Aphids ****

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with them. They are bad this year, trees full of them raining aphid spit. Grass is shiny from it every morning. My current pile of rounds and the split stacks are right under the trees. rounds sticky to pick up, maul/sledge/x27 handles get so sticky you can't use 'em without washing and then 30 minutes later, wash again. I currently have my cart, sledge/x27/maul parked by a hydrant and even bought a scrub brush to give everything a good cleanup before I tackle the splitting again. Yesterday I had to wahs the X27 once and quit splitting when it needed clean-up again shortly thereafter.

Harry K

I get that stickiness on everything in my yard and my cars and trucks. Wasn't sure what it was. I don't think it's all aphid spit. On a calm day it looks like it's misting. I thought is was some kind of pollen or honey dew coming off the trees. It attracts dirt and turns everything black. And my lawn chairs are always sticky.

If you are *sure* it is aphids, you can order bulk ladybugs and have them delivered for pretty darn cheap, around 15 bucks for 1500 ladybugs. Get a few containers and turn them loose in those trees.

It's aphids. I know a guy in that area that had a sprayer powered by a straight six Ford industrial motor just for spraying whole trees for aphids. He's retired or I'd send you his number, he worked the whole eastern side of WA.

Mr. HE:cool:

Many years ago, I was in town with my wood hauler 1989 F150, beat to crap, paint bad, very good mechanically, It was full of the aphid stuff. Saw a HS car wash in action and pulled in. The shocked look on the washer's faces was worth the cost. I told them all I needed was for them to get all the sticky stuff off. :)

Harry K

It's aphids. I know a guy in that area that had a sprayer powered by a straight six Ford industrial motor just for spraying whole trees for aphids. He's retired or I'd send you his number, he worked the whole eastern side of WA.

Mr. HE:cool:

Maybe he would rent out the sprayer for one day, if he still has it.

edit: although I still like the idea of a few thousand ladybugs turned loose in the trees better.

Latest posts

Back