Atv hitch.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone buy a better atv hitch for their atv? I have a 2006 honda Forman 500 and the regular hitch always bends down when I pull my firewood trailer. I just bend it back up and use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not an ATV, but my garden tractor has an OEM hitch that is basically a 1/4" thick piece of angle iron that bolts to the rear housing. Like yours, it bends if pulling a heavy trailer. Most of the used hitches I have seen on places like Ebay are also bent. I ended up making one out of 3/8" thick stock. I also made it longer with two holes. One accepts a ball with a 3/4" shank, and the other is a 5/8" hole to pull pin hitch trailers/carts, rollers, etc. I think I have pictures of them side by side.

Some are built better than others. My Yamaha has a cast piece that mounts to the axle. I have never broken mine but my buddy did on his identical ATV and basically had to cobble something together to fit the same mounting holes. I think that is what you would need to do or reinforce the one you have.

Some of the newer ones have an actual receiver style hitch which is nice.

Here are some pictures of my hitch. Both the old OEM ones and the newer heavier ones. Again, I realize ATV's are different, but just for ideas.

The new hitch has handled 3000 lb loads without issue.

The Kawasaki hitch is pretty solid. Not sure how it might help you, but this setup has taken abuse and holds up well for me. Added the three way for flexibility w/ trailer and towing etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 38
My Polaris Sportsman has the dinky receiver hitch on it. Have pulled my 16' fishin boat around with no issues. It has quite a bit of tong weight, it got 24 volt troller on front with 2 batteries towards the front. No issues with it. I did add a rear winch on the ATV a while back and it ties in to the frame and the lower control arm mounts. Mount was made from angle iron and a little cutting, welding and drilling.

The Kawasaki hitch is pretty solid. Not sure how it might help you, but this setup has taken abuse and holds up well for me. Added the three way for flexibility w/ trailer and towing etc.

Yeah that's what I have now with a 2inch receiver. I just bends down every time I load it. I can buy heavy duty hitches for around 100 just wanted to see if anyone made any. I'll post a picture of my set up soon

My Arctic Cat hitch looks a lot like Jeres above - has a bracketed/half-boxed type of construction. Have hauled a lot of heavy loads with it & not had any hitch problems (maybe I should knock on wood). Just a plain tongue doesn't have much resistance to bending. Getting the load balanced is key - you don't want the back of the trailer loaded too much or you will lose rear wheel traction, but you don't want it all on the front either. Hard on hitches, and axles.

Anyone buy a better atv hitch for their atv? I have a 2006 honda Forman 500 and the regular hitch always bends down when I pull my firewood trailer. I just bend it back up and use it again.

I put one on my Rincon. I have loaded it way up and beat the hell out of it several times and never seen any deflection or issues. Let me dig through emails and find you a link.

Here you go:

http://www.atvparthub.com/45040041_...N_Receiver_Hitches_Receiver_Hitch_2_34_Rincon

Is your quad a solid axles? Has the small oem piece with a hole for a ball?

If so ill try to grab some pics of mine. My father made a piece that fit on the old bolt holes and now takes a 2" receiver. The piece he made is strong but the way it mounts to the atv is poor. Most Hondas have the same receiver. Mines a 2007 rancher 420es

Is your quad a solid axles? Has the small oem piece with a hole for a ball?

If so ill try to grab some pics of mine. My father made a piece that fit on the old bolt holes and now takes a 2" receiver. The piece he made is strong but the way it mounts to the atv is poor. Most Hondas have the same receiver. Mines a 2007 rancher 420es

Yeah hear it is. Just the oem one bend anytime I put a load on it.

556395c4120a44aabad2eceab2d8a931.jpg
c069c291897ccc94a9cac9e9ae1d34da.jpg

That's a pretty long lever arm..from where the bolts are on the axle tube to the ball (where the weight is applied). Most of the examples above put the ball just a couple of inches from the bolts. I think that is the biggest problem....although it helps with sharp turns, keeping the tounge away from the tires.

That's a pretty long lever arm..from where the bolts are on the axle tube to the ball (where the weight is applied). Most of the examples above put the ball just a couple of inches from the bolts. I think that is the biggest problem....although it helps with sharp turns, keeping the tounge away from the tires.

Yeah it is. I have it long so I can get around my stealth exhaust

Just my opinion but any hitch like the one on my Kawasaki Mule that ties in at the axle........is junk and when overloaded is going to result is a lot of expensive to fix bent parts.

Just my opinion but any hitch like the one on my Kawasaki Mule that ties in at the axle........is junk and when overloaded is going to result is a lot of expensive to fix bent parts.

For sure. I wouldn't push it when it is tied into the tube like that.

Latest posts

Back