Arboristsite has cost me $$$

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought two (2) grinders I didn't need from fellow A.S. members this week. One is an 'upgrade' to the newer style Italian, self-centering vise. The other, a square grinder, just to play with/learn on.

Oh well, it's all good stuff that keeps it's value, and keeps me out of bars . . . (right?)

Philbert

Philberts new pickup line.....

hey baby, wanna come over and grind with me?

And it continues . . . .

attachment.php

Inspired by this thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/chain-sharpening/114624.htm

Philbert

Bought two (2) grinders I didn't need from fellow A.S. members this week. One is an 'upgrade' to the newer style Italian, self-centering vise. The other, a square grinder, just to play with/learn on.

Oh well, it's all good stuff that keeps it's value, and keeps me out of bars . . . (right?)

Philbert

Square grinder huh?

Where you want me to drop the "practice" chains off?

Zog, follow the link to BobL's thread to see the chainsaw application for the DAF. Also works as a general shop tool.

Square grinder is a 'project'. Will take some love and attention to get it up and running. Then some practice to figure it out and develop some skill with it. Will be happy to run some chains for friends while I'm playing with it.

Philbert

I came here a few years ago lookin for info on a wood splitter...

Then caught some kind of chainsaw disease!

Must of stayed too long? :msp_mellow:

Zog, follow the link to BobL's thread to see the chainsaw application for the DAF. Also works as a general shop tool.

Square grinder is a 'project'. Will take some love and attention to get it up and running. Then some practice to figure it out and develop some skill with it. Will be happy to run some chains for friends while I'm playing with it.

Philbert

synopsis: As the cutters wear short, lower depth gauges even more, and keeping the ramp shape is important...

synopsis: As the cutters wear short, lower depth gauges even more, and keeping the ramp shape is important...

Not quite. According to BobL, it is the angle between the cutter edge and the top of the depth gauge that determines optimum cutting efficiency, rather than a fixed offset. Similar in some ways to the File-O-Plate approach. Your synopsis is close from a quick and dirty standpoint, but the angle thing lets you predict it at the filing bench, rather than from a trial and error approach in the field.

It's a good read if you are into sharpening.

Philbert

Don't know if you can blame it on Arboristsite or not but I just walked in the door with a new playmate for my Husky Rancher. Got what I thought was a decent deal on a Sthil MS250 in near new condition off of Craigs list. Is this how CAD starts? Should I seek treatment immediately? All BS aside you won't find a better site with more information then this one.

yup!! your now caught,.. sorry for you.........:smile2::smile2:

Not quite. According to BobL, it is the angle between the cutter edge and the top of the depth gauge that determines optimum cutting efficiency, rather than a fixed offset. Similar in some ways to the File-O-Plate approach. Your synopsis is close from a quick and dirty standpoint, but the angle thing lets you predict it at the filing bench, rather than from a trial and error approach in the field.

Philbert

Yep, read it, angles, etc. mark I eyeballs here for angle and shape. I might make a jig sometime, but.....

Philbert

Yes... A lot of good cutter info is rolling around these guys that mill's heads...
John T told me he liked a 6 degree angle of cutter engagement...
It got me to thinkin'.. Then BobL started talkin' about cutter wobble...
:dizzy:

Yo philbert!

Try out your new gadget on your powersharp chains, measure a new one if you have it, then a used and powersharpened one. Would be interesting to see the changes as it self sharpens.

Latest posts

Back