AT flushing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I drop the pan and change the screen on my older vehicles once a year, cheap insurance and you can usually spot a problem before you are SOL on the side of the highway, on newer vehicles you can hook em up to a flush machine and get similar results. I stay away from additives and just opt for a fluid change. On high milers that have not been serviced it is a crapshoot because some builders will tell you that a flush might dislodge particles that might cause problems, never had that happen to me personally but there are enough stories out there that it could have happened.

A tranny flush isn't going to fix, rebuild or overhall a worn-out, high-mileage transmission.

A late friend, the owner of a transmission shop, advised me to drop the pan, drain the fluid, inspect the bottom of the pan for particles of metal and replace the filter once per year. If I do that, I will never have a tranny failure.

Every factory service manual that I've seen recommends normal service only and has no mention of tranny flushing.

Makes me suspicious that auto repair shops, not manufacturers, are recommending tranny flushing.

Last edited:
A tranny flush isn't going to fix, rebuild or overhall a worn-out, high-mileage transmission.

A late friend, the owner of a transmission shop, advised me to drop the pan, drain the fluid, inspect the bottom of the pan for particles of metal and replace the filter once per year. If I do that, I will never have a tranny failure.

Every factory service manual that I've seen recommends normal service only and has no mention of tranny flushing.

Makes me suspicious that auto repair shops, not manufacturers, are recommending tranny flushing.

How many miles on it? Was it ever changed?

How many miles on it? Was it ever changed?

Same thing for auto air conditioning. Repair shops want to charge big bucks to flush the refrigerant, replace the receiver-driver, replace the expansion orifice and add a filter when a failed AC compressor is replaced.

After an AC compressor is replaced, the factory shop manuals for both of my GM vehicles say to fill the compressor with refrigerant oil, evacuate and refill the refrigerant and leave everything else alone. FYI, the receiver-driver has a filter already built into it.

I did my falcon 4.0, when I bought it it had not been done since new so approx 240,000 miles. Gear change was chunky. It took me 20 litres of Ford atf to flush it through to clean fluid, cleaned all the pan and filter. It's been beautiful since

I did my falcon 4.0, when I bought it it had not been done since new so approx 240,000 miles. Gear change was chunky. It took me 20 litres of Ford atf to flush it through to clean fluid, cleaned all the pan and filter. It's been beautiful since

Its much better to service your AT at least once per year so crap doesn't gum up the valve body in the first place.

The Ford Falcoon and Mercury Comet were pieces of crap no matter what was done to them. When you cross a Volvo with a Comet, you get a Vomit. :ices_rofl:

I flush on low mileage cars only, which I dont have any anyway. On an old tranny, that **** in there may be the only thing keeping it going.

Fluid, screen, no flush.

Same thing for auto air conditioning. Repair shops want to charge big bucks to flush the refrigerant, replace the receiver-driver, replace the expansion orifice and add a filter when a failed AC compressor is replaced.

After an AC compressor is replaced, the factory shop manuals for both of my GM vehicles say to fill the compressor with refrigerant oil, evacuate and refill the refrigerant and leave everything else alone. FYI, the receiver-driver has a filter already built into it.

The filter in the drier catches any loose partials in the refrigerant and can clog or come apart with will trash your ac system it's good insurance to change the drier if you have any internal compressor failure or if your system was empty for a while. On another note r134a never goes bad on its own ever!! But it can be contaminated by improper recharging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i change fluid and filter yearly and have never had a problem with any of my truck either auto or manual. flush seems like a good idea but it wont help worn trannys. and plus fluid flushes are very expensive ( well they are here at 140 each!! ) .

Most of that is dictated by the manufacturers otherwise the warrantee is voided.

It all depends on the vehicle. Some are damn near impossible to drop the pan and change the filter. It depends on what year, what fluid, what is the vehicle used for, etc....

I don't know about changing it EVERY year, but I would say every 40,000 - 50,000 miles (which would be 2 years in my case).

I did a lot of research on transmissions and fluid flush/maintenance when I bought my falcon as it was my first auto, I came to the conclusion that manufacturers are either idiots or deliberately mislead customers. Some makers state filled for life with no maintenance which is complete rubbish, my falcon doesn't even have a trans dipstick. A new transmission can get away with just dropping the pan and filter, a second hand with 150,000+ should have the pan off and cleaned, a complete flush till it comes out clean and new filters. There's a lot of fluid in the system especially with a cooler. Mine came out the colour of used engine oil and took 20 litres to come through red. Change the fluid and it'll last, don't and it'll go bang soon enough

Do your research on the specific trans you have. I have a 5R110 automatic and there is no easy way to flush it. No torque converter drain plug. It takes very specific Ford spec fluid and there are horror stories about flush and fluid related failures. I chose to perform the change myself and followed a procedure outlined on a popular website - 21qts of expensive fluid later, a filter, pan clean out and a day of my life later, I was done.

Do your research on the specific trans you have. I have a 5R110 automatic and there is no easy way to flush it. No torque converter drain plug. It takes very specific Ford spec fluid and there are horror stories about flush and fluid related failures. I chose to perform the change myself and followed a procedure outlined on a popular website - 21qts of expensive fluid later, a filter, pan clean out and a day of my life later, I was done.

So everything is Super Duty except for the transmission? ;)

F150 from at least 97 up til about 2003, Ford used the smallest of the 3 trannies. in these. rear bearing is only splash lubricated and the overdrive bands are about 100k life span in combined driving. I think it was the 4r100( not sure on that #) in the larger trucks that 10 cent c-clip would give up and wipe ya out.

Back