Auger type splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a stickler also. $20 at a farm auction. started out on my 4x4 but decided to much wear and tear. so i mounted an old rear end on my three pt. and a driveshaft and run it off my tractor. works great. my friend runs a hydralic pump on his pto and then turns stickler with hydralic motor which also works well.

True story:

25 Years ago I was fixing a banjo for an older guy. He said he had not been able to play for a year and was getting back into it. As I wrote up the repair tag he mentioned he had lost a thumb on a Stickler when the screw caught his glove. (These has just come out, advertised in the Mother Earth News, etc.) I was puzzled, he had a thumb on each hand.

He proceeded to explain that his surgeon had removed one of this toes and grafted it onto his hand. Looked like a damn good job to me, I never would have notcied if he had not mentioned the story.

I made a mental note never to use a Stickler.

My grandfather had one of the tractor mounted PTO driven types. He got his overalls caught in it somehow, and it almost dragged him into the screw. He said the tractor ran out of fuel before it got all of him. His son that bought it for him took it and threw it into one of his farm ponds.

True story:

25 Years ago I was fixing a banjo for an older guy. He said he had not been able to play for a year and was getting back into it. As I wrote up the repair tag he mentioned he had lost a thumb on a Stickler when the screw caught his glove. (These has just come out, advertised in the Mother Earth News, etc.) I was puzzled, he had a thumb on each hand.

He proceeded to explain that his surgeon had removed one of this toes and grafted it onto his hand. Looked like a damn good job to me, I never would have notcied if he had not mentioned the story.

I made a mental note never to use a Stickler.

Friend of mine lost his finger, somehow got caught in a folding steel chair, I still sit in them but I'm really careful. :rolleyes:

Here's one for a skid steer auger mount:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOG-SPLITTER-SP...yZ109296QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought one from him...very satisfied. There is a guy selling a cone splitter for skid steers for around $4k....check out youtube videos. I'll have about $700 in the cone, hydraulic motor, hoses and frame for my skid...he's charging way too much.

now that is interesting since the drive mechanism is a set up from a post hole digger, even looks like the same one i have. i wonder if i can just add a cone to mine and drive around with the tractor and just drop it on the stuff i want. wouldn't loose a finger sitting in my seat.

the ones for the skid steer work the best for the cone application. No need to be cautious about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjnN__87vVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eugC6YXK9fQ

In the second video above you'll notice the same manufacturer enclosed the hydrualic motor inside a metal box...I'm guessing to keep people from realizing it's just a simple motor that's turning the cone...thus he can fool people into paying more for the unit.

In the second video above you'll notice the same manufacturer enclosed the hydrualic motor inside a metal box...I'm guessing to keep people from realizing it's just a simple motor that's turning the cone...thus he can fool people into paying more for the unit.

The second video is nothing more then an actual "Stickler" attached to a hydraulic motor.

I've got a bobcat 7753 and the hydraulic driven hole digger attachment. One auger I have is 3ft. in diameter for digging tree planting holes.

I'd love to give one of these a try on my bobcat and have been writing the different manufacturers that have come up in this thread. So far not a single has had a bolt on attachment for my unit....but have suggested I could make an adapter.

Still looking but I'd love to give one a try before buying. My wood is already cut to length and I'm worried the piece would spin on the ground instead of splitting. My hydraulic drive allows the bit to swing front to back so it drill a vertical hole......and I fear this may be a problem when sinking a spitting bit into wood.

Reading every post!

The "Stickler" bolts up to the hub of the vehicle that is being used to drive it. All you would need to do is get a wheel (rim) with the bolt pattern for the stickler and weld an adapter to the rim to mate up with the auger drive shaft. The stickler can then be bolted to the rim with 6 or 8 bolts and still be used with a truck. My stickler has an 8 bolt pattern and will fit on any Ford, Chevy or Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If you apply downward pressure with the skid-steer as you make contact with the wood, I believe that it would prevent the wood from spinning. There is only one way to find out and video for the rest of us (hint, hint) would be great.

The "Stickler" bolts up to the hub of the vehicle that is being used to drive it. All you would need to do is get a wheel (rim) with the bolt pattern for the stickler and weld an adapter to the rim to mate up with the auger drive shaft. The stickler can then be bolted to the rim with 6 or 8 bolts and still be used with a truck. My stickler has an 8 bolt pattern and will fit on any Ford, Chevy or Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

If you apply downward pressure with the skid-steer as you make contact with the wood, I believe that it would prevent the wood from spinning. There is only one way to find out and video for the rest of us (hint, hint) would be great.

Are you offering to loan yours to TreeCo????

Are you offering to loan yours to TreeCo????

UM, I don't want to take on any liability issues when, I mean, if someone gets hurt. I refer to my Stickler as the Suicide splitter.

Actually I dream of getting a skid steer or a backhoe someday and this would be the perfect setup for the stickler. From the video above it looks like the fatter cone does a better job then the stickler, but you work with what you have on hand.

i have a stickler also. $20 at a farm auction. started out on my 4x4 but decided to much wear and tear. so i mounted an old rear end on my three pt. and a driveshaft and run it off my tractor. works great. my friend runs a hydralic pump on his pto and then turns stickler with hydralic motor which also works well.
I have a Sticker and a old rear end I want do the same thing. Can you tell me more on how you did it?

I have a Bark Buster too

The bark buster I have is the one that runs off a rear tire! It has a frame with rollers that you drive on, then pull the pins out.
It is much faster than most hydraulic splitters in straight grained wood.
I run mine off a 1990 Dodge cummins diesel with 7.17 gears!
I'm out of town right now, I can post some pics next week.

I bought a Stickler, and was prepared for it to be a POS. . .

It is everything people are saying it is. My problems is that I am running 33" tires on my 4x4 and have trouble getting the truck low enough for the rounds to be caught and held against the turning action of the Stickler. I cut my wood at 16" to fit in my Regency stove. Another problem is that once you get the truck low enough you are working right off the ground and it is a killer on the back to have to be constantly bending and getting wood. I split close to eight cords with mine and am looking to spend the money on a hydraulic splitter. I tried to split a big 38" round of poplar that I thought was seasoned enough and the Stickler, with the help of the round, nearly snapped my wrist and forearm into tiny bits when it grabbed, started spinning and then nearly knocked the truck off the axle stand I use.

Troy, I think I'd go to the maul, axe, & wedges before I got into a love affair with that Stickler. 16" wood splits pretty easy, up on a block, sure gotta beat bending that way, almost maiming yourself, and your truck. How many miles go on the odometer to split a cord?

Latest posts

Back