Are these good woods to burn?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vibes

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm cutting wood at a guys house and I can only get to the stuff thats close to the driveway. There is a big sassafrass and a tree he calls butternut. I will burn pretty much anything because free wood is pretty hard to get around here. Are they worth cutting? He says they aren't worth cutting, but he says anything that isn't straight or has a knot in it is garbage wood. Whats your opinion.

Butternut

Butternut is a type of Maple tree dude. Its not quite hard maple and not quite soft maple. It's pretty good as far as btu, better than a white birch, prolly about the same as a yellow birch. Get it if you can dude. Even better that it's free. It IS a hardwood. If it's in good log lengths mill it to boards, BEAUTIFUL wood dude...

:cheers:

No ****

I believe Butternut is probably referring to a hickory. Check out the photos at the link below and see if that's what you've got.

http://www.fw.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=31

Well I'll be... I had always thought it was a type of Maple... Very interesting Tree. It's beautiful wood for sure. That pic is what is here that I know of. The only difference is the bark on the ones I've cut is not Gray, it's more of a beige or brown I'd guess you'd say... Good link info dude...

:cheers:

Butternut (Juglans cinerea) is also known as White Walnut.

It is a poor-to-fair firewood, with a BTU/cord rating equal to Eastern White Pine, Spruce, Willow.

I'd pass...

I'll check that tree tomorrow. It doesn't look like that. The bark texture is similar but I think its a differant color. Its dead so mabe that has something to do with it. We have trees around here that have nuts like that that we call beechnut.

Latest posts

Back