ArborMaster Training

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchausen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Folks,

I've signed up to take ArborMaster's 4-day course October 8-11 on climbing skills, precision felling, chainsaw handling, safety and maintenance. It's being presented in the Atlanta area.

If anyone has taken ANY of ArborMaster's courses, especially this one, please tell me when, where and what you thought about the course(s).

I'd be grateful for any and all comments and your suggestions for getting the most out of the program.

And by the way, is anyone else taking the courses I've signed up for?

Took both those courses about 4 years ago, the felling/chainsaw
is very good notches/,backcuts etc. The climbing course was too much talk, and not enough action. You won't learn to climb with just that course, its not long enough, but if your climbing already it will introduce you various climbing meathods. You will learn quite a bit from the other people who are there too. Its worth the money.

ArborMaster's climbing course

Dear Lync and Dan,

I appreciate ya'll's input.

In answer to Dan's questions, I have "The tree climbers Companion," "On Rope" and several books on knots. I'm unfamiliar with Dent's book on felling and Blairs' "Arborist Tools" costs too much to suit me. (However, paying right at $700 for a climbing course is probably being pound foolish and penny wise.)

I have G.F. Beranek's "The Fundamentals of General Tree Work," "The Good Woodcutter's Guide," by Dave Johnson and the new and revised ANSI Z133.1-2000.

That being said, I'm beginning to have doubts about having spent so much money on a course that, as described by Lync, was "too much talk and not enough action." My goal in taking the course is to actually learn and use and practice new climbing techniques.

I'm going to raise these concerns directly with ArborMaster and see if the curriculum is still long on talk and short on action. I'll let ya'll know.

In the meantime, are there other courses that ya'll may know about that would accomplish what I want to accomplish?

just finished the first climbing skills course, for me it was very good. i don't climb, but i have a understanding of whats going on. i figured it is best to learn right from the start instead of picking up someone else's bad habits.

i would have liked to have more time in the tree during the course, but the way i look at it, i am around trees 5-6 days a week, surely i can find one to climb. i am looking forward to taking the precision felling course next year.

the course is pricey, but average it out, say you learn something new that saves you 30 minutes a day and is safe. it'll take somewhere between 10 to 20 days to pay for the course, but then agian, you loose 4 days of work, so it will take a little longer to pay out, but i believe it will for me, you may be different.

the plus is that you should get a discount from sherrill at the end of the class.

Michael

Sherill discount?

I heard about that, too. Problem is, after spending all that dough on the course, I don't think I'll have any left over to take advantage of ANY discounts.

Oh well.

Back