Anyone still use one of these in the woods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those ol' M37s are dead nuts reliable. The only thing that hurts them is speed. They came orginally with 4.89 gears if yours has 5.13's they have be changed...wait a minute that was
US Army, don't know aboot Canadian..hey...

Those ol' M37s are dead nuts reliable. The only thing that hurts them is speed. They came orginally with 4.89 gears if yours has 5.13's they have be changed...wait a minute that was
US Army, don't know aboot Canadian..hey...

Well Widow maker, you got me to thinkin about the gear ratio,.....so, I dug around and found the repair manual for these m37s, and it says that the axle ratio is 5.83 to 1,.....so I guess this is telling me that it has 5.83 gears???:confused2: All I know for sure is it is geared realy low.

Last edited:
Well Widow maker, you got me to thinkin about the gear ratio,.....so, I dug around and found the repair manual for these m37s, and it says that the axle ratio is 5.83 to 1,.....so I guess this is telling me that it has 5.83 gears???:confused2: All I know for sure is it is geared realy low.

===

Hey Bluenose, I misspoke/typed I meant to say 5.89's. Yes they are geared low, I've seen both 5.83 and 5.89 ratio stated, thats why speed or should I say attempts for speed is the only thing that hurts. They could stand better brakes but with their gearing their okay.
Drove a 63 M37B1 around a lot of Germany and Viet Nam...

Partial to the old Dodges myself and have 3 of them. Yours is a very nice example.

One question for you. Does yours have a 251/265 ci engine opposed to the 230ci? I believe the ones made for Canada came stock with either the 251 or 265(can't remember which one) but maybe it was on the second run 62's. Just wondering about that.

Last edited:
Nice truck. I like the short wheelbase of the M37 for the woods. I looked for one of those for a long time as well as the longer wheel base civilian version (WM300) but the prices have really gone up in the last few years. I recently purchased a 1986 M1008 (a basic single rear wheel Chevy K30 with the 6.2 GM diesel with a few military mods and 4.56 gears). It doesn't go very fast but the fuel mileage appears to be great; time will only tell as to durability. It sure is nice to have something your father used. I'm sorry you didn't get to enjoy him longer. Ron

View attachment 235173

attachment.php

That thing looks un-stoppable in the woods! Looks pretty cool also. Got any pics of it with it loaded up with some wood and the equipment ?

Nice truck, I have owned 3 Power Wagons (a 72 W-300, a 70 W-200 and currently an 89 W-250) and all would haul a load. The 72 1 ton rode especially well with a load of firewood in the bed. I have used my 62 Studebaker 7E-13D in the past.

2890904670097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

Nice truck, I have owned 3 Power Wagons (a 72 W-300, a 70 W-200 and currently an 89 W-250) and all would haul a load. The 72 1 ton rode especially well with a load of firewood in the bed. I have used my 62 Studebaker 7E-13D in the past.

2890904670097493054S600x600Q85.jpg

Now that thing is cool! I would love to have one of those!

That thing looks un-stoppable in the woods! Looks pretty cool also. Got any pics of it with it loaded up with some wood and the equipment ?

Thanks. I've only had it for a month and haven't taken any pictures but it will carry a good load and seems to have a fairly decent turning radius. It has no problem loaded and pulling one of these loaded:

attachment.php

View attachment 235260

Unloaded at tornado wood site:

attachment.php

View attachment 235261

Replacing this set up in the woods - too wide. Last trip bent the right spindle on leading axle while carrying a full load of oak; I was trying not to bust a left tire on a stump and instead hit a tree on the right.

attachment.php

View attachment 235262

Ron

Dad is still using this one to get him and his saws to his cutting sites. Still uses an old farm tractor and wagon to bring the wood out though.

mudder1.JPG

He doesn't jump like he used to, so he has an old stool on a rope he pulls it in after he climbs in, then throws it out when he wants to climb out. This is an old Plymouth I believe, sold as a "Power Wagon", but with a hemi engine.

Replaced much of the rusted out rear floor pan with diamond plate somewhere along the line:

mudder2.JPG

Last edited:
This is an old Plymouth I believe, sold as a "Power Wagon", but with a hemi engine.

If it is a Plymouth then it is a "Trail Duster", the Dodges were known as a "Ram Charger". Notice how they incorporated the name of one of their car models into the name.

Cool trucks everyone. As you may have guessed I like the old dodges but I like all of the old trucks. Cool studebaker. I have shown my old 47 dodge on the site before but heck I dont mind showing it again. I just got done replacing the intake and exhaust manifolds this last weekend, truck has a 251ci flat head 6. Runs like a champ, tops out about 45mph. Has a 2spd rear axle you shift with a lever that has a rod that extends all the way back to a lever on the rear axle.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Partial to the old Dodges myself and have 3 of them. Yours is a very nice example.

One question for you. Does yours have a 251/265 ci engine opposed to the 230ci? I believe the ones made for Canada came stock with either the 251 or 265(can't remember which one) but maybe it was on the second run 62's. Just wondering about that.

Hey Kevin,...sorry for the late reply. The engine is 251ci, (250.6). 106 hp @3600 rpm, 200 ft pounds of torque @ 1200 rpm.

Lets see some pics of your old trucks.

If it is a Plymouth then it is a "Trail Duster", the Dodges were known as a "Ram Charger". Notice how they incorporated the name of one of their car models into the name.

Thanks, useful info. This one has had all the badges removed, not sure if intentionally, or when Dad squeezed a little too close to a tree.

Back