Are flippy caps prone to leaking?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anybody else had a problem with flippy caps leaking? I went to use my Stihl MS441RCM and when I picked it up, there was a rather large puddle of bar oil underneath the saw. After further investigating, it looks like it is coming from around the cap itself. I cleaned around the cap real good and it has seemed to stop for now unless it is coming from somewhere else. I looked at the o-ring and it looked fine.

Now this saw hasn't been used in a while so it is like the oil is there from being used.

I put a set of Husky flippy caps on my 359 and they work really well. Seems like they seal up without having to tighten with a lot of pressure. No leakage and easier to open. JMHO

I've learned with my flippy caps, that I can't force them on like I do my screw on caps. They'll leak most every time. I don't really like being patient, and aligning the cap with deft fingers, but that's the only way I can get them to seal properly.

Is this thread a TRAP???

Flippy caps are Stihl's answer to something that wasn't a problem. Common sense would dictate a threaded cap that is leakproof because of an o ring and can be put tightened with the fingers certainly needs to be redesigned into something that is much more expensive and will pour bar oil or fuel all over you if you get it wrong.

Flippy caps are an aptitude test built into your saw...if you can't operate the fluid containers you shouldn't be messing with something with 5' or 6' of razor sharp teeth moving at 100 mph..;)

Just an amazing retort. Are you a College Proffessor?

Let me clear something up. I am not talking about the cap coming completely off because of not installing it right. The cap seems to have seated properly but maybe a bad o-ring is to blame.

And I am not 100% sure that is where the leak is coming from. After I filled it up and put the cap back on, I could see a little oil running down from the cap but that could have been the excess oil from filling it up.

If is not the cap at all, any ideas where it could be coming from? If it is not the cap and something more serious, then I will take it in to the local shop for warranty work.

Is this thread a TRAP???

Flippy caps are Stihl's answer to something that wasn't a problem. Common sense would dictate a threaded cap that is leakproof because of an o ring and can be put tightened with the fingers certainly needs to be redesigned into something that is much more expensive and will pour bar oil or fuel all over you if you get it wrong.

I acquired an older Mac not too long ago. There's no o-ring on that thing, and it's far-and-above my favorite cap. Easy on, easy off, no leakage.

I've not had a problem with my flippy (yet), but the o-ring caps tend to get too tight too easily so they're hard to get back off again.

STIHL, HUSKY, and every other brand, Listen up! Go back and see how McCullough did it and learn!!

It's broken replace it !!! Had the same problem on my ms 250, started leaking and after a fee months it simply broke !!
So just replace it !!

Sawdust gets in the o-ring and can cause a leak. Remove the cap from the saw, remove the o-ring from the cap and swish them both around in a jar of fuel mix. Remove parts from jar, blow off with compressed air and re-install.

If the o-ring is deformed too much, just replace it.

Back