automatic chain-sharpening systems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a sears barracuda with a built in sharpening system.. but i have no clue if that is the proper chain for the setup on my sears saw. saw is quite similar in appearence to a homelite XL Super auto.. but there are enough diffrences to make things hard.

Beaver tooth stuff. I have seen it, tried to use it. The saw was some sort of a Mac, and there was a stone that was pressed into the chain at speed. It almost worked. If you wanted to set fire to the forest this was the saw to have. Large shower of sparks!!!
Other biggie with that saw was we could never get the carb set right on it, and it was a bugger to get started. It was sold and then the 041 showed up.... night and day.

this is one of those concepts that probably worked flawlessly on paper, but in real life operation, it failed.

I think the biggest problem was the raker quickly ended up not being lower then the cutter so even though a new chain would cut good a chain that had been sharpened a few times couldn't get a bite. When these things were popular on Macs, most owners switch them out for standard chain and had the sharpening system removed and plugged with the rubber plug that came with the same saws not sold with the auto-sharp system.

Back