purpose woods... I couldn't ID a Norway Maple if ya hit me in the face with it...
Seems like they're so popular for yard trees everyone plants "unique" varieties... Makes ID tough...

Maybe a Sugar Maple ? Was going to say Rock Maple but the bark doesn't look aggressive enough to be Rock Maple.

Sugar Maple all the way, or its very close cousin Black Maple only identifiable by the leaf lobe and are common to cross breed here.Many call it rock maple.

See how the wood is turning orange, I'll bet it was white wood when first cut but then turns orange to pale yellow to light brown to grey.

One of the best burning woods in North America,tons of coals in the morning, enjoy.

Firstly you'll have to break up that snarly crotch to make stove size pieces. This will give your body and equipment the ultimate workout, hopefully the wood won't win.

Sugar Maple all the way, or its very close cousin Black Maple only identifiable by the leaf lobe and are common to cross breed here.Many call it rock maple.

See how the wood is turning orange, I'll bet it was white wood when first cut but then turns orange to pale yellow to light brown to grey.

One of the best burning woods in North America,tons of coals in the morning, enjoy.

Firstly you'll have to break up that snarly crotch to make stove size pieces. This will give your body and equipment the ultimate workout, hopefully the wood won't win.

Just noodle some nice squared off blocks and be done with it. Save the frustration.

Just noodle some nice squared off blocks and be done with it. Save the frustration.

I just ran some similar looking red oak through the splitter yesterday. I salvaged 75% of it for the wood stove.
The other, unmanageable, 25% will go in the fire ring. We'll grill a nice steak over it in the spring.

The good thing is, it will Burn whatever type it is.
Even better,looks like a HARD MAPLE all day long.

Sugar or black maple.

Fresh cut like that it's pretty easy to id.
King of the coal woods.

Not the 1st best of all the firewoods in NA but bronze medal for sure :)

Hedge summed it up pretty well, w/ all of the hybrids, cultivars, etc. It's pretty hard to nail it down.
That said, I had some that looked similar to your pics last year. Mine was HATEFUL to split, but burned well. It was from a big butt log of a city tree... Don't ask why I drove down there for Maple, it's a long story...

142 variates of maple. only 2 hard. Red maple is the is the most common tree in nh. Bark looks like red, wood looks like red, Its with out a doubt red.

Latest posts

Back