Articulating machine center pins , shims and bushings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Terex flexes at the center pin ! Alot . The book says I need a crane and take the machine in half to work on the pins or shims .

What do you skiddder loggers do . How often do center pins wear out .??

My machines get greased everyday before startup ....... so far I have not had to fix anything and with the exception of the 518 CAT that has some weirdo center section, all of them are tight.

At our machine shop we have rebuild the center sections some wheel loaders, but we had a huge A frame crane that we blocked up one side and then lift and moved the back from the front, used a hilift jack to separate a little bit and then a forklift to move farther away.

You could do it with another wheel loader, just bend the machine and drive in from the open side.

Or just weld up a little dolly for the "moving" side, two stout wheels/casters and from metal frame work to hold the center section up while you pulled it apart.

Depending on abuse, pins can go upwards of 10,000 hours +/- 1,000's of hour's.

Sam

Since the pins have to be taken out while the machine is together , can I just leave the machine together and do them 1 at a time ?

That's what I did on my Timberjack. Supported both halves put a jack between the top and bottom pins pushed the bottom out replaced it and did the same for the top. I did it in my shop on a cement floor and had the machine turned to one side so the jack wood clear the driveshafts.

Ok . Great . It is looking like I have a problem with 1 of my main lifting cylinders . Getting lots of leakage but
IMG_20120125_133606-1.jpg
the ram is inside the structure of the front end loader cast frame . Almost as hard to describe as it is to see .

It is the inside the yellow structure aft of the front tire .
What does it take to repack a hyd cylinder ?

Ok . Great . It is looking like I have a problem with 1 of my main lifting cylinders . Getting lots of leakage but
IMG_20120125_133606-1.jpg
the ram is inside the structure of the front end loader cast frame . Almost as hard to describe as it is to see .

It is the inside the yellow structure aft of the front tire .
What does it take to repack a hyd cylinder ?

Cylinders are really not that hard to deal with. Usually there is a nut that either uses a large wrench or spanner type of wrench on the end of the cylinder once you get this loose and that can be exciting at times, heat may be necessary and should be on hand.

Then you will need to actually get the rod out of the cylinder, in theory this rod should just easily push out .......................... in theory. You could either take it apart in a very large vice that is holding onto the cylinder about mid way down or leave it in the machine with the bucket supported up with a chain or lock out device. In order to get the rod out of the cylinder it should just slip out, problem is, that is somewhat rare, we usually put them in a large vice and use air pressure to blow the rod out of the cylinder into a barrel or something ............ I have seen the rods blow out and almost go through walls, so be careful if you use this method .............could pull them apart with a chain hoist too, in the field you could have the machine blow it out itself, all methods are messy to some degree.

After that its pretty easy. There are just a few O-Rings and V seals, make sure you keep track of how the V seals are pointed, as they only work one way. You obviously have a camera, so take pics of the assembly before you remove the rings/seals. Either order a repacking kit from a dealer or measure each item and call a company with the measurements. I can get the kits for my CAT 910 for about $110 each, but there is a hydro shop that I can get everything the exact same for about $14 if I remember right and that was everything. I assume you are far from everything so a proper kit might be cheaper in the long run as mistakes could be made with individual items and measurements.

In summary, if you can get the nut off of the end, do this in the machine if you don't have a good huge vice to hold that cylinder and then the next hardest thing is getting the rod out of the cylinder (might be easy might be hard). You could do all of this in the machine by unbolting the upper part of the cylinder and letting it hang down while leaving the other side attached, but you have to support the loader arm because it will fall down after you blow the arm out of the other side. Use the machine to push the cylinder out ............ gently ................ you will loose some oil so be prepare for that event however your morals dictate.

If someone will just charge you parts and $100-150 to do this in a shop, thats the route I would go, the problem is around here most every shop will charge you $800-900 to do this and it takes longer to order the seals/kit than to do that whole job (if you are set up to do it), so however the economics work out for you.

Hope that helps,

Sam

Since the pins have to be taken out while the machine is together , can I just leave the machine together and do them 1 at a time ?

Oh yes, if just replacing the pins, but if you have to get at the bushings too, then sometimes you have to be prepare to get at them with the machine separated or you might have to cut them out and weld in new ones ........ if its just a pin replace the just block it in place and do pins only.

Sam

Wow . Thanks Sam . . This morning I dumped in 10 gal. Hyd fluid. 108$ . Fired up the loader + headed off the landing . I happened to look at the top of the ram and fluid was pooling up on top of it . I hsd a customer on the way so haf to get a load out . While pushing in to skid road O could see fluid sguirting out the top of the cylinder . These Terex cylinders have 3 ,9/16 head bolts that hold the top of the packing on .
IMG_20120404_122443.jpg

.view from cab.
IMG_20120404_122619.jpg

IMG_20120404_122746.jpg

I hope I don't loose this smart phone . Sure is handy .

So I think If I set the bucket on the deck of my Duce+ half it will be high enough to get at the top of the ram . I was told I can take out the 3 bolts and the top will slide up the ram . Then I can get at the packing ect.

Yes, that is correct, make sure your bucket it as high as you can get it comfortably so its out of the way and something big under it. Brace the loader arms themselves not just the bucket, because the bucket could flip and everything fall down.

I think you will be fine. If you work on the cylinder still attached to the loader and not on a bench, you won't need a big vice to hold it, so it might be a lot easier for you to handle it.

Hydro leaks, like poor fuel mileage are very expensive in the long run.

Have fun.

Sam

I'm glad my breakdowns only come 1 or 2 at a time . Glad I already know how t cut timber . I can't imagine having t learn all this stuff at once . .

Thanks for the lesson . I'll keep everyone posted . Maybe someone like me out there will learn some stuff that will make their lives easier .

Make sure the rod has no significant dings or scratches. Imperfections will damage the new seal set.

Well I tore into it today . Only lost a couple drops of oil this cylinder is different than any of the 3 in the manual .
IMG_20120404_162351.jpg

this is how I left it last night so to be sure all the pressure off.
IMG_20120405_150648.jpg

This is what I found today . The single rubber O ring was tore apart . The good thing is I don't have to pull the top pin on the ram . The O ring comes by the foot and I just need to cut it to length and Super glue it together in the groove . . Only problem is there is none in Glennallen so it's a 400+ mile round trip .

Oh, as a whole I guess nothing.
I had a bad experience with one of their new machines last year (mostly with a new dealer).
Just saying the word Terex leaves a bad taste in my mouth for an hour or so. :laugh:

Andy

I hope it last forever for ya too Tramp, but you know you've got 2 strikes against that happening.
One....It's a Terex.
Two....Nothing last forever in the woods.

Andy

Oh, as a whole I guess nothing.
I had a bad experience with one of their new machines last year (mostly with a new dealer).
Just saying the word Terex leaves a bad taste in my mouth for an hour or so. :laugh:

Andy

Did it have a Screamin Jimmy in it . They can say what they want , but the old guy wad built when I was 13 years old . 38 years ago .
No , it may not be modern , but dirt , snow and trees arn't too modern either .

Did it have a screamin

Last edited:
Did it have a Screamin Jimmy in it . They can say what they want , but the old guy wad built when I was 13 years old . 38 years ago .
No , it may not be modern , but dirt , snow and trees arn't too modern either .

Did it have a screamin

No, it had a "Perkapillar" in it. One of their new & improved PT100G forestry machines. I owned that machine for a total of 150 days, 60 of which it sat in their shop.

Andy

Back