At what point did you buy a splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time trying to split elm?

Haha no after putting the owb in and the neighbor (tree service) started dropping off wood that wasn't the dead ash that I have been cutting and splitting.

Well, after having done a lot of research and stalking all the various forums, I've decided the splitter I plan to purchase is a Iron & Oak PTO splitter to mount behind my John Deere 3032E. I've debated the regular towed splitter vs a tractor mounted PTO, and I've decided that for ease of moving it around my 20 acre property, the PTO is going to be a better fit. My local JD dealer can get it for me @ $1899 OTD. For what I've seen for Iron & Oak as well as Timberwolf products, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm buying, going to start shopping this week. I'm leaning towards the Huskee, Swisher or super split

just this passed spring i moved into the house my great-grandfather built, about 85+ yrs old and the primary heat is an older than dirt Sunbeam coal/wood burner. i had no intentions of using coal and i troll CL every day so when i saw a splitter i could afford i jumped on it.

When I started clearing more pasture and had rounds stacked up everywhere - I am in the process now. More important is my neighbor just sold me a bush hog 3 pt for 150.00.:rock: Barn kept since new! He keeps his place so nice to the point if he was selling rocks I would buy them cause theyd be the nicest rocks in this part of the country.

I sell mostly oak, cherry and locust which aren't really all that tough to split with a maul. I'm also 28 and use splitting wood as an excuse not to go to the gym. Also, the 12 cords of wood I split annually is not too tough. I am sure with a splitter I could prob split twice as much and have never had trouble selling out. 180\cord and 100/half. I would come close to making up the amount in extra wood sold after 1 year.

I guess I should turn this thread into what kind of splitter should I get?

Thanks for all your help.

Rep Sent. I did the same thing when I was your age. Now I'm too old to split with a maul and the gym is in the next town so I got me a splitter. It will allow me the extra time for fishing.

My local farm store has a 34 ton Brave with a 9hp B/S Vangaurd. Its marked down $500 to $1499. Price seems good, unit is brand new. Im just not sure about the beam, its not a one piece I-beam but more of a engineered and welded up H-beam. Got to be a few in service and its made by Iron and Oak. Whats you guys thoughts on this thing. Hydraulic tank is part of the axle assembly. Price is looking good compared to my local C/L offerings.

My local farm store has a 34 ton Brave with a 9hp B/S Vangaurd. Its marked down $500 to $1499. Price seems good, unit is brand new. Im just not sure about the beam, its not a one piece I-beam but more of a engineered and welded up H-beam. Got to be a few in service and its made by Iron and Oak. Whats you guys thoughts on this thing. Hydraulic tank is part of the axle assembly. Price is looking good compared to my local C/L offerings.

Are you sure its made by Iron & Oak? Is it this one? 15 second cycle time seems slow. It's up to you, but I'd look for something with a bit faster cycle time.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Here's an Iron & Oak 15 ton with an 8 second cycle time for $999.
Iron and Oak 15 Ton Horizontal Log Splitter | Wood Splitter | Iron & Oak

All I have is a Ryobi 4 ton electric. It's split virtually everything I've thrown at it. Home Depot has them for $299. They let ya try it and if ya don't like it, you can take it back. Had mine for 7 years and split over 50 cords with it.

Don <><
attachment.php

Last edited:
Buy One

Used to split 8-15 cords/year since I was 10. I have a torn rotator cuff and love my splitter. I will own a Super split or a DR.

Are you sure its made by Iron & Oak? Is it this one? 15 second cycle time seems slow. It's up to you, but I'd look for something with a bit faster cycle time.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Here's an Iron & Oak 15 ton with an 8 second cycle time for $999.
Iron and Oak 15 Ton Horizontal Log Splitter | Wood Splitter | Iron & Oak

All I have is a Ryobi 4 ton electric. It's split virtually everything I've thrown at it. Home Depot has them for $299. They let ya try it and if ya don't like it, you can take it back. Had mine for 7 years and split over 50 cords with it.

Don <><
attachment.php

Yes thats it, it does say Iron and Oak on it. I hear ya on the cycle time also, seemed slow

I haven't been convinced....:msp_wink:

Same here. Not knocking them, just that firewooding is my workout and stress relief. Seems sometimes that there are things in my life that I'd really like to hit and break but I can't. Firewood kinda stands in, I guess. I've been doing about five cords a year for a few years, and splitting is not as hard on my back as bucking and loading. If I were suffering from splitting by hand I guess I'd get a splitter, but so far I think it helps more than it hurts.

Bought my tw-6 because it fell in my lap. I was splitting by hand and noodling the ugly stuff. One day I was noodling the ugly pile and realized that if I stood still the authorities wouldn't find me for at least a couple months if I went down. Had more cash budgeted than what the guy was asking so it seemed like a no brainer. He was getting divorced and wanted things to be liquid as soon as possible. It's more machine than I need but Im glad I have it.

Swinging a maul started to bother my shoulders and neck a few years ago, and I figured that might be a good time to retire the monster maul. I lucked up and stumbled across a large home built splitter very reasonably priced. The first day I used it my rear end had bruises on it from me kicking myself for not buying one sooner.

Buying a splitter

If you split and sell firewood. If you have a tractor get a three point about $600.00. No tractor and your going inside to split electric. If your going to split for other people get a gas. As you split and sell you will find your not limited to your wood volume. I have three splitters 20 ton electric. A 20 and 30 three point and never was sorry I bought them. I only sell bundled firewood. I sell on the average a year a rank a week that's all I want to sell. People try to buy my splitters all the time. I tell them when they hear I'm dead talk to my wife. But I'm 71 years old so may be that's the reason I like my splitters,wrappers,tractors,forklift,dump trucks,Pickup truck, and my kiln. They make me happy forgot my chain saws. You get a log splitter you guard it like a baby.

Bought a Brave 22T unit last year.....age (58), 12 cords per year, AND what I was spending on pain relievers and down time with a sore back....made my decision.

Latest posts

Back