Anyone selling wood chips or noodle chips from cutting ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneLogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
If so, What are all of you putting them in ? I am thinking of getting some plastic 55 gallon barrel drums and filling them up with chips.

If so, What are all of you putting them in ? I am thinking of getting some plastic 55 gallon barrel drums and filling them up with chips.

I read that some people sell it for animal (f.e. horses) barns. I donot believe there is alot of money to be had. Why not put it in simple large plastic garbage bags? I store it in big cardboard boxes until dry and then just put it into plastic garbage bags. I only collect the "noodles", the chips go onto the compost pile and get worked in a little to speed up the process.

Good luck selling them.

I would be happy if I could give them away to someone. We have an unbelievable amount of them. Right now we are just hauling them out to the woods and piling them up.

Tom

Splitter turds and noodles get forked into whatever financialy expedient corrugated transportation device can be located. Most customers that buy a cord of seasoned wood then get a bonus box of kindling. Gets rid of "scraps", gets me remembered, and gets more wood sold the following year.

Splitter turds and noodles get forked into whatever financialy expedient corrugated transportation device can be located. Most customers that buy a cord of seasoned wood then get a bonus box of kindling. Gets rid of "scraps", gets me remembered, and gets more wood sold the following year.

That sounds good! I usually rake up all the scraps and burn them but I got some people who want to buy just the chips for bedding in there chicken coops, etc.

Softwood chips are valuable to horse owners, unfortunately hardwood chips cause respiratory problems if used for horses - not sure about other livestock.

Noodles make a great mulch for the garden. That is where all mine go. Then they get tilled in come fall.

I read about a fellow who presses them into small bricks for heating. He mixes them with saw dust for better stability.

i very rarely have to noodle and when i do it's done in the woods.

if there is a market for 'em in your area, i'd say the heavy contractor bags or card board boxes.

good for you if'n you can make a couple bucks from the stuff most would consider wood trash.

"wood trash" in the wood lot around here = cold beer and a fire :cheers: and good luck !!

i very rarely have to noodle and when i do it's done in the woods.

if there is a market for 'em in your area, i'd say the heavy contractor bags or card board boxes.

good for you if'n you can make a couple bucks from the stuff most would consider wood trash.

"wood trash" in the wood lot around here = cold beer and a fire :cheers: and good luck !!

After wondering for a while now i have to ask, WHAT IS NOODLING?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe small animal bedding is cedar only. What other market would there be? I would be interested if there is a want, we sure make enough of them.

I read that some people sell it for animal (f.e. horses) barns. I donot believe there is alot of money to be had. Why not put it in simple large plastic garbage bags? I store it in big cardboard boxes until dry and then just put it into plastic garbage bags. I only collect the "noodles", the chips go onto the compost pile and get worked in a little to speed up the process.

Good luck selling them.

True clean wood shavings initially cut from green wood (pine) go for a good sum per trailer load for some farmers. The farm I am on (primarily poultry production) uses a huge amount for bedding. We (well, my boss) have a shavings mill in a new barn just built for it but a lot of the good bits got stolen lately so that project got set back now. They stole some of the huge electric motors and the knife sharpener. Most likely went to some scrap yard for pennies on the replacement dollar. It's basically like a huge woodshop planer, and they go for some serious money so you need a use or a market.

Really annoying to me because I was counting on some extra chainsaw and logging work to supplement my meagre pay, we have enough trees right on the property to feed the mill.

Real small scale just leftover stuff from home cutting, spread it on the garden and till it under or around some bushes or something, or make a compost pile, mix it with leaves or whatnot. Or if you have any local neighbors with a small backyard flock, they could probably use it in their coop, sawchips or noodles.

I have been using the noodles to cover the muddy part of a water road that runs behind our house, works great!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe small animal bedding is cedar only. What other market would there be? I would be interested if there is a want, we sure make enough of them.

Sell it to someone with a veggie garden

For dogs and cats, etc, yes cedar, that is an X sized market. For poultry houses and horse stables, it is pine primarily, that is a 100X market.

Thanks everyone for the information! I think I might have to start bagging it up more!

Latest posts

Back