AT flushing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F150 from at least 97 up til about 2003, Ford used the smallest of the 3 trannies. in these. rear bearing is only splash lubricated and the overdrive bands are about 100k life span in combined driving. I think it was the 4r100( not sure on that #) in the larger trucks that 10 cent c-clip would give up and wipe ya out.
I have a 97 F150 with over 200K on it.

It all depends on the vehicle. Some are damn near impossible to drop the pan and change the filter. It depends on what year, what fluid, what is the vehicle used for, etc....

I don't know about changing it EVERY year, but I would say every 40,000 - 50,000 miles (which would be 2 years in my case).
new ones are near impossible to cbange....

and also..DO NOT, flush your fluid!!! you will dislodge all metal particles!!! then all this will be floating everywhere!! esp in the valve body!!! just change the filter,,and what fluid it needs....

I had the cherokee flushed at about 100k and have changed it a time, maybe two since then with filter,,clock is ticking 190k plus.
Pulled a cooling line off the dodge, brush busting and pumped a bunch out, did a roadside re-fill of 5 quarts, in the dark at about 10 degrees outside, still wasn't full, had a load of wood on it, got me home. Another 4 quarts later, , it was full again..have changed filter/fluid a couple times since then because I work it pretty hard and once to adjust the reverse band this past fall, which worked wonders!!
I think all fluids break down and need serviced. I am a fan of synthetics.
The flushing deal is supposed to remove tarnishes and sech,,I dunno...

Dodge transmissions typically generate a lot of heat. That is why most of the newer Dodges recommend fluid change every 30,000 miles.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

and also..DO NOT, flush your fluid!!! you will dislodge all metal particles!!! then all this will be floating everywhere!! esp in the valve body!!! just change the filter,,and what fluid it needs....
No flush! I have always did a fluid exchange where the machine has an equalizing chamber of old and new fluid. We dis-connect the cooler line and hook up the machine. Start the engine and it uses the converter to exchange the fluid. Simply run the engine til both lines are same color and then change the filter!!

I have been doing BG transmission flush at work on Chrysler products for years now. We have never seen any problems related to a flush being done. I have seen people come in with the wrong fluid used at other shops. This usually causes a shudder from the torque converter clutch. Older transmissions used more bushings and thrust washers so wear material usually found in the pan and on the magnet. The new trans are mostly all roller type bearings and do not have as much friction or wear. Trans fluids have also improved greatly over the years. I noticed a big difference in wear on the parts when doing overhauls once we went to ATF+4. If a flush kills your tranny it was on its way out already.

Which ones are those?

The 4-speed OD AT used in Dodge Caravans is notorious for failing at about 150K miles. The AT in the 1996 Dodge Caravan that I owned was starting to erratically jump back and forth between gears at 140K miles, so I sold it. IMO, almost everything on that Dodge Caravan was a piece of crap.

Latest posts

Back