Asian Longhorn beetle stronger in MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moestavrn

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just saw on the 5pm news Asian Longhorn spread in wocester and is being quarentined in a bigger area now, something like 62% of its original quarntined area is now diseased, as opposed to the 33% of that area, which means they are spreading quick. Also there were some limbs that were found in Shrewsbury with it to. Sorry for not more information, it was kinda a quick thing, and I just remembered now....

It seems like its being taken lightly.
Ill check the paper in the AM, but treating trees in infested areas is a half measure. Sad as it is we need to go annihalate.

And you know larvae have made it farther than is known inside firewood.

I still wanna see one of the buggers. When wood is pieced // bombed down and it bounces off each toher.. especially with maples the bark is chipped in a small spot. I keep mistaking where pieces hit for oviposition marks. Its all getting run through the chipper regardless, but I just feel we're at the tip of the iceberg.

WORCESTER— Newly discovered signs of the Asian longhorned beetle in the Franklin Street/Brown Square and Mill Street/June Street neighborhoods have prompted the state Department of Conservation and Recreation to expand the regulated area to include the entire city, officials said this afternoon.

A small southwestern section of Shrewsbury also was added to the regulated area, which now encompasses around 62 square miles, City Manager Michael V. O’Brien said this afternoon. Residents and businesses within the regulated area cannot transport tree limbs out of the area.

Full story at: http://www.telegram.com/article/20080929/ALERT01/809290259 (That should be free for two weeks before it goes to their pay-per-view archive)

IIRC Worcester is 40 square miles, so rest of the area would be in the adjacent suburbs. I can't even fathom what the city will look like if they impose the scorched earth plan and take down all the hardwoods within 1/4 mile of a confirmed infestation...or the amount of work that will entail.

Even though Worcester's the second largest city in New England, it has a *far* smaller suburban area then other big cities in New England...it goes from cities to large, solid tracks of woods within may 1/2 a heavily developed suburban town in between to the north, west, and south. If these suckers get out of the suburban ring, it's gonna be WWIII to stop them.

Guess this means I need to keep my pickup truck bed clean of debris when I go into the office or my sister's house, at least during warm weather.

Last edited:
In reading some of the reports it certainly doesn't sound like they are taking this situation lightly.

The original regulated area was 33 sq miles and has been increased to 61.9 sq miles after the confirmation of 6 more infested trees in specific areas southeast and southwest of the original quarantine area.

With this discovery it appears that the protocol for Worcester in their ALB Eradication activity is 1) Survey and establish the facts of where infested trees are; 2) Removal of infested trees (which to date is approx 1265 infested trees) (there are estimates that this bug has been in this area for approx 5 years) and 3) Treat host trees within a specific distance to infested trees within the regulated area.

The info sheet from the City of Worcester stated that regulations are in effect to prohibit removal of any natural wood products/materials. And furthermore that removal of infested trees will be performed by specified companies at no charge to the homeowner with a replacement tree being replanted. The removals are slated to start after the first heavy frost.

A history of the other areas that have experienced this invasive pest show that New York removed 6000 trees, Chicago 1,550 and New Jersey a whopping 23,000! Chicago's approach was to remove infested trees and treat host trees within 1/8 to 1/2 mile radius (they have just been declared ALB free).

New Jersey went with the approach of "throwing the baby out with the bath water" and removed even healthy trees within 1/8 to 1/4 m rad of infested trees.

I believe Chicago has shown that this pest can be controlled through reasonable and sane tactics.

I am glad to see that Worcester, Mass, is also considering this alternative for eradication of the pest rather than full scale annihilation of the host. It seems to me that if we go about removing all the trees in order to do away with the bug, there is no difference. What did we gain?

This bug probably will never be totally gone. We are not going to close our borders which then always has the possibility of reintroduction. This is the price of global accessibility.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this particular insect is a fairly slow moving one in that it prefers to stay on its host tree. This is why removal of infested trees is effective.

Sylvia

Anyone know where I could get one of the beetles? I have a bunch of bugs and beetles, that i've dipped in polyeurithane to have as a collection of pests we see in our industry. If anyone can think of where I could get one, or a variety of different beetles, or bugs, let me know. I know it sounds weird, but the ALB is a cool lookin bug...

Anyone know where I could get one of the beetles? I have a bunch of bugs and beetles, that i've dipped in polyeurithane to have as a collection of pests we see in our industry. If anyone can think of where I could get one, or a variety of different beetles, or bugs, let me know. I know it sounds weird, but the ALB is a cool lookin bug...

Try USDA APHIS. I got a few Emerald Ash Borers from them, in a vial of alcohol. I have a little collection of forest pests to show people and 4-H kids when they come by the office.

I think that I have been seeing these buggers down my way. I understand that they came over in some wooden shipping crates from China.

Apparently now the beetle has been transported to Connecticut by way of a 1/2 cord of firewood. Good luck!

Looking at the news online, it was a 1/2 cord to Cranston, RI that "only" had larvae in the wood; no evidence, at least reported, that they had spread to trees there.

Latest I've read is they're figuring the infestation in Worcester has been going on for 8-10 years. So there's been plenty of opportunities to spread.

Worries me a bit because I work in Worcester and it's suburbs for many years, and I'm still up at there a lot. Looking around my property, the two predominant species are Swamp Maple (most of the shade trees around my house!) and Ash. And Emerald Ash Borer are already turning the Ashes into firewood. I had my two Sycamores die of unknown causes a few years back, and we won't mention I also have Hemlocks...

WORCESTER— The discovery of more trees infested with the Asian longhorned beetle and the unprecedented severity of infestation has officials considering chopping down as many as 20,000 infested and susceptible trees within a 2-square-mile section of the Burncoat and Greendale sections of the city.

After a briefing with area officials at City Hall yesterday, Christine Markham, an official with the U. S. Department of Agriculture, said the recommendation of that agency is to remove the infested trees, as well as the exposed susceptible, or host trees. City officials, however, would like to see removal of any trees not infested done on a case-by-case basis.

“We’re talking about a total of 15,000 to 20,000 trees coming down inclusively of the infested. That’s what we’re considering because what we’re seeing is a checkerboard pattern where there are heavily infested trees in that area with 100-plus exit holes in a tree,” said Ms. Markham, director of the USDA’s National Longhorned Beetle Program. When a tree is over-infested, the beetle will move to another tree.

Overall quarantine has expanded slightly to 63 square miles.

http://www.telegram.com/article/20081203/NEWS/812030673/1116

Do yourselves a favor and get your information from APHIS directly. The press loves to twist turn facts to sell papers.

Last edited:
I read in the Boston Globe last week that two or three tree service companies got pulled over (and fined??) for hauling unchipped wood out of the quarantine zone. I wonder how many more companies they missed? My impression (living 6 miles from Worcester) is that this whole situation is being taken very seriously.

I read in the Boston Globe last week that two or three tree service companies got pulled over (and fined??) for hauling unchipped wood out of the quarantine zone. I wonder how many more companies they missed? My impression (living 6 miles from Worcester) is that this whole situation is being taken very seriously.

My take on this is that some screwballs think it would be a great idea to 'help' the beetle move around:dizzy:

Feds put some teeth into the laws to deter this kind of behavior, the guys they caught are looking at jail time....

DESTRUCTIVE BEETLE LEADS TO BILL TOUGHENING PENALTIES: The introduction of the Asian Longhorned Beetle in the Worcester area has Central Massachusetts area residents fearful of de facto death warrants for thousands of trees. On Monday, legislation was introduced in the House that steeply increases fines and establishes of penalty of up to a year in jail for anyone who willfully resists or obstructs government officials engaged in efforts to suppress the Asian Longhorned Beetle, Oak Wilt or other public nuisances. Sen. Harriette Chandler (D-Worcester) said Worcester has been “besieged” by the Asian Longhorned Beetle, which she said arrived here in wooden packing from China, and that constituents are looking for “a way of stopping this destruction that is going on.” Chandler told the News Service the state Department of Conservation and Recreation’s current ability to assess a $25 fine is insufficient in the face of threats posed by the beetle and says her legislation will give the agency regulatory and enforcement powers to “meet this issue and a variety of issues.” The bill, filed with Rep. James O’Day (D-Worcester) and admitted in the House on Monday, specifies a potential civil penalty of up to $25,000. Asked about the prospects of advancing her bill during informal sessions, which are scheduled for the next seven weeks and during which mostly non-controversial bills are considered, Chandler said she was hopeful and that she’d caution lawmakers that their regions could be the next victims of natural predators. “Our whole delegation has signed onto this,” Chandler said. “Central Mass. is deeply affected by this.” The House on Monday referred the beetle bill to the Committee on the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture. 2:53 PM

Latest posts

Back