Appropriate steps to detur firewood thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just build a fence so they have to do some type of work to get to the wood. Most thieves/freeloaders do not like to work to get something. If they still take it, maybe electrify fence? My dad had all of his fences electrified at one point because the neighbors would sneak into the woods and shoot the deer. They didn't do it again after the fence got HOT.

update-

This past Sunday I installed a 42W flourescent outdoor fixture that does a good job of lighting up my stacking area. By Tuesday noon a single store bought wood bundle was sitting in the empty notch in my firewood stack, replacing about a quarter of what is missing. Last night the neighbor wanders over and opens the conversation with something about spraying the lawn with weed killer blablablah. Then he gets to the new light....what's up with installing it, they were going to have a fire but my new light was brighter than the fire and it bothered them etc... Well I just said I was missing items in the back yard and for theft prevention I had to install the light to protect my property. I also mentioned that the firewood was the main thing missing and I felt if I didn't do something it would just get worse. At this point he admitted they took a "couple" arm loads of wood when they were partying and "didn't have a chance to mention it". I said well that's just great, I just spent $50+ install on the light because nobody said nothing for a week+
He then offered to pay the $50 so I would keep it off :), I declined and said I would "work with him" when they wanted to have a fire. Ended with him offering up some wood he knows about bucked into rounds... course I'll have to haul it, split it, he'll keep half or more... such a deal.

Last edited:
At least you know who was takin the wood now, Kinda stinks they don't ask or tell you. Sounds like you need a fenced in yard. Fences make good neighbors.

I did bring the fence idea up, saying I need more firewood storage and would stack along my side of the fence.. lots of benefits, don't have to look at their crap pile, much harder for them to get to the wood, don't have to look at them when they're acting like drunken idiots (not acting- they are).... the list goes on..

Last edited:
no wonder they took your wood, look at all that free fire wood you got stacked in yourback yard:hmm3grin2orange: just kidding!

thats the problem with the US and our government. People see others with extra whether it be money or firewood and think its okay to take cuz in their mind "they got plenty"

WELL DAM IT, IT AINT OKAY!!! they could have the same pile of firewood you got or the same amnount of money in their acct. as a wealthly man if they got off their AZZ, took a little bit of initiative and worked. Instead of redistribution of wealth, your redistributing your firewood.

this government and peoples mentality makes me sick. utterly sick!

okay im off my soapbox now:clap:
damn straight,skippy---

at least they admitted it. I would put up a nice tall fence so you could stack maybe 5-6 feet of wood and still have enough fence to keep anyone from reaching over....maybe 8 feet?:bang: I know if one of my neighbors came over to "get a couple arm loads" There would be a nice tall fence around the WHOLE yard and there would be a gate on the driveway. The nearest neighbor is 1/3 mile away and they are good people so I don't have to worry. Besides...they just cut almost a dozen truck loads of wood for winter. I think they got an OWB!!!!

I did bring the fence idea up, saying I need more firewood storage and would stack along my side of the fence.. lots of benefits, don't have to look at their crap pile, much harder for them to get to the wood, don't have to look at them when they're acting like drunken idiots (not acting- they are).... the list goes on..

put the fence two inches inside you property line--he cant do squat about it---and after you fence all sides of said property--turn a doby loose in there------------------------thieves!!!! and screw the good neighbor approach--ive been there once toooo often--hard line tactics are the only thing that works with some kerks--male or female--

It is very hard to be the forgiving neighbor when you are the only one giving in. Have the same problem come hunting season with the people around me who only own 1 or 2 acres. They figure, well those guys (me, my father in law and brother in law) have more than they can hunt, so they won't mind if I just sit in the tree stand they worked hard to bust a trail to and risked life and limb to hang it:angry: These are the same people who used to dump their grass clippings and rocks over where I built my house before I built it because, well, they won't care, they don't live there. Thanks you frikkin TOUCHHOLES!!!! Piss poor mentality if you ask me, cause of a lot of problems in this great nation.

drill a large hole in a small round, stuff an m-1000 inside, and find a small piece to fill the hole. See how much more wood they take after peeing their pants from the blast in their campfire. Just be sure to mark it so YOU know which one it is!

Update

Well a few things have transpired since my last update. Neighbor expressed his disapproval of the new light and admitting taking a "couple" armloads of wood. I responded that I had no idea who took the wood and had $50 into the light +install but said that I would work with him when they wanted to use their back deck with firepit. (light only shines on a small portion of there firepit area, not at all on the deck). So I removed the original 42W flourescent and went down to a 4W flourescent (25W incandescent equiv). It's basically just ambiance lighting now - this was my idea of working with them and last weekend when they were out back with guests the light was OFF the entire time.

Well yesterday I go out back to the stacking area to investigate a downed box elder and discover they have put up a chain with private property - no trespass sign on it and strung it from their rear property line about 15 ft to the chainlink fence that lines the quarry's property. This 15ft has always been used as an alley and is my best access to the rear of my property. (for the 24 years we've lived there).

Neighbor comes out while I'm back there checking things out and claims the alley as his private property and I was no longer allowed to drive my truck thru the alley behind his property. Also claimed to have checked with the city on his statement.
I have the plot maps and I am clearly not driving on his property and will confirm that with the city today. He also goes on about how my light has ruined their considerable investment in their deck and firepit area and that any firewood I have stored in the alley area behind their property must be removed (about a face cord, removal was planned anyway).

Property survey scheduled and fence materials in the shed. I'm done with these turds.

Man! This is some argument over petty instances...

This goes to show that you only get bees with honey. Since you puffed up your chest and installed the light you pissed off the neighbors and now he is puffing up his chest to assert his power. Come on get over it!

Both of your families need to get together and do the honorable thing and fess up to your mistakes. Approach them and admit that the light was uncalled for, wrong, and that it is going down. Also you have to forgive him for his trespass.

If you have kids this is a great opportunity to teach them the lesson in that you should have just manned up to talking with the neighbor by asking undirected questions (like others members on here) when you suspected that they stole from you. He may have just admitted to it and you would have forgave him. Teach them that what you did just escalated the situation.

Then it is up to your neighbor to apologize and forgive...

What you guys are doing is just escalating the petty situation and making it even more straining on your relationship and everybody apart of it.

I mean they are your neighbors, I too struggle with my neighborly relations (my neighbor wanton cut a bunch of our common 30+ year old sugar maple trees along our property boundary without my permission which is against the law). I have learned the best thing is to not let the infraction go on and fester in your mind. Approach the neighbor and tell them of your feelings in a loving manner... and move on forgive and forget...

Sorry for the rant......

yea I know your pissed about the wood, but your going to waste alot of energy on anger. theyre your neighbors and you have to look at them.

you two just need to get together and talk it out. in the end youll both be happier

build a fence, get all the wood on your property and out of the alley and move on., but turn the damn light off. you know who took the wood and you keep iton for spite. now theyve spited you.

I know your neighbor is a freeloader, but having a bright light shining on his property sucks. esp when you know they enjoy hanging out there on weekends...

Im all for a beer and bonfire!! and having a light shine on your bonfire area or anywhere around it sucks

Last edited:
Man! This is some argument over petty instances...

This goes to show that you only get bees with honey. Since you puffed up your chest and installed the light you pissed off the neighbors and now he is puffing up his chest to assert his power. Come on get over it!

Sorry for the rant......

Good point and we have gotten over issues with other neighbors and are on good terms. This particular neighbor however we have a bit of history as explained in a previous post.

Lets see- put in a shared pond on the property line. Since then they don't do jack for maintaining or paying for replacement equipment. 85% of install costs covered by me.
After all this- we can't use the pond area when they are gone, there dog barks out the windows the entire time we are using it.

Given them tons of good stuff to help them out, nice washer, digital cameral, bed, etc.

Replace engine in their Saturn. Donated all my time, equipment, shop etc.

Replaced door on their Cirrus - no cost to them, I even covered the door.

Replace head gaskets on their 3.8 Taurus (16 hr job) - agreed that parts would be covered by them, and I would receive part of sale price when sold- It was sold and I never saw a cent except for parts. Car was junkyard bound before I repaired it.

In the past given them plenty of firewood- all my equipment, sometimes he helped load the rounds into the truck.

Several times when they've had guests they have piled there garbage/recycling up against my garage to hide it from their guests- never asking permission - only to mention it afterwords - laughing it off.

Borrowed lots of tools, only to never have them returned until I ask for them back - record was a power tool he had for 2 years.

So should I still be neighborly - go over and admit the light was a mistake and we should mend our ways?

Last edited:
Agreed, the light on the bonfire sucks. Since it's been installed it's been OFF when they are out back. Now if I'm not there to turn it off - it's only a 4 watt flourescent and its a good 100 ft + away from the firepit.

yea I know your pissed about the wood, but your going to waste alot of energy on anger. theyre your neighbors and you have to look at them.

you two just need to get together and talk it out. in the end youll both be happier

build a fence, get all the wood on your property and out of the alley and move on., but turn the damn light off. you know who took the wood and you keep iton for spite. now theyve spited you.

I know your neighbor is a freeloader, but having a bright light shining on his property sucks. esp when you know they enjoy hanging out there on weekends...

Im all for a beer and bonfire!! and having a light shine on your bonfire area or anywhere around it sucks

So should I still be neighborly - go over and admit the light was a mistake and we should mend our ways?

Dont admit it was a mistake or apologize, but explain to him yourview on things and try to work it out. he lives to close to you. youll be pissed everytime you look in his yard or see him. its called "agreeing to disagree

2 yrs. ago I had a bad family tiff with my uncle that lives down the road and he was clearly in the wrong. we dont speak now and I wish things couldve been handled differently. we both kicked eachother off eachothers property and did things to spite eachother. in the end it really wasnt worth it. were both to stuborn to mend our ways which is dumb.

thats why im telling you to try. its not worth it

and belive me i know ur pissed. but youll be mad everytime you see him, his yard, a bonfire or anything if you dont mend, just like i did and believe me it took me a looonnng time to let it go

Last edited:
Good point and we have gotten over issues with other neighbors and are on good terms. This particular neighbor however we have a bit of history as explained in a previous post.

Lets see- put in a shared pond on the property line. Since then they don't do jack for maintaining or paying for replacement equipment. 85% of install costs covered by me.

Given them tons of good stuff to help them out, nice washer, digital cameral, bed, etc.

Replace engine in their Saturn. Donated all my time, equipment, shop etc.

Replaced door on their Cirrus - no cost to them, I even covered the door.

Replace head gaskets on their 3.8 Taurus (16 hr job) - agreed that parts would be covered by them, and I would receive part of sale price when sold- It was sold and I never saw a cent except for parts. Car was junkyard bound before I repaired it.

In the past given them plenty of firewood- all my equipment, sometimes he helped load the rounds into the truck.

Several times when they've had guests they have piled there garbage/recycling up against my garage to hide it from their guests- never asking permission - only to mention it afterwords - laughing it off.

Borrowed lots of tools, only to never have them returned until I ask for them back - record was a power tool he had for 2 years.

Yes it certainly sounds like you have done alot of positive things for this family and I read that earlier. The way I see it giving is more for the giver than the taker. But you seem to not be approaching these givings in this manner so you must have expected a return on the work that you invested; they havent paid for your services.

Have you talked to them about their actions in all of these cases. If you let them walk all over you and get away with it before what makes them think that you would do anything different by them borrowing some wood.

Sometimes we can be doormats to family and friends but their comes a time when enough is enough and you showed that by putting up your light which is petty as you can tell it only infected the situation further.

I hate to be confrontational too but sometimes you just have to communicate how you feel in a caring manner ASAP when something like the car being sold happens and no money is put in your pot. You have to let them know that the stuff is not free (if you didn't intend to give it away for free).

I read an awesome article a few months back about welding for a friend and I think it is bang on for this kind of work you describe:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1563131/welding_for_a_friend_should_you_charge.html?cat=31

I do alot of work for friends and family; Sometimes you need to take ownership of your time, skill, and tool investment. I charge (within reason) for a big job like changing a HG or welding a new axle on a boat trailer, especially if they are not right there helping to get the job done. If they dont like it then they know where to go if they want it done - the mechanic$$$$$.

I dont know what exactly is going on in your situation you keep doing what you are doing if you dont like what I am saying.

Should you keep forgiving - in my situation yes because I am a Christian that is what I believe is the right thing to do if you ever want to have a healthy relationship with anybody. But you still have to communicate your disdain for their actions and let them know that you dont hold it against them and then move on and really forgive them... If that person truly cares about you then they will change their actions towards you, if they dont then at least things are kept civil, you let them know how you feel, and you dont associate with them anymore. There is not this no trespassing stuff or anger towards one another.

cedarman I agree there is a time and place to help a buddy out but when your talking significant workload you need to take ownership of your expense in their matter.

How much work did they (carpenters) do for you?
Did they put in the hours and money like 3fordasho?
Did you contribute to help the carpenter in what he was doing for you?

I often help a buddy out for nothing as well because tomorrow I may come calling but what about when they roll up into your driveway with a 20+ hour welding job? You have to draw the line somewhere... Thats 20+ hours that you will never get back, thats 20 hours away from doing the things you love like spending time with family. And the article demonstrated that it is not always black and white.

Our friend here is holding a grudge because he put in effort and did not get his expected return. I am validating his concern and telling him that he should have got it off his chest and to not hold onto it. But you need to strike while the iron is hot so they say...

Back