Appropriate steps to detur firewood thieves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
x's 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some scum wont change--

You got that right!

So the neighbors wife (who works for the city) has been whining to all her coworkers, gets the city to write a letter (to us both actually) explaining the possible vacated alley issue. But then the letter goes on to say parking and driving on grass is prohibited, and if I or other neighbors are driving on paths (vacated alley ways) off of the main street in front of the propertys, that they may need to be paved. It then goes on to day that aerial imagery indicates that this might be a concern on our properties- citing an area that is north of both our properties:confused:

Then the letter goes on to state city lighting regulations, saying my lighting can only read 1/2 foot candle at the lot lines..:mad: And the city may issue citation in cases of continued violation..

Last statement advises us both as neighbors to work together to resolve any issues.

So this morning I was over at two other neighbors helping them clean up a fallen box elder, and the troublemakers wife came out and finally starting cleaning up some moldy, rain soaked carpets that I've had to look at and smell for the last 4 months. I finished with the fallen box elder and was walking thru the very alley they've blocked off with chain&sign, I bumped into it and caused the chain to rattle a bit... well this just set her off and she laid into me about "growing up". I responded that the chain had no business being there.
She then said why can I block the alley to the south with firewood - well I said first the neighbor to the south blocked it with a fence, so what difference does it make if I stacked wood along that fence? (neighbor to the south is ok with it). Then she picks another topic to ##### about- the fact that I went behind their property, behind the alley,behind the quarrys fence, into the quarry and cleaned up a old dumping ground- This was a two day job and I thought I was doing everyone a favor. Well their miffed because I didn't clear it with them first. I mentioned it's not their property, she mentioned its not mine. Again all I did was clean up a lot of trash that people (including them) have illegally dumped for years. Every other neighbor is ok, but these ying-yangs have a big problem. The last words out of her mouth was "all this over a couple lousy sticks of firewood":mad:

I would be calling the cops and reporting the stolen wood, you don't have to file charges. I sure want the theft of record. The mayor might be surprised to know that a wood thief is in the cities employment.

I'd be finding a lawyer real soon, sounds like they're looking for trouble now...

Well the one thing I got going is they don't have a pot to pi$$ in. He's been out of work for 3 weeks +.
The city suggested getting a survey done to resolve the alley issue, that's $800. I'm already getting one done so I can put up the fence. Guess I don't have to share the results and tell them to get their own done.:)

The funny thing is - this morning a couple hours after her rant she is up at the shared pond area sweeping the pavers off and rearranging their table and chairs. Now what kind of trouble will I be in when I pull all my equipment and pavers out of that shared area? Half on their property and half on mine.

:agree2:

If they have "connections" to the municipal office concerned with this issue, you need a lawyer now. Well, at least for the way things work in my area of the country, you would.

Yea, this is a concern. However, she has a low $$ data entry job. She misses alot of work from hangovers and such and I'm sure shes hated as much at the office as she is in the neighborhood. Of course it took us a couple years to see their true colors.

Ok, I have a few more stories to tell about my "wonderfull neighbors" but first I'd like to apologize if anyone is getting really tired of this thread... it is however very theraputic to get this stuff of my chest. anyway the stories:

Last summer or maybe the summer before I had rented a boom lift to do some trimming around the yard (have a really tall elm). Now at $150/24hrs I wanted to get my moneys worth. This was one of those tow behind units and is battery powered (not noisy at all). Anyway got it on a friday afternoon and did quite a bit of trimming. Saturday I still had it till noon so I looked for more trimming jobs. A medium to large size hackberry sits on the property line and extends above the pond area. A large dead branch extended over the neighbors property and I thought I would be nice and take it down. (if it fell on it's own it could hurt someone at the pond sitting area or at least damage some pavers. So at 9am begin to position the lift with my pick up. Neighbors window opens up and they start complaining about the noise the truck is making.... Fine. I quit and now that ugly dead branch still threatens. Also should mention that I was accessing the branch from MY property, not theirs.

Fast forward to last saturday. The neighbor on the other side of my "favorite neighbor" hired a couple guys to replace his side entry door and also build new steps to both his side entry and front entry. They start about 8:30 am sawing and hammering and such, you know-normal construction noises. Pretty soon the trouble making neighbors wifes comes out ranting at the construction guys to knock off the noise (you know- another hangover recovery), Construction boys tell her to f-off and go pound sand.:clap:
They can make all the noise they want at 8:30 am. I love stories like that.:)

Last edited:
I would give this a try the kids would climb all over the wood pile hey stop your going to get hurt kept on climbing then one day I said watch out for the poison ivy the climbing stop could walk up an say dam timber rattler about got me getting wood off the pile or the bees just built a nasty nest be careful around the wood pile

I would give this a try the kids would climb all over the wood pile hey stop your going to get hurt kept on climbing then one day I said watch out for the poison ivy the climbing stop could walk up an say dam timber rattler about got me getting wood off the pile or the bees just built a nasty nest be careful around the wood pile

huh:dizzy:

Ok, I have a few more stories to tell about my "wonderfull neighbors" but first I'd like to apologize if anyone is getting really tired of this thread... it is however very theraputic to get this stuff of my chest. anyway the stories:

Last summer or maybe the summer before I had rented a boom lift to do some trimming around the yard (have a really tall elm). Now at $150/24hrs I wanted to get my moneys worth. This was one of those tow behind units and is battery powered (not noisy at all). Anyway got it on a friday afternoon and did quite a bit of trimming. Saturday I still had it till noon so I looked for more trimming jobs. A medium to large size hackberry sits on the property line and extends above the pond area. A large dead branch extended over the neighbors property and I thought I would be nice and take it down. (if it fell on it's own it could hurt someone at the pond sitting area or at least damage some pavers. So at 9am begin to position the lift with my pick up. Neighbors window opens up and they start complaining about the noise the truck is making.... Fine. I quit and now that ugly dead branch still threatens.

Fast forward to last saturday. The neighbor on the other side of my "favorite neighbor" hired a couple guys to replace his side entry door and also build new steps to both his side entry and front entry. They start about 8:30 am sawing and hammering and such, you know-normal construction noises. Pretty soon the trouble making neighbors wifes comes out ranting at the construction guys to knock off the noise (you know- another hangover recovery), Construction boys tell her to f-off and go pound sand.:clap:
They can make all the noise they want at 8:30 am. I love stories like that.:)

dont worry about ranting man, thats why they make sites like these, its great to get it off your chest, right? :clap:
ive been following the thread and i am amazed everytime i check up and read more about these idiots, their stupidity is very entertaining , gotta love the un-knowing construction guys tellin her to get lost while they were tryin to work, lol

]
Simple if they don't like it they don't have to read the thread. I am happy to hear I am not the only one dealing with idiots like this. So far my neighbours have been good it's a friends neighbors who are just insane.

Some pepole just don't get it"

Some of it was free... of course there is the $13K truck to haul it home in, the $1200 splitter, 2-3 chainsaws @ $500 each, ++++ the list goes on.
Not to mention the back breaking labor involved. None of which they have or would contribute to.

Yea, They don't understand the work that goes into the processing of the wood. I keep a pile of miscellaneous wood for friends and neighbors to burn outdoors,stuff that's hard to stack,wont split right,or is to small to mess with. You think that would keep them out of the good stuff. RONG!!!! I have caught them in the act. I even had one friend that told other friends he should have told me to kiss his *** and took the good wood when i wasn't around. I now have a large gate that keeps them all out.

Yea, They don't understand the work that goes into the processing of the wood. I keep a pile of miscellaneous wood for friends and neighbors to burn outdoors,stuff that's hard to stack,wont split right,or is to small to mess with. You think that would keep them out of the good stuff. RONG!!!! I have caught them in the act. I even had one friend that told other friends he should have told me to kiss his *** and took the good wood when i wasn't around. I now have a large gate that keeps them all out.

Ya it just seems you can't give any wood away. Give it away once and it becomes expected time after time. A good friend of mine asked me this past winter if I had any extra wood. Told him their is no such thing as "extra" wood. Any wood that doesn't get burned this year will get burned next. Then he went on to say afterward that it wasn't for him anyway, he was going to give it to his mother in law. Had a hunch something was up since he doesn't own a wood stove.

More wood missing

Got home from a trip to my brothers about 5:30pm to find the neighbors with a fire going in the firepit. Use the scope on the pellet gun to get a close look at the wood in the fire and it's huge splits of elm just like what is in part of the stack. (not at all like the little bitty splits you get at the gas station) Walk over to the stack (just redone yesterday) to find several loose sections where I'm 99% sure they've taken wood. Call the police, file a report. Policeman is very sympathetic after hearing the story.
All lights go back on, this time with aluminum duct tape to shield the direct line of sight to them. (city recommended). The saga continues.

Last edited:

:clap::clap::clap::confused: i couldnt agree more.^^^^^^^

A consultation with a lawyer is an excellent idea. We know your neighbors are broke and cant afford one, but with a consultation at least some of your questions get answered and you dont have to wonder.

I been keeping up with this thread. very enteraining I must say.

Got home from a trip to my brothers about 5:30pm to find the neighbors with a fire going in the firepit. Use the scope on the pellet gun to get a close look at the wood in the fire and it's huge splits of elm just like what is in part of the stack. (not at all like the little bitty splits you get at the gas station) Walk over to the stack (just redone yesterday) to find several loose sections where I'm 99% sure they've taken wood. Call the police, file a report. Policeman is very sympathetic after hearing the story.
All lights go back on, this time with aluminum duct tape to shield the direct line of sight to them. (city recommended). The saga continues.

What did the policeman tell you to do about it? Maybe you should get a trail cam and get evidence.

What did the policeman tell you to do about it? Maybe you should get a trail cam and get evidence.

Lets see... paint the ends of the wood, drill holes in it and put something in that smokes really bad... something about claymore mines cutting them off at the waist.... I think he was serious about painting the wood :)

He did ask if I wanted him to talk to them, I said no, just want to get a report on file. They did see me talking to him for a good 1/2 hour.
I told him I was not that concerned about the firewood, but about the way they are escalating the situation.

Also said I was doing the right things with the fence, waiting for the survey before dismanteling the pond, and using the alley again etc.

Also mentioned to call 911 anytime they have a loud party, music, loose dog, barking dog, underage drinkers, smoking pot, etc, etc....

Mentioned something about users and welfare trash as he was walking to the cruiser..

Lets see... paint the ends of the wood, drill holes in it and put something in that smokes really bad... something about claymore mines cutting them off at the waist.... I think he was serious about painting the wood :)

He did ask if I wanted him to talk to them, I said no, just want to get a report on file. They did see me talking to him for a good 1/2 hour.
I told him I was not that concerned about the firewood, but about the way they are escalating the situation.

Also said I was doing the right things with the fence, waiting for the survey before dismanteling the pond, and using the alley again etc.

Also mentioned to call 911 anytime they have a loud party, music, loose dog, barking dog, underage drinkers, smoking pot, etc, etc....

Mentioned something about users and welfare trash as he was walking to the cruiser..

Looks like the law is on your side. Keep doing things the legal way and you will eventually win out.

Also keep in mind that I've given them plenty of wood (delivered to their stacking area)

Looks like this act of generosity is where it all started. Some people take advantage of generous neighbors, some don't. Sounds like they've become brazen and now see your wood as their wood. "Eh, he's got tons, he won't miss em." While they should be respecting you and being appreciative for the wood you've given them, they're instead using you and not taking into consideration the hard work you put into harvesting and creating all that firewood. You have to make it clear to them just how much work it took to stockpile your wood supply and how important it is that it remains your supply.

Edit: Just read the whole post, wow what a bunch of scumbags.

3fordasho said:
Ok, I have a few more stories to tell about my "wonderfull neighbors" but first I'd like to apologize if anyone is getting really tired of this thread... it is however very theraputic to get this stuff of my chest
Definitely not tired of the thread, it's a great read. Also you sound like an excellent neighbor, I'd be glad to have you as one. Good luck with these lowlifes.

Last edited:
Back