anyone not been hurt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have lost a few teeth to trees. But I wouldnt consider it an injury like old man said never lost a day of work because of um

Noob treeseer,
I guess youve come along here to the AS in what the last 4 years?
I have taken a few uncalled for shots at you just because you are BCMA.
I was being unfair I may add. (estimates thread)I still pratice some of what Dr. Bill taught. So I plead the 5th.
But AA as an institution is a JOKE it is a institution of peer review filed with hypocracy youd be better off converting to catholocism, your corundium it seems you've no myth to follow.
It is not easy explaining our profession (Check out my videos) leastly via a medium such as a computer.

Treeseer, I was a guru of AA for 12 years friend.....
Cheers!

Last edited:
clearance said:
And Jmack the word is spelled "disdain".
Really, you don't want to start calling people on spelling. Actually, I don't think anyone should start, it's a lost cause. No offense to anyone, spelling isn't everything. Neither is punctuation, syntax, vocabulary...umm, modifiers, articles, conjunctions, metaphors, abstraction...they're just something.
This isn't english class, though. This is a forum for quite a wild variety of people doing a wild variety of things for and to trees.
But about the thread topic, I think everyone knows you work with sharp implements and cut things or move big heavy wood things around with big heavy metal things, you might at least get a boo-boo sometime.

I hate to say it, but thats funny

rebelman said:
A partner of mine used to say "safety belts are for fags." I still don't know if he was joking or what. He doesn't climb any more, he fell forty feet after cutting his rope and put a four inch crack in his pelvis.

karma.

I think we should all bow down to the spikeless removal wizard from Moscow, USSR. That dude rocks.:rock:

Last edited:
trees4est said:
Really, you don't want to start calling people on spelling. Actually, I don't think anyone should start, it's a lost cause.
No offense to anyone, spelling isn't everything. Neither is punctuation, syntax, vocabulary...umm, modifiers, articles, conjunctions, metaphors, abstraction...they're just something.
This isn't english class, though. This is a forum for quite a wild variety of people doing a wild variety of things for and to trees.
But about the thread topic, I think everyone knows you work with sharp implements and cut things or move big heavy wood things around with big heavy metal things, you might at least get a boo-boo sometime.

Im an English teacher and I agree with you, more or less. Sometimes gettin the point across is, well, the point. Ever see that thing on the Net where every word is jumbled except the first and last letter?
A vrey itnresitneg atirlce

Oh yeah? What does being "humble" mean to you?
mostly being aware of when I f:censored:k up or when I do some thing amazing just smile and know. Most people do not take well to "horn tooters". Like "Oh I done this that and the other thing", "Been there done that." Course there's a grey area between "horn tootin" and giving some credibility to back up a story.

Can include when to ask a question, apologize, praise, subbort. For me the right choices usually come from the "a voice" in my head, not being the ego. If I listened to my ego I'd probably be in jail or dead.

you said it "karma"

frashdog said:
mostly being aware of when I f:censored:k up or when I do some thing amazing just smile and know. Most people do not take well to "horn tooters". Like "Oh I done this that and the other thing", "Been there done that." Course there's a grey area between "horn tootin" and giving some credibility to back up a story.

Can include when to ask a question, apologize, praise, subbort. For me the right choices usually come from the "a voice" in my head, not being the ego. If I listened to my ego I'd probably be in jail or dead.

you said it "karma"

So then in the tree industry, who would be comsidered a celebraty trimmer?
Motivation is a major factor in climbing those big trees;especially taking then down. you need to be able to not only emphacise that your the best, but to show them you are the best.
Go get 'em!!!!

clearance said:
All bow down to Extreme, I and all the rest are unworthy, mere imitations of real climbers. Extreme, you are the man, I grovel at your feet. And Jmack the word is spelled "disdain".
ayuh thanks clear

xtremetrees said:
TY TY dont be a puss your way over due to get hurt bad get ready for it.
Jmack,
12 yrs aloft and I been hurt bad yet... Yeah, I'm way over due. If you think youll get a lifetime of climbing without injury your the fool. Why dont you try climbing with a few more safety gadgits. Maybe youll feel comfy then.

Only thing brings me down is your total blindness to just how many folks do get hurt doing what we do.Your delusional you will get hurt bad or killed IN THE ARBORIST PROFESSION.

You probably throwball your takedowns??!??! HAHA sounds like you work for the man.

No clearance Im not all that I'm not even an above average climber.
I do however try to live up my name
son you better go pack your lunch

xtremetrees said:
Why am I the only C.A. out of 5 in my town not spikeing trims then Jmack?

I think we should all bow down to the spikeless removal wizard from Moscow, USSR. That dude rocks.:rock:
omfg what r u talking about

So then in the tree industry, who would be comsidered a celebraty trimmer?
good question, I'm curious, any nominations?
Motivation is a major factor in climbing those big trees;especially taking then down. you need to be able to not only emphacise that your the best, but to show them you are the best.
Go get 'em!!!!
I hear ya. Walk the talk.

TreeCo said:
I count all ISA TCC competitors as noteworthy and serious climbers.

Dan

I second Dan's nomination. If you have not seen an ITCC competition, you have not seen the best.

"Motivation is a major factor in climbing those big trees;especially taking then down. you need to be able to not only emphacise that your the best, but to show them you are the best."

Grizzly, removals are a mechanical operation. Yes they take skill, but all they result in is wood and chips. Leaving a tree better than you found it, able to stand for the long haul, that takes a different level of thought along with mechanical skill.

Arboriculture is an Art and a Science.

And the only grammar that's really important is that nice lady who birthed your parent and makes you cookies. :heart:

I`m calculating and cautious. My ego is humble. Not counting the bumps and scrapes that come every day I have never been hurt. I always tie in twice and think about every cut. I want to be around for a while because I truly enjoy this work. A few years ago I was attacked by a clients dog and I was out of work for a week and a half. Thats the only real injury I`ve suffered yet.

Kinda like the tortois and the hare , the tortois always comes thru day after day.
Brains beats balls in this business .

Glenn

Last edited:
I think for me becomming more experienced at it can be diasaterous.
I have a tendancy to just let the notch fuse blow as spidy puts it.
Of all the things can go wrong, must remeber to maintain one more I know alot is already being asked of me but I just maintain an escape route.
"There are old climbers and bold climber" but not old bold climbers is because of my tndacy to go bold either with a small tie in or ig rope it out, because boredom. Over time we all go big, I must remeber like old ugly said the easiest tree ,move, what not gets me.. I must keep trees difficult and strenous. To me that means small pieces longer days but i must have this self discipline.

Yes quite a few times over the years. Never too badly. The worse time was probably when I neglected to tie a knot in the end of my rope. I under estimated the height of a Lime tree and was foolishly flying down my rope at the end of a job and basicaly catipulted of the end onto a scalfold pole which went into my leg without even peircing my chainsaw trousers/pants. Five stitches inside eleven outside ouch!

Still have a perfectly round scar today!:monkey:

celebrities

I watched one climbing competition...those guys are fun to watch, exciting and efficient...but I was thinking what would justify celebrity status.

Another definition given was pathetically politically correct and lifeless...something about ansi, and isa. (Good organizations, but c'mon we are talking about celebrity status...the true great ones.)

My definition would be the ones the customer (our true judges) remember long after they are gone. The comments that stick in my mind from my customers around here:
"Dallas was amazing to watch, he got everything out of here without hurting a thing."
"Paul did all my tree work, he took care of me, was a nice guy, and always was there when I needed him."
" I worried about that tree for years, and finally called Wayne. He took it out in a matter of a couple of hours...I thought it would take days."

Another definition would be the ones that use their abilities to further the industry, and make our world a little safer. For example the climber that wrote the TCC, or the founder of Davey's (who as far as I know started the first climbing school in the US. but I might be misinformed on my history). The founder of this site, although I do not know his climbing ability...he used what he did know to further communication between tree men. Another climber I knew 30 years ago had a saddle custom made for himself. It was years later that I saw the first butterfly style saddle in production...I personally think they stole his design...but again I could be misinformed.

Who are the true GREAT ones? Probably unheralded by the world, but well remembered as teachers, examples, and innovators. I may not agree with him all the time but I think Tom would rate up there. Another one that would ruffle a few feathers around here would be Clearance, and in the same breath some of his biggest and most vocal critics. To define the great ones is to separate the egos from the abilities, and to differentiate between those who speel standard catch phrases which are heralded as popular, or wise, from those who think for themselves, create new and better ways of doing our business, and use their abilities to better our lives, or their customers.

The GREAT ones I know I could count on one hand, and have several fingers left over...Good climbers, there are alot of them, The GREAT ones few and far between.
Just the opinion of an old man with a bad attitude.

Another definition given was pathetically politically correct and lifeless...something about ansi, and isa.

Do you climb spikeless and make standard cuts? If you do how can you say that it is pc bs and lifeless. It takes commitment and dedication. It's not a popular catch phrase, it's real world scratching for a living. Something has to seperate the tree men from the hacks. A minimum inerpretation of ANSI pruning standard does that. If you make the cut, you're plenty famous.

spikeless

I try to climb spikeless on any tree I trim, but if I cannot do it efficiently, the spikes go on. Now for a little reality beyond the pc bs. Show me one tree, just one, that has died due to spike marks...and I will buy into it full heartedly.

After 15 years in my own business, and 12 working for others I have come accross alot of previous trims. Note...I did NOT say a tree that has died due to poor trimming. There are many of them out there, and truly these propetuators of topping, and stubbing, and "dress" cutting are hacks. But now that you threw down the glove...show me one, just one that has died from spiking.

That is what I mean by political correctness vs. reality. You have been taught the EVILS of spikes, but without verification of its proof. I will NEVER say spiking a tree is good for it, do not misinterpret this, I do avoid it whenever I can still do the tree efficiently and give my customers a reasonable price....but yes I still use spikes on some trims. Show me the proof, then start calling me a hack youngster.

It is egos like yours that make the word ARBORIST a four letter word in a lot of good people's vocabulary.

As far as ANSI goes or the ISA...I think they are great organizations trying to better the quality of our profession, and although I belong to neither, I give them the ultimate respect. I also respect the new methods of climbing, and by all means I would never discourage others from learning them. There are many great innovations that have bettered our life, and the health of the trees, so I am not against change, nor am I above learning something new...I do everyday.

Its brainwashed repettition of utlitarian superlatives, and ultimatums that raise my dander some. Its then I step back and ask why? Show me the proof.

Rebelman...I fear you do not live up to your name, rather you are part of the brainwahed masses, unable to rebel, because you are unable to open your mind to the possibility that not all you were taught in school...is true.

Back