Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear good things about House Handle again. Maybe they got quality control under control again? The stuff they put into my hardware store over the past couple of years was pretty poor.

Glad to hear good things about House Handle again. Maybe they got quality control under control again? The stuff they put into my hardware store over the past couple of years was pretty poor.
I had initially gotten 4 handles (2 db, 2sb) and all of them looked good. Granted, I did the hand pick and octagon to get as good a grain orientation as possible, and thinned down a bit. I have another slightly bigger order arriving next week, so we’ll see if my initial luck holds.

I had initially gotten 4 handles (2 db, 2sb) and all of them looked good. Granted, I did the hand pick and octagon to get as good a grain orientation as possible, and thinned down a bit. I have another slightly bigger order arriving next week, so we’ll see if my initial luck holds.
Good to hear. I hope it does. Please keep us posted.

Just found this at a local antique store. Probably paid too much ($20) but it’s a Collins Legitimus with the crown and arm. It is 7” long with a 4 1/4 inch bit. Probably hang it on a 28” boys axe handle.View attachment 894850
Looks like the previous owner may have had some fun with a grinding wheel - should clean up nicely with a little file work.

Yeah...Kind of a poor job by the previous owner. I’m not sure it really needs to be reprofiled, just filed and honed on stones - I hope. Any thoughts?

Yeah...Kind of a poor job by the previous owner. I’m not sure it really needs to be reprofiled, just filed and honed on stones - I hope. Any thoughts?
Maybe it’s just a bad angle, but the toe (top) of the bit looks pretty worn down - if it were me, I’d want to file it back to get the while but more in line with itself, more like the photo attached. You may not want to go as drastic, but at least start working it towards that point.8E2D829D-A248-4C10-8FDB-E69EE18D7C8A.jpeg

I’m glad you said that. I have no idea how to do that with a hand file. I’ve been able to push and draw file to get a sharp edge, but I’ve never had to change the edge geometry like you suggest. Any helpful hints how to best do that? I do not have any power tools to use to accomplish this.

Do you just take the file and use it perpendicular to the edge to make the curve more symmetrical?
That’s usually what I end up doing - depending on how bad it is, sometimes I’ll take a grinder with 40 or 80 grit flap disc to take some material off. Makes it a little faster, but I always monitor the heat of the bit so I don’t mess with the temper.

Latest posts

Back