Apprentices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though I'd be a bit old to apprentice, I'd jump at that opportunity.
Apprenticeship programs seem to be almost non-existent, or at least at such a low level that they're hard to come by or get into.
The ones that are around seem to be for technology trades, not "real" working trades.
Until they create a timbco that can work on a cliff face, there will always need to be skilled fellers, and they are getting more rare by the day. Too many of the younger generation have no interest in getting out of cell range and getting dirty.
Hell, I've become just as bad of a technology addict... I sometimes need to go way up in the mountains, out of service area, just to go thru technology withdrawl enough to get my head screwed back on straight.

It's a noble idea...however, insurance companies don't seem to want anyone running a chainsaw. As far as the gubment...I don't think they give two ####s enough to "help" in any way...unless "they" are get'n some money out of the deal. The gubment seems like they only want to spawn nurses and such...or hand out disability, food stamps, and free phones. Yeah for Obamanomics! :msp_rolleyes:

ps. sorry if that seems brash...I'm fricken wore out :dizzy:

Did you have a family connection at the company? I'm sure it has happened but your chances as an 18-19 year old green kid to go falling for a line machine are not very good.

Yes I did have a family connection and it wouldn't have mattered if I couldn't have cut it.
You are correct, chances are non-existant for most.

Where I worked all the fallers came up through the rigging and learned to cut along the way. Pretty much non existant for someone to start falling right out the gate.

Same here. Plus, most of the ones with family connections were told to work in the rigging so they'd know how important it is to do a proper lay for the yarder.

Templar, most of the falling here is done on steep ground. The yarding system to be used, is usually a skyline. A faller may know how to get the trees on the ground safely, but they've really got to add putting trees on the ground in a pattern so efficient and safe yarding can be done. Read on the cable yarding thread how one faller, in one day, messed things up so that setting did more damage than all the others combined.

In thinnings, before falling even starts, the skyline corridors are flagged in so the fallers know which way the logs go. You just don't go out and fall trees any which way.

if the mods see this please delete my profile thanks ..........

No, not going to do it. Stick around. Give this place, and yourself, a chance.

People here don't always agree with each other but that doesn't mean that anybody is causing anybody else any grief. You're doing fine. Just learn to roll with the punches a little...just like in the woods.

There's some good people here, especially in the F&L threads. If our methods and terminology and the way we express ourselves doesn't always seem clear that's not a major issue.

We can usually answer any questions you have...maybe not in the most tactful way but the answers will be honest and based on real world experience. None of us went to charm school...although maybe some of us should have. :laugh:

It's all about communication. Some times we're not real good at it. But we honestly try.

I am well aware of skylines and know how to lay to a pattern I am not in the big guy league but I am no yahoo. I have falled timber stateside (not the giants that the other guys over there have) I have cut in europe too.

I wish you could see the hill right behind where I live at the mo (where I was taught) so I know about steep ground.

All I was trying to start a discussion on was the need to pass on skills

I'll bow outta here now as it would seem I know nothing and I do apologize for raising this thread as it seems you have taken major issue

Come on Mr templar, slowp was not having a go at you, if you look at post 10 you did come across like you were a bit of a novice and slowp just pointed out what can go wrong if the pattern is laid wrong, I do not think he was having a dig at you.

I wished I had some pointers today as I split a nice veneer red oak log today. The tree went up 40' then crotched out every which way. I did my face cut bored out the center so as not to pull out the center. Then started my back cut and it went right where I wanted it to. but that crotch broke and split the top 20 feet of a veneer log well at least a grade 1 saw log clear on 3 sides. Split perfectly in 2!!!!! I wanted to set myself on fire then pull out my finger nails then clip off my fingers whilst on fire. But hey crap happens live and learn. I found out that the GOL classes here only teach safety and fundamentals of falling. So it would be cool to learn from some with more experience.

I am well aware of skylines and know how to lay to a pattern I am not in the big guy league but I am no yahoo. I have falled timber stateside (not the giants that the other guys over there have) I have cut in europe too.

I wish you could see the hill right behind where I live at the mo (where I was taught) so I know about steep ground.

All I was trying to start a discussion on was the need to pass on skills

I'll bow outta here now as it would seem I know nothing and I do apologize for raising this thread as it seems you have taken major issue

Good heavens man! If I were chewing you out, or mad, I'd be much worse. I highlighted what I did because I know not of your experience, or others, who are on here and it is an important thing to remember. Excuse the typing because my computer keeps flashing that Windlows Explorer has stopped working and then Windows Explorer has restarted and blocking my screen. Virus?

Anyway, no harm was meant but please be of thicker skin. There is so much talk of just getting trees on the ground and yarding what is on the ground is seldom discussed.

Now, do I have a computer virus??? It is certainly maddening.

Latest posts

Back