Ash bugs/borers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan F

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My boss has an ash tree (~8-10" dbh) in their yard that in the last week has started loosing leaves on about 1/2 of the tree. Upon closer examination, it looks as if there have been borers at work.

The insects in the borer holes (whether they were the adults or other adventitious bugs, I don't know) were black, ~1/4" long, and had 4 irregular yellowish spots on the top of the abdomen. Are these the culprits? There were also ants crawling all over, but it seemed like there were more holes than there should have been for the amount of ants, if they were even carpenter ants...

What should be applied? Whatever it is, it needs to be done much sooner than later!

Dan

You may get some good ideas here.

But in the mean time, www.google.com brings up good sites if the right search terms are entered.

Even recently, we used it to find out why the HP digital camera we bought last summer, would not work with the new Windows XP that I installed last week.

The first search showed a site that said to use a 32 meg or smaller card in the camera. I had a 64. So we put in the smaller card and it works great.

So if you enter - ash, borer, control, insecticide

or a combination of those, you may have extra info to use with what you get here.

Latest posts

Back