Anyone transported a chainsaw in commercial checked baggage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lyngdal

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
It's just a clean Husqvarna 351 that I found locally and a friend in France wants it to keep his 371 company.
Obviously it will be empty of fuel and oil and well cleaned before shipping, then bagged for transport in a suitcase.
Oh.. It's on an international flight.

It's just a clean Husqvarna 351 that I found locally and a friend in France wants it to keep his 371 company.
Obviously it will be empty of fuel and oil and well cleaned before shipping, then bagged for transport in a suitcase.
Oh.. It's on an international flight.
Id call the airline before attempting this.

Many years ago, I checked an electric chainsaw through in my luggage. Cleaned it meticulously. Had the bar and chain wrapped separately in corrugated cardboard. Marked the packaging clearly.

TSA ripped the packaging all apart. I guess they could have prohibited it?

I would ask the airline, as suggested above. Cleaning any fuel residue is important even for mailing.

Let us know?

Philbert

Pre 9/11 probably no issue.
post 9/11 and unit has been used with fuel and oil-may not go
and even if airline says it is good, who ever is at check in counter may say no
better off mailing in via surface( boat-not air)

Pre 9/11 probably no issue.
post 9/11 and unit has been used with fuel and oil-may not go
and even if airline says it is good, who ever is at check in counter may say no
better off mailing in via surface( boat-not air)
I fully agree but it must go air as there is no sea mail anymore that I know of. Whether you ship it or check it in baggage it will go on a plane

In 2010 I checked a Mac 10-10 (no bar) onto commercial flights from Calgary to Australia (Calgary-SF, SF-Sydney, Sydney-Perth). I removed all the fuel and oil and cleaned it up but even I could still smell a faint odour. No questions asked.

TSA stateside leaves small engine equipment up to the discretion of the airline IF it is completely purged of all fuel, including vapors. If there is any fuel it is not allowed on a commercial plane as checked or carry-on baggage. So you should check the specific airline, as well as the Tavel security agency for the country that you are headed to.

TSA.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

In 2000 I bought my MS200 in Sweden with a "tax-free" discount, as I took it back to Norway with me in my hand luggage on a commercial flight. :p
Note, this was pre-9/11, but nobody asked me if I had any fuel with me.
It was a strange feeling to know that I had a potentially fully functional chainsaw in the plane cabin.
I don't think I would try to do this today...

After going through security at the Dulles(IAD) airport on my way home today, I posed the chainsaw question to the TSA lead on duty. Basically, if there is no fuel in it, there isn't an issue. I'll let everyone know in about three weeks when I board my flight to Paris.
What about residues? Gas, oil?
tanks can be drained but there will still be traces that can trip a sensor.

I leave tank open for a few days to dry up any fuel left over and use tissue or something to wipe inside oil tank as much as possible and also let it drip out as much as I can. Then bag it with garbage bag to keep any seepage at limit any smell

use coffee grounds to hide smell??

"Chainsaw"

dr-evil-quote.gif

I sold a Solo 680 to a guy in Greece in 2021. Shipped it thru Ebay's international shipping. Emptied fuel and oil, let it air out a day or 2, nothing else. Took a long time to get there, but it went thru with no issues.

Latest posts

Back