Arborwear or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe’Bronco

Reaction score
So I’m fairly new to the chainsaw world. Been in construction my whole life. PPE and safety have always #1…. Except when it came to using a chainsaw. I think I’ve put on a pair of chaps once, just a cheap Home Depot pair. I’ve logged about 100 or so hours behind a saw. Looking through the treads here screams that I’ve been an idiot the entire time. Some of these injuries are no joke. More recently I’ve been getting behind the chain, clearing some property that has been neglected. I have about 80 acres of HEAVY Forrest that we are thinning. If I have an “incident” I’m at least an hour from anyone. I gotta avoid getting my face/leg posted here or I may not walk away.

I’ve got a work connection to Arborwear and I get 30% off. The chaps they have look like all the others I see.

my big questions are -
1. Are they reputable?
2. Are arborist pants BETTER than chaps? Or the same?
3. What’s the best for a non-daily worn pair

Pants if you are cutting for a long period of time. Chaps if they are going to be on and off during the day (only using the saw for short stretches...).

Their chaps probably aren't any better than others from what I can tell...but at 30% off, probably worth buying. I prefer Labonville chaps. Their pants are pretty nice, but I don't own a pair - couldn't pull the trigger on the price. I bought Solidur pants from Bartlett for $100. I'm pretty happy with those. However, ArborWear had a new pair of chainsaw pants on display at a tradeshow a couple of weeks ago. Could hardly tell they were chainsaw pants they were so thin/light. I assume they will still meet ANSI standards? If I were buying now, I might be tempted to hold out for those (or at least call them to ask how long until they are available). I see a lot of love for Clogger Zeros (probably moreso than Arborwear's Ironwood pants).

At any rate....glad you are making the switch to leg protection.
By this chart, somewhere close to 80% of chainsaw injuries could be prevented by:
1) Wearing leg protection
2) Keeping both hands on the saw

chainsaw-injury-statistics.jpg

Since your resurrected an year-old thread:
I haven't worn, but have looked at on the shelf (and read lots of positive reviews) for Arborwear's Dogwood pants. They are super light weight... My understanding is that the Ironwood and Dogwood have the same chainsaw protection in them, but the ironwood pants are made out of a heavier fabric and have more "features" (pockets, vent zippers, etc...).

Since your resurrected an year-old thread:
:laugh: I keep forgetting it’s not 2022 anymore!
My understanding is that the Ironwood and Dogwood have the same chainsaw protection in them
So, that’s kind of incredible to me. I always assumed the dogwood had less protection, impressive. I have the ironwood pants, and they have held up really well. I find don’t find the heavier fabric interfering especially because I only need to wear them in the dormant season. (As I’m handling plant health care summer/spring)

I haven’t worn the dogwood pant myself, but the climbers especially like them. and I wouldn’t want to go through a hot summer without them.

I guess at the end of the day, even though they are rated the same, the heavier pants feel like the more reassuring option.

That being said, the solidur pants are too heavy. The ironwoods are a good middle ground for me.

Latest posts

Back