Aspen 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paduroiul

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have a question for you
Can you tell if a fuel is aspen 2 or not?; it looks the same but the smell differs...

put in your finger, take it out an let it dry.
If the skin looks more pale/white than the skin that has not been dipped in, it's 4T.
If it look more or less the same, it might be due to the 1.6% of oil, that gives a thin film on your finger. :msp_unsure:

Aspen 2 should be the one that is premixed for use in chainsaws etc.

Aspen 4 is not mixed with oil, and is for four cycle engines (lawn mowers etc).

A friend sent me from Germany a 5l can of "aspen 2" by someone, but the can was opened by a guy from a car-wash ( I can't imagine why someone would do this... and he only noticed too late ), it's missing a little but my problem is that I'm not sure if it wasn't mixed or replaced with regular gasoline...; maybe I'm paranoiac but I don't want to damage my saw ...

A friend sent me from Germany a 5l can of "aspen 2" by someone, but the can was opened by a guy from a car-wash ( I can't imagine why someone would do this... and he only noticed too late ), it's missing a little but my problem is that I'm not sure if it wasn't mixed or replaced with regular gasoline...; maybe I'm paranoiac but I don't want to damage my saw ...

if you are not sure what happened to the liquid in an opened bottle, don't use it anymore!

There is no color difference? email aspen and ask them, or get a small bottle of the two stroke mix and open that up, compare two samples in little clear jars.

The jug you have, if you dip some clean paper in it and let it dry, then set it on fire, you should see if any oil is present by how it burns, should be, well, an oily looking black smoke to it a little.

Or, spread some out on a clean dry hard surface, let it evaporate, see if it leaves an oily film.

edit: with all that said, you can always just be safe and burn it in your gas engine 4 stroke lawnmower and be done with it, mix it with some pump gas or you call it petrol I guess. 5 liters is just not that much fuel to worry about.

Last edited:
Aspen 2 is the Only fuel i use, no matter what 2-stroke tool it is. If the saws new, or its frigging hot summer day, i pour Husqvarna XP oil , in to aspens cap, just one, and mix it to to the fuel then.

Do you know that a 5l can of aspen costs me almost a tenth of my monthly salary and they don't even sell it on Romania?

Do you know that a 5l can of aspen costs me almost a tenth of my monthly salary and they don't even sell it on Romania?

Well, OK, I can relate, I am in the lowest you can get income bracket for the US...

So, do the oil tests mentioned above. Oil in there, use it! Maybe try it in a cheap string trimmer first.

Question about Aspen 2
If I have a half full can does it retain its qualities as a sealed can ?
I only use my saw like 2 or 3 times per year, so I don't know if it is a good idea to use Aspen2 because of the long periods of time between usage, and with all the stabilizers and additives in it, I still believe that it degrades in an unsealed, half fuel, half air can.
Am I right?

Question about Aspen 2
If I have a half full can does it retain its qualities as a sealed can ?
I only use my saw like 2 or 3 times per year, so I don't know if it is a good idea to use Aspen2 because of the long periods of time between usage, and with all the stabilizers and additives in it, I still believe that it degrades in an unsealed, half fuel, half air can.
Am I right?

I have never had any problems from doing that - and I have done it often enough.....

So I should continue with Aspen even if I use one ore max two 5 L cans per year and there are periods of over 6 months in which I don't use the saw at all?
If regular gas evaporates or absorbs water, doesn't the gas from the Aspen2 mixture do the same?
At the amount of use I put the saw trough I'm questioning the benefits of Apen; wouldn't fresh regular gas be better than an 8 month old half can of Aspen?

So I should continue with Aspen even if I use one ore max two 5 L cans per year and there are periods of over 6 months in which I don't use the saw at all?
If regular gas evaporates or absorbs water, doesn't the gas from the Aspen2 mixture do the same?
At the amount of use I put the saw trough I'm questioning the benefits of Apen; wouldn't fresh regular gas be better than an 8 month old half can of Aspen?

In a sealed can it isn't going to dilute or degrade much at all. The canned fuel here we can get local called Trufuel claims two years shelf life after opening the can.

Here is Aspen's website with the FAQ

http://www.aspenfuel.co.uk/clean-facts/questions-and-answers/

copy/paste from there

6. Is it true that alkylate petrol keeps much longer than regular petrol?

Yes, that is correct. Aspen alkylate petrol has a lifespan of approximately 10 times that of regular petrol. Aspen has a storage life of 3-5 years compared to 3-5 months of regular petrol . when you choose alkylate petrol for your machines you can safely put them away over winter without emptying the tank, safely knowing that they will start without a problem come spring.

Back