Axe Handle Protectors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyJ

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The sighting of the first copperhead of the season has put an end to my timber sport season. So I cleaned up my heavy hitters, sharpened, and re-hung a couple of them, and after a few more coats of linseed oil I'll store them away for the summer. I do a lot of splitting with the double-bit axe and the handle really takes a beating. Where/how can I buy/make some handle collar protectors or whatever they're called?
View attachment 228888

Couple of choices. Personally, stitch them up from 10-12oz leather or wrap with rawhide.
Piece of canvas from old firehose or inner tube from old bike tube. There was some stuff posted in the F&L thread on Wedges about this.
hth.

The sighting of the first copperhead of the season has put an end to my timber sport season.

One copperhead? You must really be afraid of snakes. I have worked in the woods all summer long and seen plenty of snakes and never worried about them. Now I don't do heavy work when the temps get into the 80's and above but really, one snake and you are done for the year?

Used radiator hoses give really tough protection to axe handles.

I start carrying my 357 with rat shot in it when things get warm - works fine on the copperheads.

Radiator hose, there's a stellar idea

If I was scared of snakes I wouldn't live next to a swampy bayou, regardless, firewooding has always been a winter sport for me.

A nice heavy rubber collar like the one on the maul on the right in my picture below is about $6.49 at just about any hardware store in the area here in PA.

P1050033.JPG

Works best to warm it a little, like laying in the sun, then spray the inside with WD-40 and slide it on. The WD-40 evaporates in about a day, and the collar is there to take a beating instead of your handles (or at least my handles).

I bought this one at a local Ace Hardware, but have seen them at Lowes, TSC, . . .

Here is a online site that carries them for $4.95:
http://www.awesometools.com/handlesavers-handle-savers.asp

Last edited:
We just run a bunch of black tape around the handle by the head around these parts. If it's cold and you hit it, it won't split like some of them rubber jobs, won't dry out like leather, but leather is my second choice. The rubber seems to for me anyway bounce wild when you hit it and I don't like that cause I'm usually around several people and mostly kids. And tape's cheap. Several wraps will last a year or better unless you are just a horrible shot with your splitting device.

Owl

IMHO, it's like the one about "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" "Practice, practice, practice."

If you're strength-testing handles, you're either a) overshooting the target badly, or b) using a tool with the wrong head design.

The first takes time and effort. For the second, an axe-head is probably not spreading the wood enough to let the handle pass. Some mauls may be a little skimpy there too.

One thing that's pretty obvious from a Muller maul that arrived here recently is that "cheeks" that are essentially planes (flat, no bumps) to the center of the eye move the wood away from the handle. Also results in lots of one-hit splits- makes it a fun sport.

A nice heavy rubber collar like the one on the maul on the right in my picture below is about $6.49 at just about any hardware store in the area here in PA.

P1050033.JPG

Works best to warm it a little, like laying in the sun, then spray the inside with WD-40 and slide it on. The WD-40 evaporates in about a day, and the collar is there to take a beating instead of your handles (or at least my handles).

I bought this one at a local Ace Hardware, but have seen them at Lowes, TSC, . . .

Here is a online site that carries them for $4.95:
HandleSavers (Handle Savers) for Single & Double Bit Axes, Sledge Hammers & Splitting Mauls

I use them on my sledge and wedge. Really does the job in saving handles. Don't think I would want one on an ax, too bulky.

Harry K

I have had this splitting device since the 1980's and have not had to replace the handle yet...

Mauls004.jpg

Knowing how to swing any instrument of destruction will go a long ways towards preserving handles.

Latest posts

Back