Anyone still use one of these in the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluenose

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone uses one of these old Army Trucks to haul their wood. This is a 1954 M37 Dodge powerwagon. I have always loved this old truck. A real old work horse.

ArmyTruck017.jpg

ArmyTruck016.jpg

ArmyTruck012.jpg

ArmyTruck021.jpg

Here is a short video from inside the cab, hauling a load out to the browe.

Last edited:
Does that have the army front and rear ends in it ? Does the brake disc spin in the front end ?

Good job though, Looks like you got some big brush piles there

VERY NICE!!!! Now that is some cool hardware! Any problems finding spare parts?

Sweet truck! I love those old ones they are simple and do the job! Would love to find something like that!!

I love that truck... in great shape too!

I bet that PTO winch comes in handy ;)

5.13 gears prob dont hurt either:rock:

Is it reliable ? It sure seems like it can holds it own

Shane

Yup, it's very reliable,......has never failed me yet. Dad bought it long before I was born, (I'm 40), and he always used it as a workhorse. I have used it in the woods since he passed away in 1991, and it's always ready for what ever I want to put it through. Dad said when I was a toddler he had to park it in the yard where I could see it out the window, or I would cry,:laugh:. So I guess it's more like a member of the family,or an old friend, more than a piece of equipment. I would'nt trade that old truck for a new 2012 3/4ton Dodge Cummins.

I love that truck... in great shape too!

I bet that PTO winch comes in handy ;)

5.13 gears prob dont hurt either:rock:

The winch that is on it is a 8000lb Warn electric, But I have the PTO, and Braiden winch in the barn,...I just haven't got around to putting it on the truck yet.
Yup 5.13 gears make it great around the woods.

man, that's nice!

They are expensive to find though. I lurk at steelsoldiers and lust after the army trucks I can't afford. I missed a newer army powerwagon last year (M880), had some of the loot but not all of it.

Wound up getting something close, a mid 80s chevy 4x4 with the detroit diesel. Been working on it off and on, took it out on the road for the first time the other day. I've driven it around the farm a little, when I fix something I go try it out. Still needs a lot of work though.

edit: here's mine. I will keep upgrading it, but I wanted to start out with the full size 4x4 and 6.2 detroit diesel package as a start.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Yup, it's very reliable,......has never failed me yet. Dad bought it long before I was born, (I'm 40), and he always used it as a workhorse. I have used it in the woods since he passed away in 1991, and it's always ready for what ever I want to put it through. Dad said when I was a toddler he had to park it in the yard where I could see it out the window, or I would cry,:laugh:. So I guess it's more like a member of the family,or an old friend, more than a piece of equipment. I would'nt trade that old truck for a new 2012 3/4ton Dodge Cummins.

That sounds just like my dad's and I's custom 1989 Toyota with a Chevy 350 small block crate motor with a 3 inch body lift and 35 inch tires :) Yeah it goes through the woods good and hauls our wood too :)

Nice truck. I like the short wheelbase of the M37 for the woods. I looked for one of those for a long time as well as the longer wheel base civilian version (WM300) but the prices have really gone up in the last few years. I recently purchased a 1986 M1008 (a basic single rear wheel Chevy K30 with the 6.2 GM diesel with a few military mods and 4.56 gears). It doesn't go very fast but the fuel mileage appears to be great; time will only tell as to durability. It sure is nice to have something your father used. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy him longer. Ron

View attachment 235173

attachment.php

Nice truck. I like the short wheelbase of the M37 for the woods. I looked for one of those for a long time as well as the longer wheel base civilian version (WM300) but the prices have really gone up in the last few years. I recently purchased a 1986 M1008 (a basic single rear wheel Chevy K30 with the 6.2 GM diesel with a few military mods and 4.56 gears). It doesn't go very fast but the fuel mileage appears to be great; time will only tell as to durability. It sure is nice to have something your father used. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy him longer. Ron

View attachment 235173

attachment.php

That's a real nice truck Ron. Looks heavy duty and in super shape too. Thanks for the kind words about my dad,....it's been 21 years and I still miss him alot.

If the government has given us anything its been some nice wood trucks and trailers. (long live the government?)

Latest posts

Back