Anyone using Chain-serts; replaceable carbide cutter, 3/4" chain,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of them, but it looks like a good idea.

Mr. HE:cool:

I've talked to a few guys that have used them on processors in hardwood. They loved them but within a week they started breaking. A lot. They didn't continue using them

It's interesting (in a geeky way) how many things have been tried with saw chain. A while back, I looked up Joe Cox's original patent for modern chainsaw chain (1946) and ran across another patent he filed for replaceable tooth chains/tooth inserts in 1958*. We are more of a 'throw-away' society now, but a lot of guys will note that the chassis of their chain might still be good, even when the cutters are worn away. Kind of like retreading tires.

Might be some applications where it makes sense. If it is only to replace a damaged carbide cutter, the additional cost of manufacturing this chain has to be compared to just spinning in an new link.

Philbert

(*EDIT: looks like Joe Cox was not the first one to propose this either - he references others!)

http://www.google.com.ar/patents/US2852048

Philbert
Screen shot 2014-11-24 at 10.22.45 AM.png Screen shot 2014-11-24 at 10.23.08 AM.png

i didn't mean the carbide cutters were breaking off. The chain itself was breaking (sidestraps and drivers) the processor saw in combination with the hardmaple wood type were too much for the chain.

Back