anyone not been hurt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've strained my back 2 times and wacked my wrist w/ the hand saw one good time. Never missed any work though from injuries. Haven't been doing it for 30 years like others. 4yrs part time and the last 4 yrs full time. I have had too many close calls that never resulted in anything serious.:bowdown:

-Mike-

Nothing more here than a little love bite from my 385xp that resulted in about 20 large stitches. Fortunately that one was on the ground.

Other than no injuries, knock on wood.

1I'dJak said:
i'm hurtin right now thats for sure! big scabby sores on my shins from the spurs... finally bought some stretchy soccer shin pads... bloody well hurts though...should've done that the first day!

How are those soccer shin pads holding up?

Ive been cut at 90 feet pretty bad to the point of almost passing out.
Started rappelling down and another climber in the tree noticed my rope was to short for me to make it to the ground, my bud tied on another rope and lowered me.

Today I was rushing thru a low bid trim job. Bought some new speedline caracbiners and was using them as a redirect. The gate cut me good! One finger over from my pinkey. I use that finger to push the line onto the carabiners. Then a stink bug got in my eye. Yeah! that sucked. I just kept climbing.
I get home load out my gear to put up and wham! Barely knicked a knuckle well it bleeded all over my shirt, i looked like a horro movie character walking in the house. Ive not been knicked twice in a day in a long while ... guess I was due. This is the very nature of our business dont be coy or elegant about it. Rule out all you can that can go wrong , the rest is pure luck.
Knock on wood.

I'll save Tom Dunlap the post, many of these injuries could have been prevented by wearing gloves.

Rebelflame, you wear them sissy gloves all the time just like your hard hat you sleep with uh huh. You wear glasses to bed fraid some boobie gonna poke your eye out Id imagine so nerd.

Oh and by the way rebelnerd, I have 3 pair of brand new... worn out.... high dollar... baseball gloves, I use mostly on pine... in the truck.

I hate guys like rebelnerd, I hate large compaines that call me when I'm in bed, asking me do to what their 20 year old company cant.

Last edited:
Been hurt, but never injured.
Took a ride down a white pine when I was still fresh in this business, no one ever told me they got brittle when it was 10 below, tied into the top, leaned back to set the knot, and took the top with me to the ground...landed in about 3 foot of snow..no damage, except to the tree.

Took a spike through the heel, right through both sides of some brand new boots back in 86, was real upset about the boots. Then realized that my foot was what the spike was caught on. I finished the tree, iced it down, and was back to work the next day...(still cussin about the boots)

Had a real smart-ss boss as a groundman one time, kept insisting I take pieces bigger on an elm removal. Took a piece too long, and the ground men weren't able to control it, pinned my arm against the tree, had to lower the piece over my arm....(nice rope burn...not serious) That was the last time I ever worked for another tree service. As the boss was picking himself up from the ground, (he had a little run in with an angry climber when I got down) I was walking away.

After 27+ years I have never lost a day to an injury doing tree work...I still NEVER work alone. IT is the stupidest move you can make. Your friend is right. No matter how good you are, there is always the unexpected, unseen, and the accident you did not expect. I have never been hurt in a "hard" tree. Always the easy money ones.

I got 20 years to go before I am thru. Oldugly, you got off lucky with the few injuries you got. Thanks for your candor oldugly. My friend can barely feed himself and weighs 75 pounds. I say friend we worked aloft fside by side for over 3 years, @ 42 with 20 + yrs exp he was good on removals but rarely tied in. I send him pics of trees I do.:buttkick:

Any tree man that survives awhile in this business has to have luck as an ally. No matter how good you are, there is still an area left to chance.

frashdog said:
Doing tree work that is? My buddy is trying to tell me that every tree guy/gal has or will get hurt. I disagreed with him that there has to be some really careful folks out there. Anyone not get hurt, or hurt a lot?

Argument stemed from me climbing for prune jobs solo. Nothing technical. I do not think twice about other solo high risk events such as rock/ice, motorcycle, skiing, white water kayaking. Actually I think I'm more careful solo knowing that I have no one else to help me out , or to show off for, so stay sharp and think!

Personally I think driving in you're vehicle is the most dangerous thing we do due to the frequency rates and forces involved, let alone yellow paint is not a good barrier to prevent a car coming in the other direction from swerving a few feet in your direction.
i may suggested you becareful what you say, becuz your cocky attuide , you will next to get hurt or be killed, Common thing with cocky climber with pride and/or ego , you may think... naww it won't happen to me.. but it can happen anydays. one thing from experence is learned from mistake, then after that become more aware every aspect what i do and skills, i once felled 40 feet from tree and hit a ground so hard every bone my body cracked but i walked way with no broken bone but sored. i been cautious climber every since. i had several scrachtes skin from chipping, there times the hanger came down right upon me without warning, that why hard hard saved my head , i had some rope rigged just lifted me up the air so fast that rope is burning through my glove and get rope burn on my hand 1st and 2nd degreed burn.
many thing can goes wrong, no matter how careful you are how safe you are to be. this line of work dangerous and always will be. i been doing tree work for long time, but to me i think you just newbie of alittle treeman with ego. guy alike you i have zero tolerates. humble yourself alittle groundie ...lol
Treeman67

A partner of mine used to say "safety belts are for fags." I still don't know if he was joking or what. He doesn't climb any more, he fell forty feet after cutting his rope and put a four inch crack in his pelvis.

i may suggested you becareful what you say, becuz your cocky attuide, you will next to get hurt or be killed, Common thing with cocky climber with pride and/or ego, you may think... naww it won't happen to me..
Thanks for the concern, I think there's a bit a misunderstanding here. I never said it would not happen to me. I have already been hurt plenty, last one was 20 stiches to the lower lip after a log rolled at me and a limb caught me. I have a many lessons in life resulting in hospital visits. I do not see myself as a "cocky climber", yes I am new, but I feel I do not exceed my abilities alone, notice I said nothing too technical solo.

My point of the whole post was to see if there was infact people that had not been hurt doing tree work. Not to proclaim my imortal climbing prowess.

many thing can goes wrong, no matter how careful you are how safe you are to be. this line of work dangerous and always will be.
duuurr, keep it up maybe you'll tell me something I do not know.

i been doing tree work for long time, but to me i think you just newbie of alittle treeman with ego. guy alike you i have zero tolerates. humble yourself alittle groundie ...lol
Treeman67
do you really talk like that? Was it the 40 foot fall, or the hangers? Peace bro, I'm about a humble a dude as they come.

rebelman said:
A partner of mine used to say "safety belts are for fags." I still don't know if he was joking or what. He doesn't climb any more, he fell forty feet after cutting his rope and put a four inch crack in his pelvis.

Its best to cut where your certian that the rope isn't there.
He must ahve been jokeing, or safety was #2 on his job list.
What was he trimming when he fell?:blob5:

He was topping an eighty foot red oak for removal. The tree had lot's of suckers and I guess he got his climbing rope around one on the branch he was cutting. It's weird, his new ground man asked him starting up if he used two tie ins, "nah." I wasn't there, we were competitors here and partners in Memphis. He was an all star coast guard guy, helicopter jumper, sick of safety regulations. I finished the tree while he was getting the log roll in the Little Rock VA. They bolted him back together, he still rides a harley and get's in bar fights, does hot chicks. He missed a stump by three feet.

maxburton said:
I've been doing tree work for only 5 years, and the worst I ever had was a Walnut tree split open while my lanyard was around it. I got squeezed pretty good and went to the hospital to make sure nothing got broken or messed up. I was fine, though. Other than that, bruises and cuts. And, of course, the occasional flow from a hand saw nick.

I never work alone, I want someone to always be there to make the call if neccessary.
try the prussik fiction saver, sounds intense

rebelman said:
nice one

xtremetrees said:
Rebelflame, you wear them sissy gloves all the time just like your hard hat you sleep with uh huh. You wear glasses to bed fraid some boobie gonna poke your eye out Id imagine so nerd.

Oh and by the way rebelnerd, I have 3 pair of brand new... worn out.... high dollar... baseball gloves, I use mostly on pine... in the truck.

I hate guys like rebelnerd, I hate large compaines that call me when I'm in bed, asking me do to what their 20 year old company cant.
and I disdain fools like yourself who bring down the industry as a whole

Last edited:
xtremetrees said:

All bow down to Extreme, I and all the rest are unworthy, mere imitations of real climbers. Extreme, you are the man, I grovel at your feet. And Jmack the word is spelled "disdain".

TY TY dont be a puss your way over due to get hurt bad get ready for it.
Jmack,
12 yrs aloft and I been hurt bad yet... Yeah, I'm way over due. If you think youll get a lifetime of climbing without injury your the fool. Why dont you try climbing with a few more safety gadgits. Maybe youll feel comfy then.

Only thing brings me down is your total blindness to just how many folks do get hurt doing what we do.Your delusional you will get hurt bad or killed IN THE ARBORIST PROFESSION.

You probably throwball your takedowns??!??! HAHA sounds like you work for the man.

No clearance Im not all that I'm not even an above average climber.
I do however try to live up my name

Last edited:
xtreme, ever hear of Alcoholics Anonymous?

4th step is a ????? (female dog, edited) , but worth it.

Take a deep breath and find another outlet, willya?

Latest posts

Back