Anyone tried the Bagster?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joesell

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been stacking my wood in totes. It works great for moving the wood around, but it takes a while for each one.

Has anyone tried the bagster from waste management? They're $26 each on Amason. My thought was that it would be great to set it up under the conveyor and just let it fill up. My only concern is that the sun will break it down, and it'll be useless after a few months.

Any thoughts? 41fjfzWyFUL._SY400_.jpg

I've not tried them, but I do use the ventilated Firewood Bags. I'm getting about four years out of them until they break down to the point that they're unusable. This looks a bit unwieldy if you'd be planning to move it around while filled with firewood. Firewood bags have typically run me about $15 each delivered and hold between 1/4 and 1/3 cord each of thrown splits. I put them on pallets and can move them around with the forks on the tractor.

Could have used a "Bagster" or two, to cover the mugg's of a few gal's I dated for a day or 3 in the past. Never thought about bagging up my firewood though.

I would think nice strong steel totes would be much better, especially if cleaned good and repainted once in awhile..

Around here, the Bagsters cost $30, plus $100+/- for pick up if you use them for construction debris. I have thought about cutting the ends off one and using it for dragging brush, as they are quite a bit heavier than the blue tarps that I can find.

I am not sure exactly what tmlkenney is referring to, but if you search on line, you can get used 'super sacks' pretty reasonably. These are used to transport powdered materials and come in various sizes. Heavy duty, woven, synthetic material with loops for lifting like a sling. I have seen guys use them to transport stuff to the compost sites, instead of using contractor bags, etc. Look like they should hold quite a bit of firewood too.

Philbert

Got any foundries around? Mold sand comes in big bags with lifting straps they are plastic lined but that might be removable. I just got a couple from next door, but haven't had a chance to dissect one yet, was going to toss the splitter trash and small uglies in them. External is a woven synthetic. Most of the time they just get tossed away.

I have about 25 steel totes already. I'm tired of stacking. It's slowing the operation down. If I drop the splits in from the conveyor, you can't get nearly as much in as stacked.

I have been kicking around making shorter rounds, but that's more splitting then.

I've been using a bagster for two seasons now, but for a different kind of heat, coal.
It will bulge out so that was a problem. it worked well for my purpose though and I bought a second one last year
as i had coal delivered and had to get a minimum amount. Seems strong, but I thought I saw a little daylight coming
through when I put the one away last spring. I'll find out in a couple months when I get them filled up again this fall.

Kevin

Do these bags get enough ventilation to let the wood dry out? I was thinking of using these large white compactor bags we have at work, with 4 lifting eyes, one in each corner, for storing firewood. However, since they are designed for holding trash, I was thinking they wouldn't breath enough for the wood to season.

Now this thread has me wondering?

I have used them for a lot for brush, and small debris, with my business. They do hold up fairly well, if not dragged across pavement. I am not sure how well wood will dry in them...especially is sitting outside with moisture getting into the bag. Moving them could also be problematic, since the sides are not stiff.

1520631_505700726211383_480339110_n.jpg

Back