Auger type splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I know. He has offered to let me borrow it but I can use my BIL hyd. splitter any time I want. That seems like to much of a hassle to attach it to my truck. Plus im not sure if I need an adapter for my chevy. He has a ford. I would try it if he had it on his truck.:cheers:

I saw one that was mounted on the post hole digger of a skid steer... it looked great for breaking large rounds down to something more manageable... if you set them up in a row and just go along with the bobcat and just crack em open... the splitting action would take place while you are sitting in the seat.. might be ok if you have a lot of large rounds and work by yourself but the other one I think you need cahones of solid rock to operate.. forget brass ones.. solid granite. :dizzy:

might be ok if you have a lot of large rounds and work by yourself but the other one I think you need cahones of solid rock to operate.. forget brass ones.. solid granite.

I havent heard someone use "cahones" since old Italian I worked with retired. HeHe. :)

might be ok if you have a lot of large rounds and work by yourself but the other one I think you need cahones of solid rock to operate.. forget brass ones.. solid granite.

I havent heard someone use "cahones" since old Italian I worked with retired. HeHe. :)

well I thought it was a little more appropriate than the other word... I hate to offend someone.:)

I saw one that was mounted on the post hole digger of a skid steer... it looked great for breaking large rounds down to something more manageable... if you set them up in a row and just go along with the bobcat and just crack em open... the splitting action would take place while you are sitting in the seat.. might be ok if you have a lot of large rounds and work by yourself but the other one I think you need cahones of solid rock to operate.. forget brass ones.. solid granite. :dizzy:

I have seen them on a skid steer as well where the operator can just roll right up to a pile of large wood and split it. Looked like it worked well.

It is designed to pull across the grain so I'm not sure how it would do on stumps. Across the grain though, mine chews up anything you feed it.

Anyone know who sells these type splitters?

Dont knock a screw type splitter just because its not main stream in the US. The coolest thing about screw splitters is that there is no time wasted on the return stroke. Check out this UK manufacturer...check out the videos. I spent a half hour on their site and all I could think of is "WHy do we not have something like this available in the US¨ ?

http://hycrack.co.uk/

Dont knock a screw type splitter just because its not main stream in the US. The coolest thing about screw splitters is that there is no time wasted on the return stroke. Check out this UK manufacturer...check out the videos. I spent a half hour on their site and all I could think of is "WHy do we not have something like this available in the US¨ ?

My thoughts exactly. The only thing we have available here is a 20 year old unicorn or bark buster if you can find a good one. I recently found a good unicorn on ebay last fall for a little more than I wanted to pay (like all successful ebay auctions). I've only split about a cord with it so far, but it works great. It's really just as unsafe as any other pto equipment and needs to be treated with respect. My guess is it's safer than cutting the trees I feed it with. As you already stated, no time wasted waiting for a return stroke. It will split wood about as fast as you can feed it. The used unicorn was much cheaper than a hydraulic unit too.

Our first "powered" splitter was one of those screw type. We bolted it on the rear axle of a 1/2 ton pickup, put it in gear and split away. Yes it worked on elm because that is all we had to burn at that time. It was dangerous but did a good job. When the elm split, it was petty ugly and stringy but it made ashes and kept us warm.

Like any other piece of machinery you have to be observant and respect the thing. What I hated to do is push against the log with my knee. I could always picture slipping and pushing my knee into that sharp point!

Jim

My thoughts exactly. The only thing we have available here is a 20 year old unicorn or bark buster if you can find a good one. I recently found a good unicorn on ebay last fall for a little more than I wanted to pay (like all successful ebay auctions). I've only split about a cord with it so far, but it works great. It's really just as unsafe as any other pto equipment and needs to be treated with respect. My guess is it's safer than cutting the trees I feed it with. As you already stated, no time wasted waiting for a return stroke. It will split wood about as fast as you can feed it. The used unicorn was much cheaper than a hydraulic unit too.

I paid $50 for mine at a local auction.:rockn:

http://www.thestickler.com

I have one and it works well with straight grained wood. It doesn't work well with stringy woods like pecan or hickory. It is definitely not safe with short pieces of wood.

Thanks, I want to put it on a back hoe and bust some big stuff. Do you think it's tuff enuff for that?

Kinda like this.

Last edited:
now i think about it..

these cones were designed for splitting 1 meter long wood (at least the ones i see around here and back in belgium)

Tractor PTO driven cone, the wood was pushed by a safety cage into the cone on later models.

As mentioned for small wood they are more dangerous as the possibilty that the wood starts rotating is quite big.

I am now wondering 2 things

- What is the most efficient? splitting 1 meter pieces and then cutting them to stove-length or first cutting and then splitting? I prefere to split first and then cut.

- what if a smaller cone would be used on smaller pieces. Something as a scaled down version of this design. Would it not work? and be more safe?
I do not see how a 15cm cone is needed for a small piece of wood as i dont see how a 5cm wide cone (same width as a splitting axe) would be optimal for a 1 meter piece of 12" wood.

I consider trying it out as the mechanical benefits are obvious. Power losses, maintenance, construction costs, timing are all beneficial.

Safety? just look at pictures of wounds caused by chainsaws but also drills, grinders,.... Do you really consider them more safe as you are holding them in your hands or is it a feeling?

Here's one for a skid steer auger mount:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOG-SPLITTER-SP...yZ109296QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought one from him...very satisfied. There is a guy selling a cone splitter for skid steers for around $4k....check out youtube videos. I'll have about $700 in the cone, hydraulic motor, hoses and frame for my skid...he's charging way too much.

I saw that and felt the same way, I think homemade is the way to go. Keep me updated on yours.

Here is another model

Thanks,

Last edited:

Glenn, it's probably not in the US now because of sue-happy people, lawyers, & the cost of product liability insurance. Hey, how many miles would one put on the odometer to split a cord of wood? :jawdrop:

Back