I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nobody else?! I'm shocked :msp_ohmy: that there's only 4 of us on here that have a wood burner that they think is worth showing the rest of us. Makes me think all this talk about all your fancy equipment, maybe ya'lls actually running electric saws and burnin rusty barrel stoves! :poke: :laugh:

I will play

My house was built in 1981 by my parents. At that time, my father designed the basement for wood burning purposes by installing this Johnson Energy Systems J6600 wood burning furnace

2012101095060435.jpg

2012101095060500.jpg

and by making the furnace room large enough to hold a fair amount of wood.

2012101095060627.jpg

I could get by with just filling the basement 2 times and that would last and by filling, I mean filling- all my wood racks filled (two large wooden racks plus a small metal rack) plus stacking on the floor and having the pile all the way up into the mouth of the chute. I usually just put a little wood here and there in the basement until the end of December. the last couple years I have had good luck with filling the basement then and having it last the rest of the season. The wood in the picture above is what was left after last year's December "fill". The unusually warm weather left me a fair amount of wood. However, I am already burning this year, which usually doesn't start until several weeks later.

In the last picture, you can see the wood chute. That as well as the door on the right (staircase) lead to the garage. Just back the load into the garage, open the chute, and toss it down.

That furnace is now over 31 years old and is still in really good shape. It has burnt every peice of wood ever put in it with little complaint.

7 years ago my parents divorced and I bought the house off my father once the dust settled.
House is 1672 sq. ft. with full basement and attached garage. I can keep the garage warm by opening that stairway door and the door upstairs.

With the heat from the wood furnace going through the top of the gas furnace, it will heat up the element in the gas furnace and kick that blower on, which really helps, since the blowers on the wood furnace aren't very strong.

The gas furnace is smal but sees little use once the weather hits the 30's.

Thanks for the response TRL WGN 1, nice post! :msp_thumbup: This is exactly what I had in mind when I started this thread, some pics, a little info. Nice setup ya have there, ole dad dun good, huh? Truth be known, I bet there is a ton of people out there with add on furnace setups similar to this. Says a lot for the JES J6600 to be in service and still going strong after all these years! The indoor storage sounds convenient, do you have much trouble with creepy crawler critters coming out of your stacks? How much wood is there when you're "full"?

thanks

yeah, we do get some small critters (my wife hates the wood roaches LOL) but not as many as my last basement house with no wood (over 100 year old farm house with hand dug basement)

I just spray some Raid once in a while.

Yeah, Dad did real good. I would guestimate that I can get about2 1/2 cord if it is crammed full and maybe a little more.

Wood dries out very quickly down there, which is nice. Works good to add moisture back into the house as well, as both furnaces just draw their air off the floor.
Now what isn't so good about that is the dust that the furnaces pick up. I go through several filters a year and the house is always dusty (having 4 people and two Danes living in the house doesn't help with dust either)

warmth wise is spectacular. I have two young children and it never bothers me a bit to keep the house 70+ so they stay warm.

I also have a wood stove out in the main room of the basement but it is mostly just used if we are wanting to heat the basement nice a cozy for some TV watching.

Photo019595001.jpg

the wood furnace is just behind the white wall to the right of the stove.

I am about as surpised at you to the slow responses to this thread. Threads about wood piles and wood haulers have over a 100 pages but noone wants to show their furnace/stoves?

thanks

yeah, we do get some small critters (my wife hates the wood roaches LOL) but not as many as my last basement house with no wood (over 100 year old farm house with hand dug basement)

I just spray some Raid once in a while.

Yeah, Dad did real good. I would guestimate that I can get about2 1/2 cord if it is crammed full and maybe a little more.

Wood dries out very quickly down there, which is nice. Works good to add moisture back into the house as well, as both furnaces just draw their air off the floor.
Now what isn't so good about that is the dust that the furnaces pick up. I go through several filters a year and the house is always dusty (having 4 people and two Danes living in the house doesn't help with dust either)

warmth wise is spectacular. I have two young children and it never bothers me a bit to keep the house 70+ so they stay warm.

I also have a wood stove out in the main room of the basement but it is mostly just used if we are wanting to heat the basement nice a cozy for some TV watching.

Photo019595001.jpg

the wood furnace is just behind the white wall to the right of the stove.

I am about as surpised at you to the slow responses to this thread. Threads about wood piles and wood haulers have over a 100 pages but noone wants to show their furnace/stoves?
Ahh, holding out on us, huh?! Gotcha 2 wood gobblers! :D The stove looks like a real beast, I bet that'll keep the wife n kiddies toasty! I'd love to keep a few day supply in the house too, but hate the bugs, so far have to keep it to a 24 hr supply. I thought about keeping a pile in the attached garage, just haven't worked out the logistics of that yet, and like you said, the accelerated drying of the wood and the extra moisture is nice if it's in the house. Careful an errant spark don't set your pile ablazin, hate to see that happen! Someone else has a thread on here right now that lost his wood shed and wood supply that way! Do your danes like to lay in front of the fire? There was a thread a year or so ago where everybody was showin pics of their pups (n cats) curled up in front of the fire, it was a fun read. I hear ya on the slow response here, wassup?! What's wrong guys, woodhauler, splitter, n saw p#rn do it for ya, but stove pics don't getcha "hot"?! :msp_biggrin: :hmm3grin2orange:

the Danes will lay in front of the fire but they much prefer a spot on the couch

20120916_212700.jpg

As for setting my pile ablaze, it is always a concern, however the wood is over 8' (can't tell from the pictures) from the furnace and the furnace room has a sprinkler system. I am considering expanding the sprinkler system to the entire basement as well

the stove works very well. In the pic I have the screen front on which is nice to look at but allows all the heat to got straight up the chimney. It also has a solid steel front that goes one when I want it to put out heat. It has an air chamber around the fire box and a fan on the back. Hard to see in the crappy pic but it has vents on the side and top where the hot air blows out and an air supply below the door to feed the fire when the door is on.

A sprinkler system?!! NICE! Impressive! Give dad a big attaboy, he thought of everything! Hmmm, that get's me to thinkin... Good lookin pups ya got there! The leather coach is their spot, huh? Guess pups is like people, some like it hot, some not.

yeah, can't be too careful.
Was just talking this weekend with a good friend who runs a local Sprinkler installation company. need to do a full test on my system for peice of mind.

Thanks on the dogs. The Brindle (black and tan one) is actually a pup. he won't be a year old until the end of January. He is the pup of the Harlequin (black and white one). that picture is at least a month old. he is now taller than his mom but not as filled out yet. Mom is three. yeah, they prefer the couch or my leather chair to any other spot. They seem to like the leather LOL

I was wondering if there would be maintenance on a residential system, i know there is for commercial. I assume it's a "wet" system? Having a sprinkler system qualify you for an insurance discount?

I was wondering if there would be maintenance on a residential system, i know there is for commercial. I assume it's a "wet" system? Having a sprinkler system qualify you for an insurance discount?

don't know about a discount but I know that the sprinkler system combined with other safeguards such as fire proof walls around the furnace and brick below and behind the stove made it possible for me to get insurance (they sent an inspector out before issuing my policy). If memory serves me I have to pay something like a $90 a year surcharge for having the wood burners and it may be less.
well worth it to me

don't know about a discount but I know that the sprinkler system combined with other safeguards such as fire proof walls around the furnace and brick below and behind the stove made it possible for me to get insurance (they sent an inspector out before issuing my policy). If memory serves me I have to pay something like a $90 a year surcharge for having the wood burners and it may be less.
well worth it to me

Alright, here goes one last shameless try at gettin sum wood burner pics put up here. If you don't like your current setup, how bout what would you have if you could afford it and why? (and by "afford it" I mean reasonably, not goin all Donald Trump style on us :laugh:)

Picture of my stove with the steel front on
Had it going the last couple evenings while the family and I were hanging out in the basement.
Makes the basement nice and toasty in no time

20121016_055522.jpg

I do not have a burner in the house yet but i have 2 garages in the back yard 1 is 24 x48 with a 14 x 24 room of the side where the wood burner in the pic is i use this garage for heated storage. The other garage is 24 x 36 that i use as a workshop it also has a wood burner in it i will try and get some pics of that one tomorrow.

Picture of my stove with the steel front on
Had it going the last couple evenings while the family and I were hanging out in the basement.
Makes the basement nice and toasty in no time

20121016_055522.jpg

"Cool" stove, looks like a unique piece. :rock: Sounds like a good time, hangin with the fam in your toasty den! Thanks for the pic!

I do not have a burner in the house yet but i have 2 garages in the back yard 1 is 24 x48 with a 14 x 24 room of the side where the wood burner in the pic is i use this garage for heated storage. The other garage is 24 x 36 that i use as a workshop it also has a wood burner in it i will try and get some pics of that one tomorrow.

Some good lookin stacks there! Must not have dogs, I don't think they'd be takin to kindly to the saws being in their spot by the stove! :D

Here is the wood burner in the 24x36 garage.

Back