AS member OTG grilled by media

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just don't agree with the fact folks can't trim or remove their own trees.just part of life in the concrete jungle i suppose.

is this the 'question' you are referring to? Because if it is, I don't know where its coming from. OF COURSE people are allowed to do whatever they wish with their own trees.

Trees did appear lions tailed imo. Would not more careful reduction and crown cleaning eliminate more hazards and suit a more long term approach? OTG you did great in the interview imo but the trim pics speak lions tailing and I do understand you did not do this trimming, just must be heck to put your name on others work sometimes ehhhh?

is this the 'question' you are referring to? Because if it is, I don't know where its coming from. OF COURSE people are allowed to do whatever they wish with their own trees.

What I don't think Fishercat realizes is that there are trees between the sidewalk and the street. These trees are usually planted by the city, therefore owned and maintained by the city. The people may do whatever they want to with the trees in their yard, but if it is one of the trees on the tree lawn owned and maintained by the city, they are not supposed to touch it. Does that sound right?

The first few pics you see are of an unfinished tree. those "lion tailed" branches were supposed to come off to get the clearances..but the homeowner came out screaming at my crew .. also alot of the trees that we are pruning in east boston are "damaged goods" (soil compaction,girlded roots,previous power company pruning,hit by trucks,construction damage, homeowner stubbing,insect infestations and non ideal conditions). We are tryin to make the trees as aesthetically pleasing as possible but sometimes it just cant happen.

yes timberjack those are the trees in question all sidewalk trees with houses 5 feet behind them and main city streets 5 feet in front of them surrounded by untility wires,street lights and street signs

and i was puttin together a list of goodies i need with the next sherrill order... gettin some bee line eye to eyes, a throwline bag, a rope bag,2 of those friction saver sleeves, big shot,new silky hand saw and some double sheaved pulleys to set up a nice come along..... i think they will be a nice addition to my ergovation and 200t :clap:

no harm.

i thought someone mentioned in a post somewhere that you couldn't do anything to your own trees in certain areas.

i thought they mentioned it on Ask This Old House.

Those trees were not pollarded, which I would have preferred to what was done.

Dave

So let me get this straight.

Trees that were not previously pruned and some gone say 25 years without much pruning if any at all you would have totally defoliated by pollarding, and committed the cities tree services to annual or bi-annual repeated pollarding or long term management of the sprouts.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Dmc lives in western montana he hasnt seen the trees in person or read all the posts on this topic.. hes going by what he saw on that news clip... he didnt prune the tree or trees seen therefore he doesnt know what kind of shape the trees were in or what branches had to come off for necessary clearance pollarding would not be better! although i have seen some nice pollarding work

Dmc lives in western montana he hasnt seen the trees in person or read all the posts on this topic.. hes going by what he saw on that news clip... he didnt prune the tree or trees seen therefore he doesnt know what kind of shape the trees were in or what branches had to come off for necessary clearance pollarding would not be better! although i have seen some nice pollarding work

Thanks, Irish. That post (of mine) definitely seems to have come out of left field. I wasn't recommending that those trees be pollarded as stating that they WEREN'T pollarded. Something I had thought I had read in one of the earlier posts. Evidently not.

Dave

Back