Anyone use this Cheap 2 Stroke Oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are threads with the vendor names mentioned...

I dont remember off the top of my small brain but evidently the vendor has changed recently.
Smallish vendor, I cant remember, I'm OLD DAMNIT!

I'd still give it a positive nod as I have run it for years & it's not the worst you can buy.

I liked it for cold weather but preferred a thicker summer grade in warm weather.
A friend of mine that seemed to have motor problems with every vehicle he bought always used walmart motor oil, claimed it was the same as the name brands. That made my suspicion about its quality. I dumped a quart or so in this and that old motors, but don't remember doing any complete oil changes and using it.
I had a 1989 Ford Taurus back in the late 90's and early 2000's that I never used anything in except conventional Supertech 10w-30. When I sold that car it had 245K miles on it and didn't burn a bit of oil befween oil changes. My brother and dad used it in their cars too, never had engine problems.

I had a 1989 Ford Taurus back in the late 90's and early 2000's that I never used anything in except conventional Supertech 10w-30. When I sold that car it had 245K miles on it and didn't burn a bit of oil befween oil changes. My brother and dad used it in their cars too, never had engine problems.
1987 Chevy s10 4x4 2.5 liter iron duke engine (4 speed standard).

Drove the living crap out of it last 7-8 years nothing but SuperTech oil & OIL FILTERS!
Never a issue.
GREAT hunting rig that has been on some LONG TRIPS (couple hunting trips 800 mile to 1k miles round trips).

The question should be asked, who makes it? Many things are re branded and sold under a different name at a cheaper price.
It's a US company, based in texas iirc.
They do custom blends for a lot of different companies (rebranded).
I'll try to get a answer for you tomorrow.
I think Chevron used to make it, but now a much smaller outfit makes it (I could be wrong).
Plenty of info online.
I read up on it last year, but dont recall 100%.
IM OLD DAMNIT!

I use the Husqvarna two stroke oil in everything. I believe using the correct oil ratio matters. I run about 38:1 for decades, but lately I see many saws up for sale with low compression. My next mix will be 35:1 husky oil.
We must realize the older saws run a oil rich mix. My husky 260 cd is 25:1.

In my limited experience with hp ultra, it’s fine in brand new gas at 50-1. I’ve had issues though if it’s been sitting for a couple weeks or even when I mixed it 40-1. Saws would run roughly, seemed like the fuel was getting gunky. Switched to red armor 40-1 and I’ve been happy with the results. Plus it has a stabilizer in it which hp ultra used to have until Stihl took it out. I know everyone has different experiences and it could be the gas causing issues but for now it’s something I avoid.
I run the ST full synthetic in my string trimmers and I’d rather use that in my saws than the hp.

In my limited experience with hp ultra, it’s fine in brand new gas at 50-1. I’ve had issues though if it’s been sitting for a couple weeks or even when I mixed it 40-1. Saws would run roughly, seemed like the fuel was getting gunky. Switched to red armor 40-1 and I’ve been happy with the results. Plus it has a stabilizer in it which hp ultra used to have until Stihl took it out. I know everyone has different experiences and it could be the gas causing issues but for now it’s something I avoid.
I run the ST full synthetic in my string trimmers and I’d rather use that in my saws than the hp.
The issue with Ultra isn't that it causes running issues. Oils typically never cause those.
The problem is its a Jaso FB spec oil( think 1980's technology) ashless oil which doesn't do well at all in modern two strokes. It causes pretty nasty deposits. The deposits are made worse if the engine is ran hot and hard.
On top of the above it's sold at a premium price.

The issue with Ultra isn't that it causes running issues. Oils typically never cause those.
The problem is its a Jaso FB spec oil( think 1980's technology) ashless oil which doesn't do well at all in modern two strokes. It causes pretty nasty deposits. The deposits are made worse if the engine is ran hot and hard.
On top of the above it's sold at a premium price.
We were told by our stihl dealer not to run it in our saws, just the 4 mix engines. I made the mistake of buying a gallon of it for my use. I was never please with the deposits on the piston or that the spark screens constantly needed cleaned when using it. (At 50 to 1. Which I run 40 to 1 now) couple that with the pounding headache I got after a day in the woods, I give it a firm pass.

There are threads with the vendor names mentioned...

I dont remember off the top of my small brain but evidently the vendor has changed recently.
Smallish vendor, I cant remember, I'm OLD DAMNIT!

I'd still give it a positive nod as I have run it for years & it's not the worst you can buy.

We were told by our stihl dealer not to run it in our saws, just the 4 mix engines. I made the mistake of buying a gallon of it for my use. I was never please with the deposits on the piston or that the spark screens constantly needed cleaned when using it. (At 50 to 1. Which I run 40 to 1 now) couple that with the pounding headache I got after a day in the woods, I give it a firm pass.
Yes, it was designed as a bandaid fix for the four mix engines. It's an ashless oil with nitrogen/amine based dispersents so that's why it stinks. It's formulated very similar to a marine oil that all the MFG tell you not to use...

Does the bio-degradable nature of hp ultra lead to any issues? I thought that was kind of an odd thing to design into a two stroke oil.

I think it was 80% degraded in 21 days or something like that once mixed. supposedly a 4 to 5 year shelf life for the oil. I don't know if that is an unopened container or use it all within that time frame once the container is open. But they (stihl) says about the same thing for all their oils so I don't know what triggers the degradation of the oil.

Latest posts

Back