Auger type splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cord, I remember seeing a set up called the Unicorn at the Farm Science review in the 70s. Bolted up to the rear wheel of your car or PU. Looked damn dangerous then and worse now (older and wiser) That thing is right up the street from my office, want me to pick it up and deliver it over to ya?

i recall as a boy my uncle purchased an auger-type splitter.
proud as a peach he was...
we took it out to the field with us, it was kinda muddy out.
got 'er all rigged up, worked OK for a coupla' pieces.
'bout the third piece it caught on a big knot & lifted the truck just enough that it fell off the jack & into the mud.
not a lot of fun from that point on....

watch the video here and your fears will be confirmed...

http://www.thestickler.com/

ya gotta love the way the guy gets his gloved hand right in there with the screw and the wood...

man.....it takes some guts to trust that thing. i was waiting for the log to catch and start spinning.

i have one similar

Hi gang, this is my first post.... i have a splitter almost like the one pictured that i bought at a yard sale for less than 100 bucks, mine is called a "bark buster". Mine has a 3 hp briggs motor, and it does work great, as to speed i know you guys won't believe me but it could easily keep up with a good hydraulic. A friend of mine has one attached to his old garden tractor for years and says he can beat any hydraulic in town.... the only drawback is extremely wild grain or crotch wood. it has a hard time and mostly gets stuck. On some nice straight oak etc. you can really fly....

I have a "Bark Buster"

I have a "Bark Buster" that I bought at an auction a few years ago. I run it on the 3pt of my 22hp diesel tractor. It is at least 4x faster than my buddies hyd (with a 2 stage). Yes, it can be dangerous like any piece of machinery, but if respected will give years of trouble free low maintenance service.

I haven't split anything real stringy with mine, just red oak. I have however split a lot of crotch wood and it has now problems blowing right through it. The little diesel grunts a little on the tough ones, but it gets it done.

Lazer:chainsaw:

I have a "Bark Buster" that I bought at an auction a few years ago. I run it on the 3pt of my 22hp diesel tractor. It is at least 4x faster than my buddies hyd (with a 2 stage). Yes, it can be dangerous like any piece of machinery, but if respected will give years of trouble free low maintenance service.

I haven't split anything real stringy with mine, just red oak. I have however split a lot of crotch wood and it has now problems blowing right through it. The little diesel grunts a little on the tough ones, but it gets it done.

Lazer:chainsaw:
I have seen a Auger type splitter like the one you described and it was a nice unit much faster than a hyd splitter. It was made in Germany or Austria cant remember, really the same if you ask me:)But it did not seem any more dangerous than any other splitter it had guards on it and like everything thing from over there worked better and faster than a regular splitter. But I wouldn't want one bolted to my axle!

i recall as a boy my uncle purchased an auger-type splitter.
proud as a peach he was...
we took it out to the field with us, it was kinda muddy out.
got 'er all rigged up, worked OK for a coupla' pieces.
'bout the third piece it caught on a big knot & lifted the truck just enough that it fell off the jack & into the mud.
not a lot of fun from that point on....

watch the video here and your fears will be confirmed...

http://www.thestickler.com/

I watched the video. The caption says "the most efficient splitter...." what a POS! That thing is sooo slow. I could split faster with my monster maul.

Anybody see where they could put a "safety switch".

On one of the pages they have a list of features. "safety switch" is one of them:confused:

The safety switch is a ground wire or disconnect you run to the ignition coil.

On my application I run it on a tractor with an electric activated PTO in where I can interrupt the circuit with a safety interlock thus stopping the PTO instantly with an E-Stop. I haven't wired it up yet but plan to soon.

You guys wont believe this but my uncle is paralysed and used one of them to split. My aunt would help put wood near him and he would sit on groung next to yhe thing and split away. He did alot of wood with it. He still has it but im afraid of it. IT LOOKS SCARY.:)

You guys wont believe this but my uncle is paralysed and used one of them to split. My aunt would help put wood near him and he would sit on groung next to yhe thing and split away. He did alot of wood with it. He still has it but im afraid of it. IT LOOKS SCARY.:)

Rook,

Yeah, there is plenty to be afraid of on these things, but like with any type of machinery you need to respect it.

Back