anyone use that sherrill line up there???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budroe69moni

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i'm ordering some climbing line this week,
a 120' line, any opinions on the climbing
line from sherrill that's 20% off????? i'm
kind of leaning towards the 16-strand braids
of safety blue from new england ropes.
let me know.
budroe:cool:

Budroe,

The sale lines aren't NE Safety Blue.

You'll have to ask Sherril who makes the two that carry their label.

But I'm sure any of the three will satisfy you, and the prices are great.

I havent climbed on any of them, but handled a couple of the sale lines, they are great.

With many of us using split tails of a different cordage, individual line characteristics become a little less important.

Budroe,
I used to buy 120' hanks of rope. The problem is that you ALWAYS have 40'-50'-60' of rope coiled on the ground. That's a lot of rope for groundies to snag with brush, or for you to pull through when redirecting your rope.
I have a 120' that I use about once a month. It is a necessity for some taller trees. 98% of my climbing is on a 75' rope, which I can always seem to make work in almost every tree.
If you can afford it, get your 120' for the big trees. But buy a 150' and cut it in half for the other 98% of your climbing. I bet ya wear out the two 75'ers before the 120' is broken in good.

As for the type of line, it's your preference. I'm using the Safety Blue, since I'm used to it. Big corp.s will buy the least expensive option, and I got used to Safety Blue when working for Davey. I like the fact that it is stronger than 90% of the ropes out there, and handles very well also.

I have to agree with Brian on the lengths of climbing line. I use a 120, 60, and 30 foot lines. I plan to order a 200’ hank of Pro Stripe from Sherrill with a short eye splice on both ends so I can cut it into 120’ and 60’. Whatever is left over will probably wind up a short lanyard. The 60 footer ( or 75’ ) really makes a big difference when pulling the standing part through the tops or out of the way of groundies when doing removals and trims like Brian said.

My understanding is that the 2 Sherrill ropes are Blue Streak, just special made for them with different colored strands.

Granted, our Sherrill ropes aren't outrageously different from current ropes on the market, but none the less, they are not just simply green and gold versions of other ropes. We have dealt with the manufacturers regarding changes in construction and maufacturing details, which makes our ropes unique. Hope that clears this up a bit.
-Sean

Originally posted by seanlarkin
.....We have dealt with the manufacturers regarding changes in construction and maufacturing details, which makes our ropes unique. Hope that clears this up a bit.
-Sean

Clear as mud! :p Were you a politician in a former life? :D

I've recieved the Yellow Jacket I ordered and will climb on it Tuesday. It certainly handles and knots nicely. I bought a 200' hank and cut it into one 85' and one 115'. -The 85' will get used a lot more than the 115'.:)

Ummmmm, do the new constructions hath anything to do with flatter ribbons(rather than round) fiber(like blue streak?) threads, ie. easier to eyesplice?

My bumblebee line is in shipment (theoretically); will show to a few of the shops 'ere wit'dem'dare fancy shirts (convertible and rakemoister). Already tried the JPs on em though. They kinda agree with JPs strategy of 1 size fits sm-all!:angry:

These shops get mostly dang arbo-flex, plain, nelly white, lowest strength and co$t. Stiffer, lower melting point, 'filler' fibres inside (to make up to 1/2" diameter, take them out and put nylon or polyester in there place, voila, stronger rope!) Can't convince 'em that, bright colored ropes are nicer, stronger than g e neric arbo-flex, annnnnd would draw more attention to the whole display with their bright, shining song!

Perhaps sale price and color in tandem will speak to them loudly with mute testi-money!

P.S. Thanx so much for the excellent pricing on bright, strong 16 braid; and all the 'insider' running monthly specials that wee watch for each month.

I was climbing on blue streak yesterday and notice the sleeve seemed to be moving around a lot over the core, bunching up a little ahead of my blakes as i ascended, I haven't noticed this with safety blue or hi-vee and only noticed last week with the blue streak, but was really evident yesterday as I maxed out the length of a 150' on some big cottonwoods. Always did like blue streak but this didn't feel right.

Some ropes need to be 'milked' during breakin. Your max ascent yesterday would be a good time to do this. Milk all the stretched outer core to the end, trim and re-dress the end. Nothing is wrong with your rope. :)

I never did like the term break-in associated witha climbing line. But Brian is right, the outer jacket is just slipping over the inner core. No worries, mate.

those are the sherrill colors, they show up pretty good, I been using the yellow jackett for a little while, it does not hide.

If you want sherrill to doe 2 splices, just have them cut the thing for you. then you wont risk havign the core milk out of the short end and hourglass before the burry.

Latest posts

Back