I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenndatomu

Hey you woodchucks, quit chucking my wood!
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention...:hmm3grin2orange: I have been on here for awhile now, and have seen threads on "show us your" truck, wood pile, saw, splitter, and whatever. I think its time to see the reason that we all do this firewood thing...your wood fired heater. It seems like quite a few of us have installed new stoves, furnaces, boilers, etc. since last winter. I thought it might be interesting to see what people put in, (new or not) why you chose the unit that you did, maybe a little bit about your setup, installation challenges, or any interesting tidbit, and of course, pics rule! I'll go first. A little history. I started out with a USSC Wondercoal that my buddy gave me for helping him build his new hearth and install his fancy new "picture window" wood stove. Ever heard the saying that "there's no such thing as a free dog"? Well, I quickly found out that wisdom applies to "free" wood burners too! Priced double wall stainless chimney lately? SHEESH! Anyways, ran that setup for a few years until I stumbled across a good deal on a Yukon Big Jack on CL. I installed the BJ thinking I was going to tie it in to my duct work, hook up a thermostat and have myself a bonifide wood fired central heatin system. Turned out, with the way my basement is laid out, house is framed, and existing duct work is run, it was going to be danged near impossible to do what I planned. :msp_thumbdn: In the process of installing the BJ, I realized that it was a real fine quality product and the people at Yukon were very helpful. I was shocked the first time I called them, the very same person that answered the phone was able to help me, none of this press 1, please hold, transfer you to someone who most definitely speaks english as a second language crap! I ran the BJ through last winter using it in a home brew-kinda-modified gravity heat setup, actually worked pretty well. While trying to figure out the best way to hook up the BJ, I discovered that Yukon makes a multifuel furnace, UREKA! This unit solves all my problems! Tear out my old (1940) coal (converted to oil) furnace and put in a Yukon Husky! A wood furnace with oil backup, hooked directly in to my duct work, I can use my main chimney, get rid of the double wall SS stack on the back of the house, perfect! So me went about shoppin for a Husky, thought about a new one, but then found a used one on CL for CHEAP! The guy didn't know what he had, literally, was SCRAP price, cost as much for the fuel to go get it as the cost to buy it, oh, and it came with the optional $1300 gas burner and $350 shaker grates too! :rock: Spent the summer tearing out the old furnace, going over the Husky, you know, firebrick, gaskets, etc. and then installing 'er. Dropped a new double ply stainless flex liner in the chimney, traded labor with my neighbor, who is a tin knocker by trade, to get my custom plenums made and installed. Got 'er wired, plumbed up and fired for the first time a couple weeks ago, I think I'm gonna love this thing! :clap: I'm gonna try this pic posting thing, so hope it works! On a side note, maybe we should all stage a "occupy AS" protest to encourage them to simplify the pic posting process! Sorry if this was hard to read or understand, I know I won't win any writing awards anytime soon! Anyways, now it's your turn, show me yours...:DView attachment 255533View attachment 255534View attachment 255535View attachment 255536 The first pic is the old furnace, then furnace removed, then installing the liner, last, finished product!

Last edited:
Don't blab a big story and not tell us how much you ripped the poor old guy! How much did you steal it for?

Looks dandy! Btw.

Don't blab a big story and not tell us how much you ripped the poor old guy! How much did you steal it for?

Looks dandy! Btw.

Gave the man exactly what he was asking, $250! Considering the condition, and the fact a new one is almost $5k, I didn't have the nuts to even try to talk him down!

Thats a wicked score. You should brag some more, you deserve it.

That looks like oil to me. Didn't you say gas option.

Good eye! Yeah, I bought the correct burner tube for my burner and put it in. Works great! It is nice to have so many options now, wood, or coal, (with or without power) oil, and then, with a relatively simple burner change, NG or LP. :rock: I love it!

Sure does pay to watch craigslist. I've gotten tons of deals over the years.

Yeah, I have found some major scores on CL and Ebay. You have to be patient, wait for the right deal to come along and hope to get to it before someone else. I lost a couple of these Yukons before getting this one, Oh well, this one was by far the best deal! You know what they say, sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

There's a short list of people I ever want to hear those words from, and you are not on it.

There are no men on the list actually.

And Candice Swanepoel is near the top of it.

View attachment 255735View attachment 255736

Here is my vapor fire 100. not done yet. Have the supply ductwork in the truck, should be done by next week. Unless the return ductwork fab takes as long as the supply has.

Thanks for the pic, I was starting to think I wasn't gonna get any participation with my post! I bet you are climbing the walls waiting to try that bad boy! I hear ya on gettin the plenums made, we went without central air all summer waitin on the duct work/plenums. If the "autopilot" from your VF was combined with the Yukon multifuel, I think that would be the FREAKIN ULTIMATE wood furnace! Finally got these dang pics to show up, what a PITA!
255788d1349497173-furnace-etc-014-jpg
255787d1349497173-yukon-94-f150-etc-014-jpg
255786d1349497173-yukon-94-f150-etc-039-jpg
255785d1349497173-landoll-castle-yukon-etc-044-jpg

Last edited:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Not sure if the video will work, but here's a fire from this morning. After getting a coal bed, here's a 3 spilt fire. Draft .04-.05 with the damper closed. Feels good to have a warm home. Here is a crappy pic from my iPod.

I went with an OWB for the ease of it. No fire in the house, (insurance co. likes) no dirt or bugs in the house and load it up once a day and be done. Yes, it uses more wood than a smaller indoor unit but the pluses outweigh the minuses to me. I use on average 13 cord a year.

MVC-020S_7.JPG

I put mine in a building. 3 concrete sidewalls with the block cored with cement and rebar. End is stick framed and screwed togethr in sections so it can be disassembled easily if a boiler change is called for. Cathedral trusses allow unit to be overhead lifted out. A years supply of wood will fit in the building. Wood and ME stay dry when loading which is nice. You can basically get your loading cycle down where it's burnt up and smoke doesn't roll out at you. I did put in a large exhaust fan in the top of the back eave when I built it but rarely use it.

MVC-018S_20.JPG

Blends in with the rest of the buildings and keeps it nice and neat. Big door for filling is tailgate height so you can back right up and unload quickly. I do restack and use a cart that holds a 1/4 cord so it goes quick and saves steps.

MVC-022S_4.JPG

Plumbing is in the house's basement. 'm doing my dhw and heating a 36' X 50' 2 story farm house with full basement and 36' X 50' attached garage with in floor heat. Don't regret anything and love it! especially when I see the fuel oil guy drive by!

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Not sure if the video will work, but here's a fire from this morning. After getting a coal bed, here's a 3 spilt fire. Draft .04-.05 with the damper closed. Feels good to have a warm home. Here is a crappy pic from my iPod.
Sweet! :rock: I agree, it sure is nice having a toasty home, something very satisfying about "free" wood heat! *BONUS* NO GAS BILL! Thanks for the video, I couldn't get it to work, but it may have been my 'puter, I go watch it on Utube.

I went with an OWB for the ease of it. No fire in the house, (insurance co. likes) no dirt or bugs in the house and load it up once a day and be done. Yes, it uses more wood than a smaller indoor unit but the pluses outweigh the minuses to me. I use on average 13 cord a year.

MVC-020S_7.JPG

I put mine in a building. 3 concrete sidewalls with the block cored with cement and rebar. End is stick framed and screwed togethr in sections so it can be disassembled easily if a boiler change is called for. Cathedral trusses allow unit to be overhead lifted out. A years supply of wood will fit in the building. Wood and ME stay dry when loading which is nice. You can basically get your loading cycle down where it's burnt up and smoke doesn't roll out at you. I did put in a large exhaust fan in the top of the back eave when I built it but rarely use it.

MVC-018S_20.JPG

Blends in with the rest of the buildings and keeps it nice and neat. Big door for filling is tailgate height so you can back right up and unload quickly. I do restack and use a cart that holds a 1/4 cord so it goes quick and saves steps.

MVC-022S_4.JPG

Plumbing is in the house's basement. 'm doing my dhw and heating a 36' X 50' 2 story farm house with full basement and 36' X 50' attached garage with in floor heat. Don't regret anything and love it! especially when I see the fuel oil guy drive by!

Awesome setup! You don't mess around do you?! (I seen your splitter build too) Yeah, I know a guy that put an OWB in his garage/barn, makes it nice to store wood, load in the warm, and the heat lost off the boiler is enough heat for the garage 90% of the time. Yup, just smile and wave at the fuel oil man. :msp_thumbsup: I almost feel bad for him, almost. Sure hope he has a wood burner at his house....:D Thanks for the pics!

Last edited:
Awesome setup! You don't mess around do you?! (I seen your splitter build too) Yeah, I know a guy that put an OWB in his garage/barn, makes it nice to store wood, load in the warm, and the heat lost off the boiler is enough heat for the garage 90% of the time. Yup, just smile and wave at the fuel oil man. :msp_thumbsup: I almost feel bad for him, almost. Sure hope he has a wood burner at his house....:D Thanks for the pics!

I plan on staying here so I put some thought into what would work best for my situation. Not having to get up in the middle of the night to feed the stove is another big plus for me. No going back for me as long as I'm physically able to move!

I plan on staying here so I put some thought into what would work best for my situation. Not having to get up in the middle of the night to feed the stove is another big plus for me. No going back for me as long as I'm physically able to move!

+1! I sleep like a bear and if I had to get up during the night I would be a grumpy one too! :laugh: That is another reason I like the Yukon, if wood burns out, hello oil burner, = happy, well rested boy!

Latest posts

Back