Anyone using Amsoil 2 cycle oil at 64:1 or more?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe it only has a API TC rating. So the Saber is better suited for small 2 cycle applications.

Oh I saw that it was heavier and thought it may give more protection anyone run it? Can you buy Amsoil off the website or do you need to be a dealer?
TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
DOMINATOR™ Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D 445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D 2270)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 97)
-51 (-60)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
90 (194)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D 92)
90 (194)

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
Saber™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97)
-36 (-33)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
114 (237)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
114 (237)
DANGER: harmful or fatal if swallowed. Contains synthetic lubricant and petroleum distillates. If swallowed do not induce vomiting. Contact a physician immediately. Keep away from fire, heat and open flame. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid frequent or prolonged skin contact. Flush eyes with water for 15 minutes in case of contact. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

AMSOIL 2-Cycle Oil Lineup

Last edited:
Can you buy Amsoil off the website or do you need to be a dealer?
You just buy it off the shelf at an Amsoil dealer...(as per what I posted iin the "gas and oil" thread.
(Most 'dealers' ...it's just a side line as with my car-wash and oil change guy.)

Dealer Locator.

Put in your zip code and a map will appear...zoom in closer and you might get more dealers

Click on the dealer orange icon
You should get the dealer or person and a phone number.

If you have problems with their website...(it's kinda working now).....then just call...1-800-956-5695
( Get customer service and ask for your local dealers.)

You can also buy it online at Amsoil.com - but just buying from a local dealer would be much easier..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
No. It is not formulated specifically for small engines. Use Saber, as it is specially made for the small 2-cycles. I am sure that Dominator would do OK, but I would not recommend using other than what is recommended. The reason why Amsoil now has several different types of oil is that they formulated it more closely for a specific use. It used to be that there was only the pre-mix and the injector, but now they have broken it down farther and more specific to use.

Minus power valves and injectors, a 2 cycle engine is a 2 cycle engine, large or small. If I were to run Amsoil it would be Dominator as it's a high RPM racing oil, I'm sure saber is fine, but I want an oil that will burn well mixed at 32:1 or 50:1 not 100:1.

Man when fall gets here all the newbies signup.:dizzy:

Minus power valves and injectors, a 2 cycle engine is a 2 cycle engine, large or small. If I were to run Amsoil it would be Dominator as it's a high RPM racing oil, I'm sure saber is fine, but I want an oil that will burn well mixed at 32:1 or 50:1 not 100:1.

Andy do you think the Dominator oil would do well in the fourmix as well as the saws?

Andy do you think the Dominator oil would do well in the fourmix as well as the saws?

Yes, it's a high end product with a great add pack, at least that's what my research tells me. However the best oil I've found to run in 4-mix engines is Ultra at 50:1. 4-mix engines are a completely different animal and should be treated as such IMHO.

I can assure you that Sabre burns very cleanly at all mix ratio's. I run 40:1 and no deposits.

Andy,
Why do you think that Ultra is better than Dominator in the 4-mix? That does not make sense to me, since they are both synthetic 2-cycle.

Andy,
Why do you think that Ultra is better than Dominator in the 4-mix? That does not make sense to me, since they are both synthetic 2-cycle.

I believe that ultra's formula was designed almost specifically for the 4-mix engines, and they seem to run better on ultra than any other oil I've used. Even though both oils are synthetic the properties of each oil can and do very widely, from the base stocks used to the additives. When it comes to choosing from the top tier syn oils, for the most part we're splitting hairs, but that's what we like to do on AS.

Andy,

Because, according to Lakeside, Ultra was blended by Castrol specifically for the 4-Mix engine, ie. the additive package was carefully balanced to suit it, and it just so happens it works well for normal two stroke engines too whereas the Amsoil oil is a 'generic' two stroke oil, blended to suit the widest possible number of applications, not that specific engine.

FYI, the 4 mix engine will run a long time and put up with loads of abuse on regular Dino oil. Friend of mine with the tree service uses them for the hedge trimmers and pole saw, and always run the regular Stihl oil in them, the last one that died, only died because one of the valves broke in half and burried into the piston, he's put many years of commercial use on them with no problems.

FYI, the 4 mix engine will run a long time and put up with loads of abuse on regular Dino oil. Friend of mine with the tree service uses them for the hedge trimmers and pole saw, and always run the regular Stihl oil in them, the last one that died, only died because one of the valves broke in half and burried into the piston, he's put many years of commercial use on them with no problems.

They've improved the 4-mix engines over the years, the early 4-mix's were dropping like flies with valve issues. Things were so bad they even made engine decarbonization a part of regular suggested maintenance, still do.

I have been thinking about using in in all my 2 stroke stuff around the house. But it is easier and cheaper to buy the stihl oil in the correct size and dump it in the can.

Do the math.

Actually much cheaper to burn Amsoil than STIHL oil...........if you do the math PROPERLY.
(12) 3.5oz bottles = $21
(6) 2.6oz bottles = $12

They say it can be run at 100:1, that doesn't mean you have to. I run Amisoil Sabre professional at 50:1 in my saws.

Me, too. I run the Amsoil Sabre at 50:1 in all my saws and other 2-stroke stuff. Like a whole lot of other people, I used to use Mobil 1 T2 racing synthetic, but they quit making it. Strangely enough, the Amsoil has the identical same "burning plastic" smell when it burns. I have inspected the bore on several of the saws and a couple of the string trimmers and they always look great.

Ahhhhhhhh.... I love the smell of smoke in the morning. It smells like.... chainsaws.

Al
Cincinnati,OH

Me, too. I run the Amsoil Sabre at 50:1 in all my saws and other 2-stroke stuff. Like a whole lot of other people, I used to use Mobil 1 T2 racing synthetic, but they quit making it. Strangely enough, the Amsoil has the identical same "burning plastic" smell when it burns. I have inspected the bore on several of the saws and a couple of the string trimmers and they always look great.

Ahhhhhhhh.... I love the smell of smoke in the morning. It smells like.... chainsaws.

Al
Cincinnati,OH
I've done a bit of research both on the web and reading literature...and Saber seems the best Amsoil pre-mix for chainsaws.

The "Dominator" Syn-Oil...(as I read it both on web and especially in their catalog)...is that the 'Dominator'..
is a complex mixture / blend especially made for uses like snowmobile racing...Amsoil sponsors several series..!!

It clearly says in their catalog that the Professional Saber blend is the one designed for chainsaws..!!

If some want to run 'Injector' or 'Dominator'...it's probably just fine..?? - or I hope so for them..!!
:cheers:
J2F

As Andy said, we are probably just splitting hairs on most oil. Although, as he said about using the Ultra, it is formulated more for a specific use. That is what the Amsoil is all about. They went from having one pre-mix to having several to formulate them for more specific applications. I am going to follow what is recommended, even though other formulations may work fine.

Back