anyone using a 16' dump for chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love2cut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 16' dump truck with tandem axles and wondering if it is too big to be used as a chip truck. Not sure if it will back into a driveway without cracking concrete, if I could even manuever it in. Does anyone run this big in residential? This truck was converted from an 18 wheel tractor with a sleeper.

Any replies would be appreciated!

Actually With Tandem axles you have 8 wheels to distribute the weight compared to 4 which will distribute the load better
I run a 12' dump with 4.5' sides on a 1 ton truck with duallies and have had no problems on a drive even fully loaded doubt this will help you but anyway.

The chassis on that rig is probably heavier than the chip trucks I'm used to driving. Typically F-700/F-800 with 16' boxes. That setup is ok on most driveways if you stay away from the edges. Having 2 rear axles will help distribute the weight, but you got a lot more weight with that chassis.
Maybe stretch the box to 18'-20' with that rig, and put a giant Vermeer BC2000 behind it!:blob2:

Now Brian, why would he want a puny BC2000, when he could buy a nice new 2090 (new 20" Intimidator) Brush Bandit instead? :blob2:

It really depends on the wheel base. We have a 10 wheel loader with 18 ft bed it is close to 30 ft. It goes most places. You should get waivers on driveways. Always have some one back you in.

Just my suggestion, stay away from such a big truck. Maneuverablility is an issue, as is total weight. A friend has an 18 foot box on a single axle Freightliner, his Vermeer 1250 won't even blow chips to the front, they have to fork 'em. Unless you are doing tons of brushy removals all the time, a 17 yard box such as my L shape, 14 footer is great.

In my experience, greatly modified trucks have a greater risk of failure. It could be a little thing that just needs to be replaced more often, or it could be a big deal. On OSHA's website, I was reading through the hundreds of fatalities and the descriptions of the incidents. Many of them relate to bucket trucks and their failures.

I don't know about all areas of the country, but I'm used to seeing a lot of aging vehicles used in the industry which are prone to failure. Modifying a truck compounds the problem of age making an even weaker truck. It is my opinion that the right truck for the job is what is required to be professional, efficient, profitable and safe.

Nickrosis

We have a lot of small driveways over here and I used to drive an old International. I gave up trying to put that thing in many driveways, some chippers I could not even see in the mirrors.

I agree with not needing that much volume, unless doing land clearings or monster removals. The rig would be just too darned big. Then you gotta feed the darned thing. Imaging the shock the first time you put 80 gallons of diesel in the tank!

Wood chips weigh between 500-550 pounds per cubic yard. Calculate the volume to see how much the load would weigh. I'm guessing that you would have a lot more chassis than you would have load. That's why the trucks in the F700 range are so popular.

That said...I can understand putting together an inexpensive truck. If the chassis is cheap and sound, go for it. You probably won't ever be at a loss of power with the big tranny and duals to get you out of a tight spot.

Tom

The tanks on this truck hold 200 gallons. It was used primarily as a wood truck. They loaded it with a loader and just dumped it over the top rails. The box is tough as nails.

I'm starting to think it is a little over-kill (if there is such a thing in cutting trees).

What is the prefered truck for a big chip/wood truck? Was originally thinking a crane or loader with dump box behind it. I want a truck that can do it all. I don't want a fleet of trucks.

Any suggestions?

You need something in the 34000 to 40000 lb range with a crane in the National N-55 range with a custom box, build it your self it saves on the money, or find an old grain dump box in good shape .

Back